Not receiving emails since update 7.2.4859 (24.4.2020)

Author
Uwe Dembski
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Since updating to Version 7.2.4859 I am not receiving emails any more. 
Settings:
Authentifizierung: Automatische Erkennung (automatic Identifikation)
smtp server: smtp.web.de
Verbindungsart: STARTTLS
smtp.port: 587

By testing these settings I receive:
Error Code 55
Failed sending datat to peer (error Code LC55)
Mail failed 530
530 Authentication required.

Before updating everything was working fine!​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​
Edited 3 May 2020 11:11 AM by Uwe Dembski
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
Try changing from Automatic to “Username and password”, assuming that you’re using a username and password. Otherwise, are you running any third-party antivirus? I remember working with someone here who was having trouble getting email notifications working, and it finally turned out that an update to his antivirus had caused it to start interfering with Reflect sending email — and antivirus updates automatically all the time.
Uwe Dembski
Uwe Dembski
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Thank your for responding. 
I have tried Username and Password. But that didnot help. The error Code was 33.
I am using GData for virus-scanning.
I have found another solution: I switched to another email-adress an now it is working fine.

P.S.
I did not receive an email to confirm the Forum-Activation. The reason why I am in the Status "Group: Awaiting Activation".
​​​​​​​
Lee
Lee
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (199 reputation)Macrium Representative (199 reputation)Macrium Representative (199 reputation)Macrium Representative (199 reputation)Macrium Representative (199 reputation)Macrium Representative (199 reputation)Macrium Representative (199 reputation)Macrium Representative (199 reputation)Macrium Representative (199 reputation)Macrium Representative (199 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hello Uwe Dembski,

Thanks for posting,

We have gone ahead and fully activated your forum account. We would advise you check your spam/junk folder in your email in case the messages have ended up there.

Kind regards,

Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Edited 4 May 2020 9:08 AM by Lee
Uwe Dembski
Uwe Dembski
Thank you!
I received no emails, neither junk- nor spamfolder.
Kind regards,
Uwe

ajschmidt
ajschmidt
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Beginning May 1, 2020 my email server at IONOS.com began rejecting all messages generated by the Reflect software.  The v7.2.4859 software had been running without error prior to that date.  During troubleshooting, the Reflect Test Message resulted in this error message:
Error Code: 56    Failure when receiving data from the peer (Error Code LC56)
554-Transaction failed
554-Reject due to policy restrictions.
554 For explanation visit:  https://www.ionos.com/help/index.php?id=2425

The Reflect Email settings that had been working for many months were: 
Authentication:  Secure Username / Password Login (AUTH LOGIN)
SMTP Server:  smtp.ionos.com
Connection Type: Transport Layer Security (STARTTLS)
SMTP Port: 587

Since then, I have tried all of the other possible settings combinations in the Test Message, all of which resulted in failure.

The IONOS.com website offered one possible clue at:  
https://www.ionos.com/help/email/general-topics/settings-for-your-email-programs-imap-pop3/
where they caution at the bottom with:
"Please note: Activate the SMTP authentication option for the outgoing mail server (SMTP), not the SPA option."
That warning brings up the possibility that the problem is with Reflect's authentication protocol.

The IONOS.com support people sent me a reply saying that the Reflect message may be non compliant with
the RFC-2822 standards for messages: 
Dear Sir or Madam,
Your e-mail was rejected by our SMTP server because it does not comply with the defined standards from RFC5321 and RFC5322.
Please make sure that the e-mail client meets the following criteria for sending e-mails:
1. the header of your e-mail must contain a valid "Date:" entry according to RFC2822: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2822#section-3.3
2. the following field types must be unique: "Date:", "From:", "Sender:", "To:", "CC:", "BCC:", "Subject:"
3. if the above field types are included, they must not be empty and have to be syntactically correct

We adhere to the recommendations of RFC7103 and do not automatically correct erroneous messages because this would invalidate DKIM signatures.
Sincerely,  IONOS Customer Service

And finally to note, I have also been using other software utilities including Syncovery file synchronizer and the Synology Diskstation NAS system to send automated email notifications using the same credentials, and it is only Macrium Reflect that has suddenly lost its ability to send out email messages.

Macrium, please look into this and come up with a solution.
Thank you!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
@ajschmidt You quoted guidance from your mail provider specifying not to use SPA, and it seems your Reflect mail settings are set to use SPA because you're using "Secure Username/Password login (AUTH LOGIN)".  SPA = Secure Password Authentication.  Try changing that option in Reflect to "Username/Password login (AUTH PLAIN)".  As long as you've got connection encryption enabled, which you do, your credentials will still be protected in transit -- and you won't be using SPA.  If email alerts previously worked even on 7.2.4859 and subsequently broke WITHOUT you updating to a different Reflect version, then this seems this might be caused by a policy change on your mail provider's side, not something that suddenly broke in Reflect.

Edited 6 May 2020 9:31 PM by jphughan
ajschmidt
ajschmidt
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
jphughan - 6 May 2020 9:27 PM
@ajschmidt You quoted guidance from your mail provider specifying not to use SPA, and it seems your Reflect mail settings are set to use SPA because you're using "Secure Username/Password login (AUTH LOGIN)".  SPA = Secure Password Authentication.  Try changing that option in Reflect to "Username/Password login (AUTH PLAIN)".  As long as you've got connection encryption enabled, which you do, your credentials will still be protected in transit -- and you won't be using SPA.  If email alerts previously worked even on 7.2.4859 and subsequently broke WITHOUT you updating to a different Reflect version, then this seems this might be caused by a policy change on your mail provider's side, not something that suddenly broke in Reflect.

Thanks for the reply. I tried using the AUTH PLAIN method and it generated the same error code 56 as before, and Reflect offers no "SMTP authentication" option that IONOS mentioned. Since this problem began exactly on May 1, it's very likely caused by something that IONOS changed, which could be either an authentication requirement, or an email header content policy. 

As for the possibility that it's a policy problem with the content or formatting of Reflect's message, below are listed the essential elements pulled from each of the three automated email-sending devices that I use daily. 
It is very interesting to see that only the Macrium Reflect message violates the IONOS policy #2 for the "From" and "To" fields:
(2. the following field types must be unique: "Date:", "From:", "Sender:", "To:", "CC:", "BCC:", "Subject:") 

If indeed that is the cause of the rejections by the IONOS mail server, then Reflect would need to be modified so that it generates unique content for the "From" and "To" fields, as the other two device manufacturers have managed to do to be in compliance with the messaging standards.

Email Message Header Comparison
====================================================================================
Macrium Reflect message header
====================================================================================
Return-Path: <Macrium-Automation@WebsiteDomain.com>
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="_d64505a1-4355-4c8b-a426-3b200_"
Mime-Version: 1.0

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 17:32:47 -0500
From: Macrium Reflect Backups <Macrium-Automation@WebsiteDomain.com>
To: Macrium Reflect Backups <Macrium-Automation@WebsiteDomain.com>
Subject: M64: C-Drive Backup (Set-B) Completed

Message-ID: <1M58Wm-1jVOCB3gA8-001AkK@mrelay.perfora.net>

Syncovery message header
Return-Path: <SyncoverySync_M64@WebsiteDomain.com>

From: "Syncovery Sync Session" <SyncoverySync_M64@WebsiteDomain.com>
Subject: M64: Versioned Copy All X: Drive Files to M64 Storage: 22 copied
To: SyncoverySync_M64@WebsiteDomain.com

Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Sender: Syncovery Sync Session <SyncoverySync_M64@WebsiteDomain.com>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 18:06:54 -0500

X-Mailer: Syncovery for Windows
Message-ID: <1My3lb-1jE83t2hHb-00zZ8s@mrelay.perfora.net>

Synology message header
Return-Path: < DevicePort@WebsiteDomain >

Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 07:18:17 -0500
To: <Andrew@WebsiteDomain.com>
Subject: =?UTF-8?B?RGlza3N0YXRpb25Wb2x1bWUgMiBvbiBEaXNrU3RhdGlvbiBpcyBpbiBleHRyZW1lbHkgbG93IGNhcGFjaXR5?=

Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Message-ID: <0MEGhK-1jKcld37DE-00FUsx@mrelay.perfora.net>

Edited 7 May 2020 5:10 PM by ajschmidt
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Are the From addresses you’re using real email addresses? If the domain on your From address is your mail provider’s, then I wonder if your provider is rejecting them because they would be able to see that the From address isn’t a valid address associated with an actual mailbox. And if your From address is using a different domain, then your mail provider might be performing SPF/DKIM checks against those messages, which would fail in this scenario. Have you tried using a legitimate From email address on your provider’s domain, even your own email address?

On the other hand if you’re also doing this on your Synology and your mail provider is happy with that practice there, then the issue may lie elsewhere.
Edited 6 May 2020 10:58 PM by jphughan
ajschmidt
ajschmidt
jphughan - 6 May 2020 10:58 PM
Are the From addresses you’re using real email addresses? If the domain on your From address is your mail provider’s, then I wonder if your provider is rejecting them because they would be able to see that the From address isn’t a valid address associated with an actual mailbox. And if your From address is using a different domain, then your mail provider might be performing SPF/DKIM checks against those messages, which would fail in this scenario. Have you tried using a legitimate From email address on your provider’s domain, even your own email address?

On the other hand if you’re also doing this on your Synology and your mail provider is happy with that practice there, then the issue may lie elsewhere.

Very sorry for the confusion, I should have made note in my posting that I had substituted the fictitious domain name "WebsiteDomain.com" in place of my real domain, to prevent skimming.  In fact those are excerpts of real email message headers pulled from successfully transmitted messages on the listed dates.

The identified problem is the fact that Macrium Reflect is generating identical content for both the "From" and the "To" message fields, which is a technical violation of the Internet messaging standards RFC5321 and RFC5322.  This problem has been latent within Reflect for a long time, but generally ignored by the email service providers. 1&1 IONOS.com decided to begin strictly enforcing that standard on May 1, and so it's likely that's why the Reflect email messages are now being rejected. 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search