Values of ExitCode returned by Backup

Author
plugger
Talented Member
Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
In VBSCRIPT files, for ExitCode = Backup (...),
ExitCode = 0 means no error
ExitCode = 1 means backup error
ExitCode = 2 means XML validation error

What is the ExitCode for Cancel, i.e. when the user clicks the Cancel button?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
It's 1.  Create a scheduled backup, run it manually, use ReflectMonitor to cancel the job, and check the "Last Result" column.

plugger
plugger
Talented Member
Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)Talented Member (100 reputation)
jphughan - 24 March 2020 2:03 AM
It's 1.  Create a scheduled backup, run it manually, use ReflectMonitor to cancel the job, and check the "Last Result" column.

Thanks very much!
I don't run scheduled backups, so I didn't know about ReflectMonitor.  By "ReflectMonitor" I gather you mean the display produced with the Scheduled Backups tab in the Backup group.
I'd like to distinguish Cancel from Error because I run this VBScript:
   ExitCode = Backup (...)
   objShell.Run "rundll32.exe PowrProf.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep"
It's surely not a big deal, but if Cancel, I wish to omit the Sleep.

Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
ReflectMonitor may be invoked with a <cntl-alt-M>
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
ReflectMonitor is a tool that allows you to monitor running jobs, even if they were begun as background scheduled tasks and/or by a different user account. You access it either by pressing (by default) Ctrl+Alt+M, or by right-clicking the Reflect system tray icon that appears when a job is running.

I don’t know if there’s a way to have your script distinguish between those outcomes. Macrium might have to add something there, although I see a risk that if they suddenly introduce a new exit code for cancellations, that might break some setups already implemented by existing customers that are designed to expect a cancellation to return an error code.
plugger
plugger
Talented Member
jphughan - 24 March 2020 1:16 PM
ReflectMonitor is a tool that allows you to monitor running jobs, even if they were begun as background scheduled tasks and/or by a different user account. You access it either by pressing (by default) Ctrl+Alt+M, or by right-clicking the Reflect system tray icon that appears when a job is running.I don’t know if there’s a way to have your script distinguish between those outcomes. Macrium might have to add something there, although I see a risk that if they suddenly introduce a new exit code for cancellations, that might break some setups already implemented by existing customers that are designed to expect a cancellation to return an error code.

RE: "...that might break some setups already implemented..."
Yes, indeed.  I had that problem with a program I wrote on a DEC system 45 years ago.  DEC changed the behavior of a system call.  It was infuriating.
It might be possible to provide a second completion code to enrich the info., if enough customers care.  (I don't, really.)

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search