Restore Works Like a Charm!

Author
capair45
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I’ve been using Reflect for years, dutifully performing backups and hoping I never had to fully test the restore function. Today, I had to use it and it performed flawlessly.

I began installing an anti-virus security suite this morning and during the process, noticed my internet connection had failed followed by the installation freezing. Task Manager was no help and I had to force a shutdown of my Dell Windows 10 machine. On startup, I received a message that an automatic repair was in process. That failed and I was left with the usual Windows options for restoring, none of which were great choices.

Booted up with my rescue media and restored from a FULL image done last night. The restore took 4 minutes and I was back to normal.

What a life saver! Thank you to the Macrium staff for a great product!

Dave...

Windows 10 Home (22H2)  Build 19045.4046 (Desktop)
Windows 11 Home (23H2)  Build 22631.3155 (Laptop)
Macrium Reflect 8.1.7847

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Do yourself a further favor and just give up installing third-party anti-virus!
capair45
capair45
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
jphughan - 7 February 2020 11:01 PM
Do yourself a further favor and just give up installing third-party anti-virus!

I know you are a proponent of Windows Defender and I am leaning in that direction.  In fact, that's what I've been using on both my laptop & desktop for a few months.  I was having conflicts with Kaspersky & Intuit products (specifically Turbo Tax) and uninstalled Kaspersky to allow Turbo Tax to do it's thing.  Taxes filed, uninstalled Turbo Tax, tried reinstalling Kaspersky and you know the rest.  I've used that security suite for several years without issue but today's snafu was a game changer.  For now, I'm using WD.  We'll see how it goes.

Macrium saved my bacon and it was money well spent!

Dave...

Macrium Reflect 8.1.7847

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
I just became a convert of using only Windows Defender.  Got this new PC last month.  It's supposed to be the same make, with some minor hardware differences, as my old one.  But, my old one supported running AdAware AntiVirus just fine.  On this new PC, when installed, it caused Reflect backups to not execute!  Uninstalled, they worked.  Installed, they didn't.  So, I finally got fed up with all the problems associated with AV software that stopped working when it was working fine and just the general problems of 3rd part anti-virus and I stuck with Windows Defender.

Edited 8 February 2020 2:16 AM by dbminter
Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
I, too,  use only Windows Defender and remain vigilant when downloading other programs to make sure that they are not doing me a favor by also installing some other AV program.  {KnockOnWood} I've never had an infection that wasn't caught by WD.

One of my complaints is that an awful lot of good products over the years have constantly added "features" so that they no longer resemble the originals.  I'm forced to constantly try to determine what they're doing for me versus what they're doing to me.   Symantec, Kaspersky, Norton, CCleaner.. .all have done it, especially those that were gobbled up by a larger software house.

<soapbox ON>
The most egregious offender is not an AV but WinZip --- every PAID update has more and more glitz, more problems, and osts more bucks.  Meanwhile, the open-source software utility 7zip outperforms WinZip and is free.
<soapbox OFF>

The best AntiVirus program is in your head.   Be suspicious of anything you download or email you respond to.  Use a browser, like Firefox, that is vigilant.  Make sure the firewall on your router keeps intruders off your LAN.  Don't click on any link in an email -- hover over the link and let your browser shows you where it really goes, and if it doesn't look kosher, re-type it into your browser's address bar.

L.W. (Dan) Danz, Overland Park KS
Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+
Reflect v8.1.7784+ on 2 systems Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3803+

capair45
capair45
Macrium Hero
L. W. "Dan" Danz - 8 February 2020 3:45 PM
I, too,  use only Windows Defender and remain vigilant when downloading other programs to make sure that they are not doing me a favor by also installing some other AV program.  {KnockOnWood} I've never had an infection that wasn't caught by WD.

One of my complaints is that an awful lot of good products over the years have constantly added "features" so that they no longer resemble the originals.  I'm forced to constantly try to determine what they're doing for me versus what they're doing to me.   Symantec, Kaspersky, Norton, CCleaner.. .all have done it, especially those that were gobbled up by a larger software house.

<soapbox ON>
The most egregious offender is not an AV but WinZip --- every PAID update has more and more glitz, more problems, and osts more bucks.  Meanwhile, the open-source software utility 7zip outperforms WinZip and is free.
<soapbox OFF>

The best AntiVirus program is in your head.   Be suspicious of anything you download or email you respond to.  Use a browser, like Firefox, that is vigilant.  Make sure the firewall on your router keeps intruders off your LAN.  Don't click on any link in an email -- hover over the link and let your browser shows you where it really goes, and if it doesn't look kosher, re-type it into your browser's address bar.

Good advice!

Macrium Reflect 8.1.7847

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search