3D Graphcs

Author
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Well, this viBoot idea is a very interesting turn for a company involved primarily in backups and imaging/cloning.  My first thought was, "My, what an odd combination."  My second thought was, "Why didn't I ever think of such a feature...  What a brilliant idea!"  This explains a few things, such as growing the company and why things have been more quiet in recent months with regard to updates and additions to Reflect.  I think I'm about to install and test this out - I just installed the MS Hyper-V components and need to reboot the machine before downloading and installing viBoot.

As a long-time user (15+ years?) of VMware Workstation, I don't believe this viBoot technology will or is intended to replace VMware's product.  I can see a different type of use for viBoot, especially seeing as I expect Workstation won't ever boot a Reflect image, even after it is "doctored" by viBoot.  So, what are the possibilities of higher end 3D graphics acceleration in viBoot machines at some point?  Or some of the other features provided by Workstation such as using USB devices connected to the host in the virtual environment?  These are just curiosities to me; I can see viBoot as a tool to be used for things you wouldn't be able to do as quickly/easily with a full-blown VMware Workstation vm.

Very interesting...
JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Gork,

Thank you for your interest in Macrium viBoot.

Your observation that Macrium viBoot is not designed to replace hypervisor products such as VMWare Workstation, is correct.

Macrium viBoot is designed to compliment such hypervisor software by allowing the user to skip lengthy conversion processes (i.e. MRIMG to VHD) and provide an instant way to connect the hypervisor software to Macrium Reflect image files, allowing the virtual machine to be started directly from the image. At present, we only support Microsoft's hypervisor software "Hyper-V", but we do intend to support other virtualization software in future.

Support for 3D graphics acceleration and USB devices is totally dependent on the virtualization software used and is something that can be configured by the user after viBoot has created the virtual machine. For Microsoft Hyper-V, you might be interested in their RemoteFx software, but please be aware that this is a Microsoft product and not something that we provide support for.

Kind Regards,
Jamie - Macrium Support

Kind Regards

Jamie

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thank you for your reply.  I have read more about Hyper-V now and am more aware of its capabilities.  If I understand correctly their connection used to view the GUI of the running vm uses RDP technology which does not currently provide the best in graphics performance anyway.  I did read there were other solutions (perhaps the RemoteFx software you referred to) which allow you to use a 3D graphics card in the virtual environment, but nothing like what Workstation does with its virtual 3D graphics card.

I guess the most important thing I learned is, as you've iterated, that none of this type of thing has anything to do with viBoot, really.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search