Recovery environment does not see backups on NAS

Author
walam
New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The system is Win 10 Pro.
MR is Home Edition, V7.2.3957
The backup files are maintained by MR on an ether-networked Synology NAS.
The recovery USB has freshly installed Win PE 10 Release 1709 (64bit) [UEFI] - all generated by latest version of MR "Create Rescue Media".
When Win 10 MR Restore is accessed, the available backup files appear as expected and shown below:

When Win PE 10 MR recovery environment on USB stick is booted, it appears that the network drivers are initially loaded but there are no backup files on offer.  Fiddling with the "Browse for an image file", "Refresh" or "Folders to search" does not reveal the backup files.  
I have looked through the extensive documentation in KnowledgeBase V7.2, "The Macrium Rescue Environment"  but found no clues there.
Some help with my problem would be much appreciated.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)
The first step is to make sure that you do in fact have network connectivity within Rescue Media.  To do that, open Command Prompt by clicking its icon in the taskbar and try pinging something on the network, like your NAS or your router.  If that works, what happens when you try to browse to your NAS share?  The more details you can provide on your "fiddling" and exact what happens or doesn't happen, the more likely people here will be able to provide useful suggestions.  Judging by your screenshot, you should be able to click browse, enter "\\DISKSTATION\home" into the file name field, and press Enter.  At that point you might see an authentication prompt unless your NAS allows anonymous access.  Another thing you can try is clicking the "Folders to search" link to add that NAS path to that list, which is how you would be able to see all backups located in that folder as you do in the screenshot you posted from "real" Windows.

Edited 19 April 2020 4:16 AM by jphughan
DSperber
DSperber
Talented Member
Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)
I suspect that the building of the "Rescue" Recovery media (on bootable USB flash drive, as well as probably also on Boot Manager menu) failed to include all of the necessary driver files to get to the network and see the NAS device. This is no different than similar issues with failing to see external USB backup devices while in Rescue booted to either way on my own ASUS Z170 machine which has both Intel USB controller and Asmedia USB controller, with my external USB backup drive happened to be plugged into a USB port controlled by the Asmedia USB controller.

In the case of my Asmedia USB story, looking in Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus Controllers shows that there are TWO SEPARATE DRIVERS REQUIRED:
(a) Asmedia USB Root Hub:  ASMTHUB3.SYS, which is tied to ASMTHUB3.INF and ASMTHUB3.CAT
(b) Asmedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller:  ASMTXHCI.SYS, which is tied to ASMTXHCI.INF and ASMTHXCI.CAT

In fact, using Macrium Reflect "Rescue Media Builder" in Other Tools, either for WinPE 10 1709 or for WinRE 1903, because of what is apparently a bug (I have already reported this in a ticket, and they have collected all of my diagnostic information and forensiic evidence, and are working on the solution) the TWO DRIVERS required (for both USB3 and XHCI) were not BOTH installed into BOOT.WIM of the Rescue media. In fact, only XHCI was installed, thus making access to the Asmedia Controller impossible, and thus making my external USB backup drive plugged into an Asmedia-controlled USB port invisible.

For me the manual workaround solution (in the short term, until Macrium fixes their Rescue Media Builder problem and grabs BOTH of the needed USB drivers) was for me to manually pre-build driver folders with proper content files for BOTH XHCI and USB3 of the required Asmedia drivers, located in C:\boot\macrium\WinREDrivers\64Bit\USB\Asmedia 3.1, before pushng the BUILD button for Rescue Media Builder in Other Tools.

And now, BOTH of the needed USB drivers ARE TRULY PRESENT IN BOOT.WIM of the Rescue media (both Boot Manager and standalone USB), and my external USB backup drive plugged into an Asmedia controller USB port IS VISIBLE for selection of the recovery images.

I am guessing exactly the same issue is the explanation for your own inability to see the external NAS device, for selection of the image files contained on it.

You didn't tell us what steps you went through to build your Rescue USB flash media.  Did you check the "copy host USB files" or not? And did you manually select any other additional Ethernet device driver files to be "copy from host", or did you simply accept "compatilble driver functionality already present in WinPE" and do nothing further?

But in particular can you please provide a screenshot or two of the expansion of your C:\Boot\Macrium\WinREDrivers\64Bit\Ethernet folder to show any files and further sub-folders.  Underneath that folder there are probably additional sub-folders for all the network adapter devices on your machine, so if you could expand each of them as well as provide screenshots of the file and sub-folder contents as well. Etc. 

Note that the \WinREDrivers folder/file structure should also be duplcated into the additional matching C:\Boot\Macrium\WinREFiles\media\Drivers\Ethernet folder structure.  You should check that as well.

It is this driver folder/file driver which then makes its way into the C:\Drivers folder in BOOT.WIM of the bootable Rescue media, to be installed when you boot to Rescue (either from Boot Manager or standalone USB flash drive) in order to provide all of the additional drivers installed into WinPE at boot time.  Unless all of the proper drivers needed to support the ethernet devices are in this C:\Drivers folder in BOOT.WIM, you will not have full functionality to the network and will not be able to see your NAS device or select any of the image files stored on it.

And finally, can you provide a screenshot from Device Manager showing your "network adapters" expanded. You will probably see wireless AC, perhaps Bluetooth, and one or two ethernet adapters. If you right-click on the ethernat adapters and pursue Properties -> Driver tab -> Driver details button, you will see all of the related drivers files installed that allow full functionality while booted to your operational Win10. The same drivers need to be provided in \Drivers of BOOT.WIM in the Rescue media in order to provide the same level of full functionality while running in the Rescue environment.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)
^ That was quite a long post to write on the assumption that it’s a driver issue when that could have been answered by waiting for the simple ping test I suggested. Smile
walam
walam
New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)
jphughan and PSperber, Thanks for your responses to my problem.
I have endeavoured to check the leads in jphughan message first and will move on to the more extensive queries in PSperber's message from there.
1.  I was able to ping the NAS successfully.
2. I browsed for an image at "Select an image file" and got

There were no networked images.  I tried to enter something in the box at the top of this box but it was not possible.
3.  Next I searched for a Folder and got:

It was able to see the folders in the NAS but clicking "ok" did not lead to any request for username or password.
Re PSperber's query, when I prepared the WinPE10 booter  I did tick a box, the only option offered, but cannot remember what it contained.

walam
walam

DSperger,  I do not have the file C:\Boot\Macrium\WinREDrivers\64Bit\Ethernet but I do have C:\boot\macrium\WA10KFiles.  It has a very complex subfolder structure.

DSperber
DSperber
Talented Member
Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)
You're right. If you selected to go with WinPE 10 instead of WinRE as your "Choose Base WIM" then the relevant lower-level sub-folders would be C:\Boot\<acrium\WA10KDrivers\64Bit\Ethernet instead of the \WinREDrivers I mentioned previously.

And then they would have been duplicated into C:\Boot\Macrium\WA10KFiles\Media\Drivers\Ethernet.

But the message is the same. Whatever driver folders/files appear in either the \WA10K or \WinRE structure (depending on whether you went with WinPE 10 or WinRE), those are the additional drivers which will get placed into C:\Drivers within BOOT.WIM and which then get loaded by WinPE when you boot to the Rescue program (either via Boot Manager or standalone USB flash media) to do your restore.

However now that I see your latest screenshots I don't think this is a driver issue. Your latest screenshots now seem to show that the names of your NAS-based target folders for images are at least known. I'm not sure if this is from a catalog being examined, or by actually seeing the NAS device on your network, but my guess is that the device actually is accessible.  I apologize for semi-ignorance here, as I don't have a NAS device of my own and have zero actual experience using one or taking backups to one or doing restores from one.

From your very first posted screenshot it shows that your network-located backups are located on \\DISKSTATION\home and the image files on it are selectable, when you run Macrium Reflect -> Restore tab from the installed program under Win10. And it looks like you have sub-folders under that, at least two (and based on your latest screenshots apparently four) which contain your images.  Your latest screenshot also shows that all four of those folders are available for browsing, to locate the specific image files within each that you might want to now restore.

So I'm puzzled.  Have you not gone further, and actually selected one of those four sub-folders (Macback Auxdocs G, Macback System C, Macback Images E, and Macback C) and then pushed the OK button to have Rescue then browse deeper into that selected folder in order to then present you with a list of the image files contained within that folder that you can then select from?

I think you may be seeing kind of a first-time RESTORE presentation for RESCUE, that may appear different for now than the same RESTORE function presented by the installed Win10 version of the program... simply because you've not ever been down this standalone RESTORE path before now.  I think you may just have to select one of those sub-folders containing system images on \\DISKSTATION\home and push OK, and what you then will be shown will be exactly the set of image file names to select from that you're seeking. And this may also be remembered so that it can then be automatically presented as your new starting point the next time you run standalone RESCUE, or you can once again "browse for image to be restored" and pick from anyt of those four folders, etc.

Or am I missing something

Edited 19 April 2020 9:58 AM by DSperber
walam
walam
OK, DSperger,  I think that I have followed your suggestion as shown in the following snap:

Sorry, it is upside down for inexplicable reason but is clear enough.  I OK'd the folder for System C and no files were revealed.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
If you can ping, then drivers aren’t your issue, in which case tinkering with WinPE and WinRE versions is going to be a rabbit hole.

When you click the Browse button to open that folder window you showed, what happens if you click the Network Drive icon in the upper-left corner and try to access your NAS share that way?

Lastly, Rescue Media has a built-in screenshot capability if you just click the camera icon in the taskbar (or press PrtScrn) and choose where to save the screenshot file. No need to take actual photos.
Edited 19 April 2020 2:11 PM by jphughan
walam
walam
jphughan, on following up your instruction to select the network drive icon I got a lengthy message from Reflect advising that SMB1 is insecure and obsolete.  So I went into the Synology DSM settings and selected SMB3.  Following that, when I selected the network drive icon I got a request for username and password.  Then I immediately had access to my backup files on the NAS.
So thank you so much for tracking this problem down for me. 
By the way, I cannot see a camera icon on my toolbar in the WinPE 10 version of the Restore program.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search