Rescue CD does not show Network & I backup up to network NAS

Author
CParrot
New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I did a backup to my networked NAS storage device from Win 10 Pro.  I then made a rescue CD using ISO, and burning that to CD.

When I reboot with CD, the Macrium menu only shows C & D drives that are in my PC, but no choice to even go to my network to select the backup image file.

CParrot
CParrot
New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)New Member (35 reputation)
Also, I am running Reflect Ver 7.2.4601 (UEFI).  I was not able to have the Rescue creation utility write to my CD drive (it would not recognize it), so I made an ISO, and used a burning program to burn to a CD.  Not sure if you need any other details, and thanks in advance for your help!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)
Not sure why Rescue Media Builder wouldn't burn directly to disc for you, but exporting an ISO and burning that to disc achieves the same end result.  As for the network issue:

1. Are you using an Ethernet or WiFi to connect to your network?  And is it a built-in network adapter or a USB network adapter?
2. If you click Advanced in Rescue Media Builder and go to Devices & Drivers, is your network adapter listed?  If so, what does the Status column show for that device?  If not, then that would be expected if it's a USB network adapter, in which case you'd have to copy the appropriate driver to your Rescue Media build manually, but I can help with that if that's the issue.
3. In the Rescue Media environment, if you click the Restore menu item at the top (NOT the Restore tab in the upper-left corner!) and click View Unsupported Devices, do you see any network controllers listed?

Edited 9 February 2020 2:56 AM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)
In addition to the above, I actually forgot to ask the most basic question: Are you sure you know how to access a network share from the Rescue environment?  That's explained in this KB article.  If your network adapter's drivers are missing, then that won't work, but if nothing seems amiss in the questions I asked above, then try the steps outlined in that article.  Note that the "browse" options that involve clicking Network may not work anymore depending on various factors, since that mechanism relies on legacy network protocols that aren't always supported or enabled.  But entering the direct path to the share hosted on your NAS should work if all of the necessary network drivers are present in your Rescue Media build.  And if they're not, as I said above that's fixable.

Edited 9 February 2020 2:59 AM by jphughan
CParrot
CParrot
jphughan - 9 February 2020 2:55 AM
Not sure why Rescue Media Builder wouldn't burn directly to disc for you, but exporting an ISO and burning that to disc achieves the same end result.  As for the network issue:

1. Are you using an Ethernet or WiFi to connect to your network?  And is it a built-in network adapter or a USB network adapter?
2. If you click Advanced in Rescue Media Builder and go to Devices & Drivers, is your network adapter listed?  If so, what does the Status column show for that device?  If not, then that would be expected if it's a USB network adapter, in which case you'd have to copy the appropriate driver to your Rescue Media build manually, but I can help with that if that's the issue.
3. In the Rescue Media environment, if you click the Restore menu item at the top (NOT the Restore tab in the upper-left corner!) and click View Unsupported Devices, do you see any network controllers listed?

Thank you!

I am using the built in motherboard LAN adapter running a direct cable to a switch, and then in turn to the networked NAS.  I took this shot of the menu you mentioned in the rescue advanced menu, and I believe the Gigabit Network Connection last item is what you were looking for.

This is what I see when I go into Rescue boot media.  No network choices.

CParrot
CParrot

I cannot find where this is to look for View Unsupported Devices.  I looked in the Restore on top Nav bar, and below that in all the places I could try to find it.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
First, as a general note it's a lot easier to view screenshots than photos, and they're also easier and faster to capture once you know how.  Within Windows, the Snipping Tool is a very handy utility for capturing screenshots.  And within Rescue, there's a little camera icon in the taskbar area that when clicked will pop open a file save dialog.  If you save that to a flash drive, you'll have a screenshot of your Rescue environment.

The fact that you're not seeing any network drives in PE Explorer (the application in your second screenshot) doesn't mean that your network environment isn't available.  It sounds like you're just expecting to see a mapped drive like you have in Windows.  That's not how it works.  Rescue is an entirely separate OS environment from regular Windows, so even if you have a mapped drive for your NAS configured to automatically reconnect at every Windows logon, that doesn't apply to Rescue.  But if you click that Map Network Drive icon in the upper-left corner of the PE Explorer application, you should be able to map that drive.  Or you can follow the instructions in the KB article I linked.

Edited 9 February 2020 3:32 AM by jphughan
CParrot
CParrot
Chuck Parrot - 9 February 2020 3:17 AM

I cannot find where this is to look for View Unsupported Devices.  I looked in the Restore on top Nav bar, and below that in all the places I could try to find it.

Also from the Rescue CD menu, I did try manually entering my Network NAS, which curiously displays in the exact location in this menu:

But then if I try to select that location, I get this menu but the OK button on bottom is grayed out, and not clickable.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
It's probably because you haven't provided authentication information to that share.  Try mapping a drive as I suggested above, or following the steps in that KB article I linked.  Also, here's a screenshot showing where to find "View Unsupported Devices" right under the Restore menu I described, which also makes for a handy example of why a screenshot is so much nicer than a photo. Smile

CParrot
CParrot
jphughan - 9 February 2020 3:36 AM
It's probably because you haven't provided authentication information to that share.  Try mapping a drive as I suggested above, or following the steps in that KB article I linked.  Also, here's a screenshot showing where to find "View Unsupported Devices" right under the Restore menu I described, which also makes for a handy example of why a screenshot is so much nicer than a photo. Smile

Oh, sorry I was looking at menus within Win10 application.  Now I see it in the Rescue PE, and it reports "All devices have drivers loaded"

I also now see the way of assigning a drive letter "Z" to my mapped network NAS drive in the exact folder, and entering my NAS name and password login.  I can get to the backup to restore now.  Thanks!

My confusion was that just migrating to Win10, I didn't have to do this in my Win7 Pro macrium setup.  That rescue CD showed my network allowing me to navigate to the correct folder and image file.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search