Failed to access [usb drive name] It is possible that the disk has been removed

Author
maw62
Talented Member
Talented Member (143 reputation)Talented Member (143 reputation)Talented Member (143 reputation)Talented Member (143 reputation)Talented Member (143 reputation)Talented Member (143 reputation)Talented Member (143 reputation)Talented Member (143 reputation)Talented Member (143 reputation)Talented Member (143 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Just updated Macrium Reflect Free.
As always I also launched the Macrium Rescue Media Builder. So far this always went fine, but this I got an error:

Failed to access 'KingstonDT Elite HS 2.0 - J:
KINGSTON2GB- 1.94 GB'
It is possible that the disk has been removed.

This disk was not removed. I had to r-click the USB button in the task to 'Safely Remove' the usb drive.
Formatted the drive and tried again, same error.
Tried another USB port, same error.
Tried another USB thumbdrive, same problem.
Rescuemedia .log file attached (renamed to .txt)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
=

Attachments
rescuemedia.txt (2 views, 2.00 KB)
Chris
Chris
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)Macrium Representative (253 reputation)
Group: Moderators
maw62 - 28 April 2020 2:04 PM
Just updated Macrium Reflect Free.
As always I also launched the Macrium Rescue Media Builder. So far this always went fine, but this I got an error:

Failed to access 'KingstonDT Elite HS 2.0 - J:
KINGSTON2GB- 1.94 GB'
It is possible that the disk has been removed.

This disk was not removed. I had to r-click the USB button in the task to 'Safely Remove' the usb drive.
Formatted the drive and tried again, same error.
Tried another USB port, same error.
Tried another USB thumbdrive, same problem.
Rescuemedia .log file attached (renamed to .txt)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
=

Hi @maw62

Thanks for posting, sorry you are having problems.

Please can you raise a support ticket here: https://helpme.macrium.com and if possible please include the following log file:
C:\ProgramData\Macrium\Reflect\RMBuilder\rescuemedia_usbcreate.log

This file will contain more info for scrutiny.

Kind regards

--
Chris Bamford
Macrium Reflect Development & Support
KnowledgeBase: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/
YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Macrium

Next Webinar

maw62
maw62
Talented Member
Talented Member (143 reputation)Talented Member (143 reputation)Talented Member (143 reputation)Talented Member (143 reputation)Talented Member (143 reputation)Talented Member (143 reputation)Talented Member (143 reputation)Talented Member (143 reputation)Talented Member (143 reputation)Talented Member (143 reputation)
Thanks for your quick reply. I  -think-  I might have the found the problem.
Likely.. something to do with conflicting drive letter assignments.
Am seeking a way to solve this and will get back on this once resolved.
Thanks again.

maw62
maw62
Talented Member
Matter (most probably) solved.
I am using a tool that firmly assigns drive letters to USB drives (USBDLM)
Within the settings of this tool, drive letter "J:" , the conflicting one above, was assigned to a virtual container.
When the virtual container is -not- mounted, then Windows releases that drive letter as being free.
The USB thumb drive then takes that drive letter.
However, this is in conflict with USBDLM, that is trying to assign the drive letter to a (non mounted) virtual drive.
Process of mounting, unmounting, mounting, unmounting... starts.
I have removed this drive letter from the USBDLM settings.
This time cCreating a rescue disk went fine.
Curious thing though is that I have this setup for years and never encountered problems.
OTOH It could be that, by mere coincidence, Macrium selected another drive letter those cases... I don't remember.
Anyway, it looks like the matter is solved.
Sorry for the confusion.

maw62
maw62
Talented Member
maw62 - 28 April 2020 2:59 PM
Thanks for your quick reply. I  -think-  I might have the found the problem.
Likely.. something to do with conflicting drive letter assignments.
Am seeking a way to solve this and will get back on this once resolved.
Thanks again.

Just a short follow up on this. Indeed it involved a conflict with regards to drive access.
One program reserved the drive letter, but as the drive was not in use, it was basically 'free'.
When another program started using this 'reserved' drive letter it resulted in mounting-unmounting behavior.
Matter is solved now.

Morten
Morten
New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)New Member (32 reputation)
Hi there

I'm having the exact same problem with no solution!
Have tried two different USB drives on my second Win 7 pro PC - both fails.
On my main Win 10 PC I have no problems with the same process.
Please sort out the problem.

Cheers,
Morten

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search