Backing Up HyperV images with Home Edition

Author
karibi
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a Windows 10 PC with the current Home edition of Reflect installed.

I also use my Windows 10 PC with Hyper-V. My understanding is that at this point it acts as a Type 1 (bare Metal) Hypervisor with Windows 10 installed on top. Under such conditions I will have a number of stopped VMs.

If I image the relevant drive have I adequately backed up the VMs and drive such that they can be restored? My concern is that as this is a type 1 Hyper-visor and Reflect is installed on the OS above this, will it fully image the disc.

Thanks

Tags
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)
Hyper-V is a Type 1 hypervisor, but the "main" OS gets special access down to the hardware, which is why you can install drivers for your hardware within your Windows 10 environment rather than having to operate in some alternate Hyper-V environment to do that.  This also makes it possible to selectively boot your host Windows 10 installation with the hypervisor disabled if desired, using for example a secondary option in your Windows Boot Manager environment that includes a parameter to disable the hypervisor.  So yes you can image your disk as a backup.  I actually just wrote a post about backing up a Hyper-V host with Reflect here that you might find useful.  Some of that reply was specific to the type of guest VMs that user wanted to run, but most of it was general information about this scenario.  For example, it's possible to use Reflect to back up a Hyper-V host and get valid backups of the guest VMs even if they're running at the time, because the Hyper-V host can coordinate with the guests to achieve that.  I didn't write up the technical details of how that works in the reply I just linked, but I can do that here if you'd like.

Edited 13 February 2020 3:35 PM by jphughan
karibi
karibi
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Thank you for your explanation, I feel much more confident now to continue using the Reflect product which I think is superb. Significantly better than all the competitors I have tried.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search