4859 update -- Scheduled backups fail silently (no log file), scheduled task says success

Author
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
This afternoon (24 April) I noticed that I didn't get a backup on the previous night as scheduled, even though my PC is on 24/7.  It got stranger when I checked the Log tab and found that there was no log item at all for that night.  It got stranger still when I checked the Scheduled Backups tab and it showed that the last execution of the scheduled task was the previous night (23 April) at the designated time, and the Last Result was Successful.  So this evening I watched my PC to see what would happen.  At the scheduled time, the postponement dialog popped up.  I let it count down, after which it disappeared, and then....nothing.  I checked Task Scheduler, and it now indicated that my Reflect scheduled task had just run and completed successfully -- but Reflect never did anything beyond displaying that postponement dialog.  And once again I have no job log within Reflect.

The only thing I can think of that might account for this is that I updated to 7.2.4859 on 23 April before my scheduled backup time.  I did not restart after that update, but the updater didn't prompt me to do so.  I'm wondering if restarting my PC at this point might resolve this, but I'm refraining from doing so in case Macrium Support might want to work with me to determine root cause in case this issue might also affect other users.  If this is occurring elsewhere, some users might simply not be noticing this yet if they don't check their backups regularly and/or only have email notifications enabled for failed backups, which would NOT be sent in this case since the job isn't running at all.  (This incidentally is a textbook example of why I recommend having email notifications for both failed and successful backups in order to have positive confirmation of the latter!)

Screenshot taken before the 24 April backup time below, showing that the scheduled task last ran on 23 April allegedly successfully, even though my most recent backup is from 22 April.  As of this writing, my backup files look exactly the same, but Reflect now shows that the scheduled task for my backup last ran today (24 April), again allegedly successfully.

@Nick, any ideas or interest in chasing this down on my PC?

Edited 25 April 2020 3:48 PM by jphughan
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)
Group: Administrators
jphughan - 25 April 2020 12:10 AM
This afternoon (24 April) I noticed that I didn't get a backup on the previous night as scheduled, even though my PC is on 24/7.  It got stranger when I checked the Log tab and found that there was no log item at all for that night.  It got stranger still when I checked the Scheduled Backups tab and it showed that the last execution of the scheduled task was the previous night (23 April) at the designated time, and the Last Result was Successful.  So this evening I watched my PC to see what would happen.  At the scheduled time, the postponement dialog popped up.  I let it count down, after which it disappeared, and then....nothing.  I checked Task Scheduler, and it now indicated that my Reflect scheduled task had just run and completed successfully -- but Reflect never did anything beyond displaying that postponement dialog.  And once again I have no job log within Reflect.

The only thing I can think of that might account for this is that I updated to 7.2.4859 on 23 April before my scheduled backup time.  I did not restart after that update, but the updater didn't prompt me to do so.  I'm wondering if restarting my PC at this point might resolve this, but I'm refraining from doing so in case Macrium Support might want to work with me to determine root cause in case this issue might also affect other customers.  They might simply not be noticing this yet if they don't check their backups regularly and/or only have email notifications enabled for failed backups, which would NOT be sent in this case since the job isn't running at all.  (This incidentally is a textbook example of why I recommend having email notifications for both failed and successful backups in order to have positive confirmation of the latter!)

Screenshot taken before the 24 April backup time below, showing that the scheduled task last ran on 23 April allegedly successfully, even though my most recent backup is from 22 April.  As of this writing, my backup files look exactly the same, but Reflect now shows that the scheduled task for my backup last ran today (24 April), again allegedly successfully.

Thanks for posting and sorry you're having problems.

Could you check the for a file named c:\reflectv7.2-4859-x64-xx.dmp and let us know if found? 

Kind Regards

Nick

Macrium Support

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

Hendrick99
Hendrick99
Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)
Nick - 25 April 2020 9:25 AM
jphughan - 25 April 2020 12:10 AM

The only thing I can think of that might account for this is that I updated to 7.2.4859 on 23 April before my scheduled backup time.  I did not restart after that update, but the updater didn't prompt me to do so.  I'm wondering if restarting my PC at this point might resolve this, but I'm refraining from doing so in case Macrium Support might want to work with me to determine root cause in case this issue might also affect other customers.  They might simply not be noticing this yet if they don't check their backups regularly and/or only have email notifications enabled for failed backups, which would NOT be sent in this case since the job isn't running at all.  (This incidentally is a textbook example of why I recommend having email notifications for both failed and successful backups in order to have positive confirmation of the latter!)

Thanks for posting and sorry you're having problems.

Could you check the for a file named c:\reflectv7.2-4859-x64-xx.dmp and let us know if found? 

No problems here with the latest update. However, I make it a rule to always update the Rescue Media and then reboot
the system to see if the stand-alone rescue procedure still works okay. But I can see your point in waiting for the Macrium
Support Team to not reboot and wait for their findings to surface.

Hendrick / Amsterdam
Edited 25 April 2020 11:02 AM by Hendrick99
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Nick, no dump file at the root of my C partition.

Hendrick, I generally avoid restarting unless there’s an indication that I need to. Reflect installers and updates tell me when they decide that a restart is necessary, and this particular update didn’t show that prompt. Since I don’t have CBT installed, most Reflect updates don’t show that prompt.
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)
Group: Administrators
jphughan - 25 April 2020 1:55 PM
Nick, no dump file at the root of my C partition.Hendrick, I generally avoid restarting unless there’s an indication that I need to. Reflect installers and updates tell me when they decide that a restart is necessary, and this particular update didn’t show that prompt. Since I don’t have CBT installed, most Reflect updates don’t show that prompt.

Hi JP

Please can you reboot to see if that helps. If not, then could you open a support ticket so we can investigate further. Thanks!

Kind Regards

Nick

Macrium Support

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
In the hopes of having to wait until my scheduled backup time, prior to rebooting I confirmed that a manual invocation of the scheduled task resulted in the same behavior.  And now after rebooting, a manual invocation actually performs a backup.  So all seems back to normal.  Still curious as to what caused the problem to begin with though!

Reflecting Mirror
Reflecting Mirror
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)
@jphughan

Anything in the Microsoft Event Viewer when the issue occurs?
Edited 25 April 2020 6:21 PM by Reflecting Mirror
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Reflecting Mirror - 25 April 2020 6:19 PM
@jphughan

Anything in the Microsoft Event Viewer when the issue occurs?

In the Application log, during the time when no actual backups were being performed, I just have log entries for Reflect starting and ending.  By comparison, when I manually invoked the scheduled task after restarting this morning, I see occurrences of those log entries, but I also see "Backup started" and "Backup completed" entries.

PhabGuy
PhabGuy
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
I'm having the same problem. I have a scheduled backup that was operating fine until last Sunday (July 23) when I noticed there was no backup taken and no log file. However, the scheduled backup status said the job ran and ended with "success" status. I can run the schedule backup manually and I observe what the OP saw:
- the Scheduled Backups screen shows the job has started
- the postponement dialog appears. I click OK.
- then almost immediately, the Scheduled Backups screen shows the job is finished with "success" status and it is ready to run at the next scheduled time.
- no backup is actually done and no backup log is created.

The scheduled backup has been "running" on schedule since July 23 and showing "success" each time in the Scheduled Backups screen. However, no backups are happening and there are no backup logs. I've been running these backups manually from the definition file.

I confirmed that the definition file works fine when run manually.

I have rebooted my PC as suggested in the earlier posts. I have disabled and reenabled the job. These steps didn't help.

I am running Macrium Reflect Home 64-bit v8.1 build 7544 on Windows 10.

Any suggestions as to how I can troubleshoot this further?

Thanks.
Edited 28 July 2023 5:06 PM by PhabGuy
Drac144
Drac144
Master
Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)
You did not mention what happens when you manually kick of the SCHEDULED backup.  That is not the same as running the definition file manually.  

Were there any changes to your system around the day the backup stopped working such as a Windows update or changes in user credentials?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search