New Rescue Media Will Not Boot!

Author
MPSAN
Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
As I mentioned in a previous thread I have Windows 10 Pro 1909 and updated to Reflect 4711. All seemed OK, but when I create a NEW Rescue DVD it boots to a light blue screen. At any rate it was suggested that I rename c:boot and force a rebuild selecting winpe. OK, but do I need to force a new winpe WIM? If so, I do not see where to do this and will the new c:boot contain any additional drivers? I actually just want a rescue dvd for this system just in case and do not care about sound and network drivers, etc. I feel like I am on borrowed time here as this is my wife's system and I always feel like she is one step away from having her system not even boot.

Also, I have tried previous Rescue Media and none of them work! I have never had many issues with Reflect!
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)
The WIM is buried underneath C:\boot\macrium, in a subfolder that depends on the WinPE/RE version you're using.  Rescue Media Builder will automatically create a new WIM when it sees that there isn't one where it expects it to be.  You don't need to force anything.  As for drivers, for any drivers that Rescue Media Builder identifies as necessary based on lack of native support in WinPE/RE and that aren't already in the Drivers folder, Rescue Media Builder will automatically (re)copy them into the correct Drivers folder.  Think of it this way, MPSPAN.  If you didn't have to "force" anything or do anything else out of the ordinary to get your current C:\boot\macrium folder to where it is right now, then you won't have to do anything special to get Rescue Media Builder to create it again.  It'll be just as if you had just installed Reflect for the first time.  At that point you obviously didn't already have a C:\boot\macrium folder, and Rescue Media Builder just created all of that for you.  It will do that again.  And of course if you're just renaming your C:\boot folder rather than deleting it, worst case you can always rename it back.  I don't know if this will actually fix your issue, but this really isn't an operation you need to fret about.  There's nothing in the C:\boot\macrium folder that won't be recreated automatically if it's missing.

But now you're saying that your previous Rescue Media doesn't work either?  Is this Rescue Media that previously worked and now doesn't, or is it possible that those previous builds NEVER worked and you just didn't realize it until now because you never tested them before?  If it's the former (earlier Rescue Media that worked before and doesn't now), I'm wondering if something has changed on your PC at a hardware level, because just having 1909 installed on your PC won't suddenly prevent older Rescue Media from booting if it did before.  If you never tested older Rescue Media until now and therefore can't be sure it EVER worked, then that definitely expands the potential causes of your issue.

Edited 15 February 2020 3:40 AM by jphughan
MPSAN
MPSAN
Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)
jphughan - 15 February 2020 3:28 AM
The WIM is buried underneath C:\boot\macrium, in a subfolder that depends on the WinPE/RE version you're using.  Rescue Media Builder will automatically create a new WIM when it sees that there isn't one where it expects it to be.  You don't need to force anything.  As for drivers, for any drivers that Rescue Media Builder identifies as necessary based on lack of native support in WinPE/RE and that aren't already in the Drivers folder, Rescue Media Builder will automatically (re)copy them into the correct Drivers folder.  Think of it this way, MPSPAN.  If you didn't have to "force" anything or do anything else out of the ordinary to get your current C:\boot\macrium folder to where it is right now, then you won't have to do anything special to get Rescue Media Builder to create it again.  It'll be just as if you had just installed Reflect for the first time.  At that point you obviously didn't already have a C:\boot\macrium folder, and Rescue Media Builder just created all of that for you.  It will do that again.  And of course if you're just renaming your C:\boot folder rather than deleting it, worst case you can always rename it back.  I don't know if this will actually fix your issue, but this really isn't an operation you need to fret about.  There's nothing in the C:\boot\macrium folder that won't be recreated automatically if it's missing.

But now you're saying that your previous Rescue Media doesn't work either?  Is this Rescue Media that previously worked and now doesn't, or is it possible that those previous builds NEVER worked and you just didn't realize it until now because you never tested them before?  If it's the former (earlier Rescue Media that worked before and doesn't now), I'm wondering if something has changed on your PC at a hardware level, because just having 1909 installed on your PC won't suddenly prevent older Rescue Media from booting if it did before.  If you never tested older Rescue Media until now and therefore can't be sure it EVER worked, then that definitely expands the potential causes of your issue.

Well...let me take these and comment.
First I ALWAYS test my rescue media whenever I create a new one. I will, however, retest my previous media as I still have at least 2 that I built with v4601, You said that the WIM is buried in the Macrium subfolder and that IF I rename the C:boot it will rebuild the WIM. Does it go to MS again to get the WINPE so it will be new. If not can I force it? Also, I know that there were 4 drivers that were added  to the drivers folder but that was from over a year ago...perhaps even from Reflect 6 and will check to see them again. I am sure they are still in my c:boot. Also, I have NOT added or changed any hardware. I may have to defer this testing a day as we need to go out this afternoon. 
Thank you for your help. I can not imagine what could be wrong. OH, I saw a post in the thread from someone asking for an older MR7 exe and a few posts down it showed how to force drivers, but it was not clear how to pick the correct one in filerepository if I don't even know what's broken!
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)
Well if your previous Rescue Media builds that you previously confirmed worked -- on this specific PC? -- are no longer working, then it sounds like something else has changed on your PC somehow whether somebody did it deliberately on that system or something else caused the change.

For the rest, I can't say I recall the last time I spent this much time writing multiple posts across two different forums trying to convince one person to do something so simple and benign.  So I'm going to try one last time, but then I'm just going to leave it to you to try it or not.

No, blowing away the Rescue Media cache does not blow way the WinPE files that Reflect uses to generate Rescue Media.  If that would have happened, I would have told you -- as you've seen, I'm not shy about writing long posts.  Anyhow, you're only blowing away the cache of built Rescue Media files, including the WIM that contains all of the Rescue Media customizations, as well as any drivers in the Drivers folder.  The "base" WinPE file cache, including its entirely distinct WIM file, is stored elsewhere.  And with WinRE, Reflect doesn't cache files anyway because it draws them from the Windows Recovery file set that already exists on your PC, not anything it downloaded.  But if you're curious, even if you DID go out of your way to also blow away the WinPE cache files (buried under Reflect's folder under C:\ProgramData), then the next time you tried to build Rescue Media on a WinPE version that Reflect no longer had cached files for, it would prompt you to download them.  You would not have to "force" anything.  Again MPSPAN: if you didn't have to force anything to build Rescue Media before this point, then doing this won't require you to force anything to build it afterward either.  Similarly, any drivers that Rescue Media Builder automatically copied to the Drivers folder would automatically be copied again. If you happened to copy any other drivers into that folder manually, then yes you'd have to do that again, just like you did originally.  Or you could just grab those manually copied drivers out of the C:\boot folder that you'll be renaming.  Picking drivers out of a FileRepository folder only applies for any drivers you want to force Reflect to incorporate into Rescue Media.  If you don't even know of a driver you want to force Rescue Media Builder to copy, then that discussion is moot.

I really don't understand why you seem so concerned that you'll have to "force" a bunch of things to happen just to get Rescue Media working after you do this -- particularly when you'll be keeping the current C:\boot folder by simply renaming it anyway!  If something doesn't go well, then just delete the new C:\boot folder that Rescue Media Builder will create and rename your previously renamed folder back to "Boot", and you're back to where you are now!  But the reality is that if Rescue Media Builder sees that some needed content is missing, it will either recreate it or prompt you to redownload it.  Everything in the C:\boot folder falls into the former category -- as I already explicitly told you.  If you take my word for it, then just rename the folder already, knowing you can rename it back.  If you DON’T take my word for it and don't believe that renaming a folder back will be enough to recover, then I doubt reading any more posts of mine will change anything, in which case there's no point in my continuing with you.

And from a purely pragmatic standpoint, it's odd to me that you're putting this level of caution and worry around a process to reset your Rescue Media file set given that a) you're not actually deleting anything here, and b) your current Rescue Media builds don't work in the first place!!  So what exactly are you so worried about losing here?  Absolute worst case, suppose you can't build Rescue Media after this rename operation and somehow you can't rename your folder back, although I don't see how either of those would actually happen.  Even then, given that you can't build working Rescue Media right now, the inability to build Rescue Media at all doesn't seem any worse from a practical standpoint.  And given that there will also still be people on forums to help with any problems you actually DO encounter, once again I don't see why you're fretting about this so much beforehand and asking about so many things you THINK you might encounter.

Edited 15 February 2020 9:27 PM by jphughan
MPSAN
MPSAN
jphughan - 15 February 2020 8:53 PM
Well if your previous Rescue Media builds that you previously confirmed worked -- on this specific PC? -- are no longer working, then it sounds like something else has changed on your PC somehow whether somebody did it deliberately on that system or something else caused the change.

For the rest, I can't say I recall the last time I spent this much time writing multiple posts across two different forums trying to convince one person to do something so simple and benign.  So I'm going to try one last time, but then I'm just going to leave it to you to try it or not.

No, blowing away the Rescue Media cache does not blow way the WinPE files that Reflect uses to generate Rescue Media.  If that would have happened, I would have told you -- as you've seen, I'm not shy about writing long posts.  Anyhow, you're only blowing away the cache of built Rescue Media files, including the WIM that contains all of the Rescue Media customizations, as well as any drivers in the Drivers folder.  The "base" WinPE file cache, including its entirely distinct WIM file, is stored elsewhere.  And with WinRE, Reflect doesn't cache files anyway because it draws them from the Windows Recovery file set that already exists on your PC, not anything it downloaded.  But if you're curious, even if you DID go out of your way to also blow away the WinPE cache files (buried under Reflect's folder under C:\ProgramData), then the next time you tried to build Rescue Media on a WinPE version that Reflect no longer had cached files for, it would prompt you to download them.  You would not have to "force" anything.  Again MPSPAN: if you didn't have to force anything to build Rescue Media before this point, then doing this won't require you to force anything to build it afterward either.  Similarly, any drivers that Rescue Media Builder automatically copied to the Drivers folder would automatically be copied again. If you happened to copy any other drivers into that folder manually, then yes you'd have to do that again, just like you did originally.  Or you could just grab those manually copied drivers out of the C:\boot folder that you'll be renaming.  Picking drivers out of a FileRepository folder only applies for any drivers you want to force Reflect to incorporate into Rescue Media.  If you don't even know of a driver you want to force Rescue Media Builder to copy, then that discussion is moot.

I really don't understand why you seem so concerned that you'll have to "force" a bunch of things to happen just to get Rescue Media working after you do this -- particularly when you'll be keeping the current C:\boot folder by simply renaming it anyway!  If something doesn't go well, then just delete the new C:\boot folder that Rescue Media Builder will create and rename your previously renamed folder back to "Boot", and you're back to where you are now!  But the reality is that if Rescue Media Builder sees that some needed content is missing, it will either recreate it or prompt you to redownload it.  Everything in the C:\boot folder falls into the former category -- as I already explicitly told you.  If you take my word for it, then just rename the folder already, knowing you can rename it back.  If you DON’T take my word for it and don't believe that renaming a folder back will be enough to recover, then I doubt reading any more posts of mine will change anything, in which case there's no point in my continuing with you.

And from a purely pragmatic standpoint, it's odd to me that you're putting this level of caution and worry around a process to reset your Rescue Media file set given that a) you're not actually deleting anything here, and b) your current Rescue Media builds don't work in the first place!!  So what exactly are you so worried about losing here?  Absolute worst case, suppose you can't build Rescue Media after this rename operation and somehow you can't rename your folder back, although I don't see how either of those would actually happen.  Even then, given that you can't build working Rescue Media right now, the inability to build Rescue Media at all doesn't seem any worse from a practical standpoint.  And given that there will also still be people on forums to help with any problems you actually DO encounter, once again I don't see why you're fretting about this so much beforehand and asking about so many things you THINK you might encounter.

OK...sorry for all the confusion...I will try it all again and let you know.
MPSAN
MPSAN
Well, my drivers had not changed since 12/2016. I recreated the Rescue Media again with NO CHANGES and all is OK!!! So, I guess I may as well go to 4732!!!

I can not thank you enough and the driver that was added was a network driver. However I left the boot directory alone. Why it did not work several times before i will never know. Now it will be time to update to 4732. As My sig says if it aint broke fix it til it is!
MPSAN
MPSAN
OK, 4732 works as well. Thank You all so much for your help and patience! Not sure how/why it failed every time I tried this and today it WORKS every time I created the Rescue!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search