SOLVED: Failed to Create Volume Snapshot - 0x8004230f

Author
BigMac1
New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
May I please know why my backup failed.

The VSS log from a failed backup is attached. In addition, I have provided substantial additional information below. I am running an up-to-date version of Macrium Reflect Home 7 on an up-to-date installation of Windows 10 v.1909. Macrium Reflect was working perfectly for years, until February 9, 2020 - that's when backups started to fail.

Thanks in advance.

Please note the following information from the VSS log:

RE: VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR
(HRESULT = 0x8004230f)
There is only one VSS provider in  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\Providers\
and that VSS provider is:  {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
as you can see here from the output of vssadmin list providers:

RE: VSS_E_BAD_STATE
(HRESULT = 0x80042301)
The backup destination drive (a Toshiba external USB hard drive) does not have a non-standard sector size, as you can see below from the output of Windows 10's System Information:

and Macrium Reflect has had no trouble creating images on that very same destination drive until February 9, 2020.

Running 'Fix VSS Problems...' from within Reflect did not help.

Macrium has an extensive knowledgebase of articles that address VSS errors, including the error I am apparently experiencing:
Event 12293: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Cannot ask provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5} if volume is supported. HRESULT = 0x8000ffff, Catastrophic failure.

I have performed extensive troubleshooting, based on Macrium's knowledgebase and my own research. I can provide a complete list of the troubleshooting procedures I have performed, if requested.

Briefly:
* All VSS-related services are configured correctly.
* The Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 is the only VSS provider.
* Known VSS access control entries are configured correctly.
* All VSS writers are working correctly (= no errors.)
* Source and destination have plenty of free space.
* All volumes have correct NTFS access control configuration.

As I mentioned, backups started to fail on February 9, 2020, and  both my image backup job and my file backup job are affected. The file backup job completes successfully despite the errors, however the image backup job fails. Prior to February 9, 2020 there were no problems at all.

I AM able to create an image backup from the Recovery Environment.

I have relied on Macrium Reflect for years and hope to continue doing so in the future. I'm hoping to find a successful resolution to this problem.

Attachments
VSS Log.txt (7 views, 2.00 KB)
Edited 11 February 2020 5:23 AM by BigMac1
BigMac1
BigMac1
New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)
I have now solved my problem ... thanks to Macrium Reflect.

This whole mess started on February 9, 2020. The solution, since I backup every day:

Restore the backup made on February 8.

Ta da! BigGrin
JasonUK
JasonUK
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Out of interest BigMac do you have AOMEI Backupper installed, did you update it v5.6 or try and uninstall it?  Reason for query is that I've had pretty much the exact error you report today after uninstalling AOMEI v5.6?
DSperber
DSperber
Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)
BigMac1 - 11 February 2020 5:23 AM
I have now solved my problem ... thanks to Macrium Reflect.

This whole mess started on February 9, 2020. The solution, since I backup every day:

Restore the backup made on February 8.

I don't understand what "solved" your problem.
Are you saying that after you restored the system using your Feb 8 backup, that now the VSS error no longer occurs when you run new backups?
Are you saying that some type of corruption seemingly occurred between Feb 8 and Feb 9 which was causing VSS errors whenever you tried to run a backup, and when you restored using the Feb 8 backup (which was taken before the so-called corruption must have occurred) that now the once again corruption-free system no longer produces the VSS errors?

I ask because I myself have a current thread regarding getting VSS errors when I try to image a particular partition on my system. It is still unsolved. I was hoping your "solved" explanation or solution might be applicable to my story.
But it doesn't seem you actually did anything concrete to truly "solve" your problem. You simply finessed the whole mystery by going back to an image taken prior to whatever crept into your system that was responsible for the VSS error. So we really don't know what caused the VSS error.

Ergo: my own VSS error story remains unresolved. I simply don't take any images of that partition.

dbminter
dbminter
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
My take on this was when he made the February 8th backup, VSS was working.  Sometime between that backup and afterwards, VSS stopped working.  Windows components/functions/feature suddenly stopping working is nothing new.  They happen all the time and have been doing so for 20 years, at least.  That's one reason why I have a daily backup.  So I can fall back if one day I log in and something doesn't work anymore.  You restore back to the day before and see if that fixes it.

Of course, the poster could have done something, installed a new piece of software, made a software change, etc. that could have broken VSS.  But, that's why we have backups to begin with.  Smile

Many times I've discovered some Windows feature stopped working when it had been working even just earlier in that day.  So, first thing I do is restore back to a known backup where it was working and see if that fixes it.

BigMac1
BigMac1
To respond to everyone:

@JasonUK

I do not now have, nor have I ever had AOMEI Backupper installed, however I believe that my (and your) problem may have something to with the Virtual Shadow Copy Service, i.e., VSS. Please see more below.

@DSperber

Greetings, my friend. By 'problem solved' I meant that I am once again able to successfully make backup images.

@dbminter

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Here's more detail on my situation, which may ring a bell for you and others:

Since 'life was but a dream' until February 9, you should know what of note happened on that day: I uninstalled Kaspersky Internet Security (with Kaspersky's own removal utility) in order to try Bitdefender Internet Security.  After that, the next scheduled Macrium Reflect Home v.7 image failed. Succeeding images also failed.

I spent a lot of hours trying to understand the errors reported by Reflect, and in so doing learned more than I ever wanted to know about how volume shadow copies work.

I suspect that something left behind by Kaspersky's uninstaller OR something in Bitdefender was affecting Macrium Reflect, but I do not know this for a fact. Even after I uninstalled Bitdefender (with Bitdefender's own removal utility) my backup images continued to fail.

It could be a coincidence, but when I restored an image made on February 8 - the day before I removed Kaspersky, installed Bitdefender and later removed Bitdefender - Macrium Reflect went back to successfully making backup images.

There's a lot that can go wrong with volume shadow copies, unfortunately. In my research I came across a great free tool (from Acronis) to help diagnose these problems. It is the Acronis VSS Doctor and you can find it here: https://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/vss-diagnostic-free-tool/
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search