add a comment to backup image after it is created ---

Author
Frank Esposito
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (316 reputation)Proficient Member (316 reputation)Proficient Member (316 reputation)Proficient Member (316 reputation)Proficient Member (316 reputation)Proficient Member (316 reputation)Proficient Member (316 reputation)Proficient Member (316 reputation)Proficient Member (316 reputation)Proficient Member (316 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello --- is it possible to add a  comment to a backup  image  after it was created? 

this would be useful   when browsing  image files  one can pin-point a file that might contain some major update --- so one would not have to
rely on a date/time that backup was taken?  Thanks
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
This was requested somewhere else on this forum and the answer was that it isn’t possible. I agree it could be a useful feature though. Maybe something for the Wish List section. Somehow this ended up in the Rescue Media section.

As a crude workaround for now, I guess just create a text file in the same folder as your backups and add notes there?
Edited 16 March 2020 12:52 AM by jphughan
Frank Esposito
Frank Esposito
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (316 reputation)Proficient Member (316 reputation)Proficient Member (316 reputation)Proficient Member (316 reputation)Proficient Member (316 reputation)Proficient Member (316 reputation)Proficient Member (316 reputation)Proficient Member (316 reputation)Proficient Member (316 reputation)Proficient Member (316 reputation)
jphughan - 16 March 2020 12:51 AM
This was requested somewhere else on this forum and the answer was that it isn’t possible. I agree it could be a useful feature though. Maybe something for the Wish List section. Somehow this ended up in the Rescue Media section.

As a crude workaround for now, I guess just create a text file in the same folder as your backups and add notes there?

Thank for the info --- not sure what the best place to put this question I picked this board since my question was somewhat related to  recovery/backup images 
dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
I think I requested this feature at one time, too.  An ancient imaging program called Drive Image used to have a utility for handling image files where it could do things like split up an existing image into new multiple parts as well as add or change comments to existing images.

Frank Esposito
Frank Esposito
Proficient Member
dbminter - 16 March 2020 3:38 PM
I think I requested this feature at one time, too.  An ancient imaging program called Drive Image used to have a utility for handling image files where it could do things like split up an existing image into new multiple parts as well as add or change comments to existing images.

umm ... I  remember DI --- I think it was merged with ghost at one point 
dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Symantec bought out PowerQuest and Drive Image's file format got merged into Ghost.  However, that was about it.  Pretty much everything else from Drive Image was abandoned in favor of Ghost.

The big drawback of PowerQuest's utility for changing image file comments was it couldn't edit existing images.  If you wanted to change the comment, you'd change the comment, but you'd have to save an entirely new copy of the image with the altered comment.

Drive Image was my first exposure to disk imaging back in the DOS days in 1995.  I tried it out and realized, "Hey, I can install Windows, all my apps, configure everything, and then just save an image.  Then, when Windows messes up, there's no need to reinstall everything.  Just restore down the image and update everything changed since then."

Pim
Pim
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (331 reputation)Proficient Member (331 reputation)Proficient Member (331 reputation)Proficient Member (331 reputation)Proficient Member (331 reputation)Proficient Member (331 reputation)Proficient Member (331 reputation)Proficient Member (331 reputation)Proficient Member (331 reputation)Proficient Member (331 reputation)
I have made this request not long ago here. I would suggest to upvote that thread and possibly add a new comment, so that Macrium knows this feature is in demand Smile

dbminter
dbminter
I actually was the last poster in that mentioned thread, +1'ing it.  Smile

Pim
Pim
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (331 reputation)Proficient Member (331 reputation)Proficient Member (331 reputation)Proficient Member (331 reputation)Proficient Member (331 reputation)Proficient Member (331 reputation)Proficient Member (331 reputation)Proficient Member (331 reputation)Proficient Member (331 reputation)Proficient Member (331 reputation)
dbminter - 17 March 2020 5:23 PM

Yep, thanks for that. But hopefully we can get more upvotes and thus move the request up Macrium's priority list Wink

Jazzy
Jazzy
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Pim - 17 March 2020 6:14 PM
dbminter - 17 March 2020 5:23 PM

Yep, thanks for that. But hopefully we can get more upvotes and thus move the request up Macrium's priority list Wink

Are upvotes the same as liking the post? Because no one on this topic clicked on it. I just did though. Wink
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search