New Dual Boot screen

Author
Coastie
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Good morning,

I'm having a new problem with Reflect. I did the 7.2.4557 update and it said that I should re-do my rescue media. So I did, put the USB stick and had it update. All seems fine. But, I'm getting a new boot screen on my computer. It randomly offers me the choice of Win10 or Reflect boot(wording isn't exact but it's obviously a Reflect item). If I do nothing, it boots into Win10, If I click on Win10, it boots into Win10. But the Windows starting sound is choppy, the computer takes several minutes to boot, and is so slow that the machine is unusable. If I reboot it, the dual boot screen probably won't re-appear and the machine will boot normally, and perform as it should. A day or so later, it happens again. 

Thanks for any help

David
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Sounds like you enable the boot menu recovery operation when you created Rescue Media.  If you don't want it, go to Rescue Media Builder, select "Windows Boot Menu" in the destination list, click "Remove boot menu" underneath, and then click OK (or whatever the Build button says instead for this option -- maybe Remove?).  I don't think that will do anything about your long boot times though, since the boot menu item is literally just an alternative boot option listed in Windows Boot Manager.

Coastie
Coastie
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Thanks, that did it. Is this boot screen necessary? It seems to be the Rescue Builder default now. If I have a problem will the computer still boot from the USB stick?

David
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
It’s only necessary if you want to be able to restore your OS disk without booting from “external” Rescue Media, and if you start the restore wizard within Windows to stage that kind of job, that menu option will be automatically created in order to reboot into Rescue to run the job you just staged. I personally prefer to use external Rescue Media for all OS disk restore jobs, but I know others who perform lots of restores (due to application testing and the like) who appreciate not having to use external media each time. However, while the boot menu option is a convenience and can even be a primary restore mechanism, it should never be a user’s SOLE mechanism because it relies on booting from files that exist on your C drive, and there are several restore scenarios where those files may not be available. External Rescue Media has no dependencies like that, so it’s fine to use as your sole recovery mechanism.

The boot menu option will not affect your ability to use external Rescue Media at all.
Edited 3 March 2020 2:01 PM by jphughan
Coastie
Coastie
Ok, thank you very much. My issue is closed. 

Take care.

David
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search