Can Macrium backup Windows Server Deduplication drives?

Author
uit
New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Is Macrium able to backup disk drive volumes that have been deduplicated using Windows Server 2016 & 2019 Deduplication?

If yes, does backing up a deduplicated volume also function in a Macrium Windows PE backup?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
See this thread for some potentially useful info: https://forum.macrium.com/34986/Windows-Server-2019-DeDuplication-Macrium
uit
uit
New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)
Thanks for the link.  The servers I want to backup contain critical data, so I'm looking for a definitive statement from Macrium that Reflect is deliberately designed to fully support backing up Windows Server Deduplication volumes.  I've searched high and low but came up empty handed. Any thoughts on how to obtain an authoritative answer?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
Macrium developers are active on this forum, so you may hear from them here even if they didn’t respond to that other thread. Or you can submit a formal support ticket to ask. But even if you get a formal response, if you’d be deploying this for critical data I would strongly recommend performing the virtual disk test that I described in that other thread, just to make sure capabilities seem to be as advertised. And of course performing that test would at least give you an indication of whether it appears to work before you get any additional info from Macrium. It’s really not very much work to create a VHDX-hosted virtual disk, enable deduplication on it. load a few copies of an identical file on it, and then try backing it up with Reflect.
Edited 8 May 2020 5:49 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search