Can't copy partition even though there is enough space

Author
BenR29
New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, I have struggled with this before.
I have a source SSD.  It is an OS drive for Win10, so it has the recovery partition. 

There is an unfortunate gap of 50 GB between the OS partition and the recovery partition.

I have booted to a macrium generated boot disk.
The source drive is 465gb and the target drive is 447gb.

I am able to copy the OS partition to the target drive, but no matter how much space I have left, I can not copy the recovery partition to the target drive. 
The recovery partition is 0.5gb.
My target drive can have 25gb free, or 1gb free, macrium still reports "Not all copied.  Insufficient space."

At first I tried to do all of the copying in one operation, then I tried copying one partition at a time.

The two attached images show what the screen looks like when I am stuck.  I have been able to make this copy before, but I forget how.  I would appreciate any help.

Ideally I wouldn't have to do this in the first place, since I just want to expand my OS partition to take up the empty space, but this issue is still perplexing and I want to be able to make OS disk clones..

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)
The issue is that the Recovery partition is a tiny partition at the very end of a larger disk.  When you choose to copy a partition as you're doing, Reflect attempts to copy it to the same "position" on the target disk.  The problem with that here is that the beginning sector value for that small partition at the end of the larger source disk is a number that isn't even valid on the smaller destination disk.

The fix is to drag and drop the Recovery partition "block" from the Source to the Destination, since drag and drop allows partitions to be repositioned -- but before you do that, you should extend your C partition to fill the remainder of the disk minus the 509 MB necessary to fit the Recovery partition.  This can be done within Windows or using the diskpart command line tool within Rescue Media (you can access Command Prompt there by clicking its icon in the taskbar).

Lastly, speaking of that Rescue Media taskbar, notice the little camera icon down there.  If you click that, Reflect will capture a full screen screenshot and ask you where you want to save the file.  It's a much handier way of capturing Rescue Media images than taking photos.  You'll get files that are smaller and much easier for others to read. Smile

Edited 8 May 2020 10:40 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)
I forgot to add that in terms of how to do this in one pass, for future reference Macrium's KB article about cloning a disk here covers this.  You'll want to take a look at Steps 4 and 5.  They show this drag and drop method and also show that you can resize "staged" partitions during the clone itself.  I don't think the latter can be used to resize your OS partition on the destination at this point since it's now an existing partition rather than a partition that's about to be created during a clone operation, but following those instructions in Macrium's documentation would have allowed you to perform the entire clone operation in a single operation while achieving your desired end result, both in terms of in terms of partition sizing and placement.  Macrium's documentation is better than most and is worth reading. Smile

Edited 8 May 2020 10:41 PM by jphughan
BenR29
BenR29
New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)
jphughan - 8 May 2020 2:23 PM
I forgot to add that in terms of how to do this in one pass, for future reference Macrium's KB article about cloning a disk here covers this.  You'll want to take a look at Steps 4 and 5.  They show this drag and drop method and also show you you can resize "staged" partitions during the clone itself.  I don't think the latter can be used to resize your OS partition on the destination at this stage since it's now an existing partition rather than a partition that's about to be created during a clone, but following those instructions in Macrium's documentation would have allowed you to perform the entire clone operation in a single operation while achieving your desired end result in terms of partition sizing and placement.  Macrium's documentation is better than most and is worth reading. Smile

Holy cow, thank you so much.  I was used to drag and drop from some other software in the past, but for some reason I didn't think I could do it here.  I had also thought there must be a screenshot option but I was tired and I forgot to look!

When I'm messing with my system partition I'm always nervous and overwhelmed and in a hurry to get it over with.  I appreciate the hand-holding.  In previous lifetimes I would have stuck it out to figure it out myself, but I'm just overwhelmed nowadays.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
No worries at all, glad I could help! Stay safe and have a good weekend. Smile

BenR29
BenR29
jphughan - 8 May 2020 10:37 PM
No worries at all, glad I could help! Stay safe and have a good weekend. Smile

Hi, thank you again for your help.  You stay safe too!

Just some notes in case anyone comes across this thread in a search.
These are not to contradict anything you said.
You have to be in the "wizard" or dialog that comes up AFTER you select "clone disk" in order to drag and drop partitions!  Can't believe I was making that mistake, which should have been obvious.  I kinda want to check if the "bootable" version of macrium allows partition dragging or not, I will update this if I get a chance to check.

Windows Disk Management does not let you extend your OS partition, so you'll have to do it from another place as @jphughan said.  I skimmed over the part about using diskpart and a boot disk and thought "well gee if disk management doesn't work..."

sigh it's been a long week and I know it is obvious I am displaying comprehension problems Smile.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
The bootable Reflect Rescue Media allows drag and drop too.  I've used it many times.

Windows Disk Management absolutely does let you extend your OS partition, though, while running Windows from the partition that's being extended.  I've also done that many times.  I'm not sure why you weren't able to do that.

Diskpart can do stuff that Windows Disk Management doesn't though, so even if it were true that Disk Management couldn't do something, diskpart might be able to.  And diskpart can be used from within Windows too, not just from bootable media.

Edited 9 May 2020 1:14 AM by jphughan
BenR29
BenR29
Yup I confirmed the bootable media allows drag and drop.

Are we talking about the same thing?  I'm talking "right click on start -> Disk Management
Anyway, that's why I thought it was worth mentioning that Disk Management didn't work.  I should have put "FOR ME" after that, I need to be more careful than that.

The disk is "Basic" but I just noticed it is in MBR mode (I have converted to GPT in the past but then noticed I had undone it.)  So maybe you need to be using GPT?  I thought I had remembered Disk Management working before, and that's why I mentioned it here. 

I've been surprised by how well diskpart and windows play together. 

I'm going to try converting my system to GPT again.  I'll report back if I find that changes anything.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Yes, we're talking about the same Disk Management.  I've successfully used it to extend OS partitions on both MBR and GPT disks.  I've worked in IT for 15 years, so I've had plenty of occasions to do it. Smile  No idea why it's not working for you though.  My experience has been that Windows allows me to extend any partition that is formatted in a file system it understands (i.e. not Linux partitions) and that has unallocated directly adjacent to the partition's current end sector, which seems to be the case with your disk based on your Reflect screenshot from earlier.

I'm not sure how you "undid" an MBR to GPT conversion short of restoring an image backup that was captured pre-conversion.  Diskpart only supports going from MBR to GPT, not back.  Although if you used some other tool to tinker with your disk, that might have caused something that prevented you from extending your OS partition.

Diskpart and Windows SHOULD play well together seeing as Diskpart is a utility that's been maintained by Microsoft and integrated into Windows since forever. Smile

Converting a disk that contains an OS partition from MBR to GPT is not as simple as converting a data-only disk.  If you perform the "basic" conversion from MBR to GPT, you will render your OS disk unbootable.  The reason is that GPT disks are designed to be booted in UEFI mode rather than Legacy BIOS mode.  So if you switch to GPT, first of all need to then configure your system to boot in UEFI mode instead of BIOS mode, assuming it even supports that.  Additionally, a GPT disk containing an OS needs some additional partitions that an MBR disk doesn't have, and a basic MBR to GPT conversion won't create those, which means that even if you switched your system to UEFI mode, it STILL wouldn't boot from that particular GPT disk.  Microsoft has a utility that is actually designed to perform an in-place conversion of an OS disk from MBR to GPT, including creating the additional necessary partitions, although they confusingly just called it "MBR2GPT".  But even that involves switching your system to UEFI mode after the conversion.

Edited 9 May 2020 2:31 AM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Forgot to add to the above that you might be able to gain more insight as to what's preventing you from extending your OS partition if you use diskpart.  Enter the commands to select the correct disk, then the correct partition (1, judging by your screenshot), and then type "extend".  If you get an error message, what does it say?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search