Rescue Media: Would like to see WinPE 1903 downloaded if needed instead of 1709

Author
DSperber
Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I would like to request that WinPE 1903 be the new automatically downloaded version, rather than 1709 as is still the case.

Even with the new functionality added with 4711 dealing with discovering and using existing installed versions of ADK, I don't want to have to download and install the entire very large ADK myself, including the WinPE plugin, as I'm just a "civilian" and have no real need for it in my normal life. It is very GB large.

I'd rather just have the approprilate "trim" 970MB or so WinPE automatically installed by Macrium Reflect when I request WinPE as my WIM.  I simply want to be using the latest (and final version according to MS) version 1903 as long as it's available, instead of the old 1709 as is still currently the case..

Please.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
My first question here is whether 1903 has any improvements over 1709 that are relevant to Rescue Media use cases.  If so, I'm not aware of them, but I'd be curious to hear from others.  I know Reflect moved from 1607 to 1709 because 1709 is the release that added support for multiple partitions on removable storage class devices, like most flash drives. That feature is useful in some Rescue Media scenarios.  If there HAVE been similar improvements since 1709, then as long as Macrium rigorously tests WinPE 10 1903 before making that the WinPE 10 build that Reflect uses, I can see that making sense. 1709 is more than 2 years old now, after all.

If on the other hand there HAVEN'T been any meaningful improvements since then, then it could be argued that rigorously testing 1903 would be a waste of Macrium's engineering resources, and even WITH testing, moving to a newer release would still be an all-risk, no-reward proposition.  Even updates that ARE tested prior to release can still have problems, so if Macrium moved to 1903 and that created problems, the question among users will be, "Why did Macrium feel the need to change this in the first place?  What benefit were they trying to achieve that was worth this?"  If the answer is, "1903 didn't bring anything to the table that was relevant.  We just changed to 1903 because it's newer than 1709," then I suspect the affected users would criticize Macrium for trying to fix something that wasn't broken, and with no particular benefit expected. And that criticism would be entirely legitimate, in my opinion.

Edited 13 February 2020 7:29 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search