Add Stablebit DrivePool support to Image Guardian?

Author
HTWingNut
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I use Stablebit DrivePool for my home server storage. It periodically needs to shuffle files across drives, or in event of a failed drive evacuate the files off the failed drive, but Image Guardian blocks this ability. Is there any way to add support to allow DrivePool to move the files without deactivating it altogether? Thanks.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
Image Guardian only trusts Macrium applications, and optionally Robocopy, although even then only when certain conditions are satisfied with regard to the particular Robocopy command being run.  Full details in the KB article here.  Support for other applications would require Macrium to implement it, although the more applications that are deemed trustworthy, the less secure Image Guardian will become because malware would have more options for attempting to impersonate a trusted application.  As is almost always the case, security and convenience are a tradeoff.

Edited 9 May 2020 4:12 PM by jphughan
HTWingNut
HTWingNut
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
jphughan - 9 May 2020 4:11 PM
Image Guardian only trusts Macrium applications, and optionally Robocopy, although even then only when certain conditions are satisfied with regard to the particular Robocopy command being run.  Full details in the KB article here.  Support for other applications would require Macrium to implement it, although the more applications that are deemed trustworthy, the less secure Image Guardian will become because malware would have more options for attempting to impersonate a trusted application.  As is almost always the case, security and convenience are a tradeoff.

Thanks. Yeah I understand. But on the same token if it's a user selectable option then by default it doesn't lose any security, only if a user changes it, and allow copy to certain devices. I dunno, just thinking out loud.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
For what it's worth, there are other applications that do this sort of thing and are designed to allow you to choose which file types to protect and which applications get access.  The additional flexibility of course means that you'll need to spend a bit more time getting things working compared to a turnkey solution like Image Guardian, but on the other hand you'll be more likely to be able to achieve what you want.  Pumpernickel is one such solution (link).  I haven't used it myself but I've read good things.  It's not quite free, but it's very inexpensive.

HTWingNut
HTWingNut
Thanks for that! That looks like a good option. 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search