V 7.2.47 Incromentals complete and run again

Author
Morris
Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Since the upgrade to V 7.2.47 Incromentals complete yet Site Manager runs them again.  Backup log looks normal.  Sitemanager log shows backup completed.  I'm seeing this on all 3 clients that run daily.  The incremental for the site manager computer runs 2 times.

Morris
Morris
Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)
Under activity I see the backup run and then get the message that the backup completed.  After this, Under forecast I see the client is active and the status as "Clean up on Agent"  I'm trying to figure out how to stop this loop
Morris
Morris
Looks like the backup is being considered failed even though it completed successfully.  I deduct this because the backup for the Site Manager has 2 retries and the others 10.  
Morris
Morris
I've implemented a temporary fix:   I turned off retry on error and instead am running my incremental 2 times a day, one at 9am and one at 5pm.

The reason for retry on error is that on one large workstation I use Macrium Reflect Workstation to backup the large hard disks using a backup skeem that is too complex to implement under Stie Manager as I have to do file backups to backup limited directories in a number of backups or the disk requirement is too large to keep 2 copies and create a third while the backup is running.
markollides
markollides
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
I am having the same exact issue after upgrading to the latest version of Site Manager.
Backups are set up to retry on failure.
When backup jobs complete, I see the agent go into this cleanup status for a few minutes (not sure if there is necessarily anything wrong with this part).
The backup is then retried.

Looking in the "Scheduled Activity" Menu under the "Backup Status" section, all computers show as "Failed" in the "Last Backup" column.
However, looking over the most recent logs for any of these computers shows that the backups were, in fact, successful...
Edited 2 February 2020 5:54 AM by markollides
Morris
Morris
markollides - 2 February 2020 5:53 AM
I am having the same exact issue after upgrading to the latest version of Site Manager.
Backups are set up to retry on failure.
When backup jobs complete, I see the agent go into this cleanup status for a few minutes (not sure if there is necessarily anything wrong with this part).
The backup is then retried.

Looking in the "Scheduled Activity" Menu under the "Backup Status" section, all computers show as "Failed" in the "Last Backup" column.
However, looking over the most recent logs for any of these computers shows that the backups were, in fact, successful...

If you don't need the error recovery, turn it off.  I'm running incrementals a few times a day till they resolve this. as I do need the error recovery.  You may need a different scheme to fit your needs.
Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi All, 

Thanks for the report - I've done some investigation and identified an issue where a backups can report as failed internally as Site Manager doesn't receive a process completion message correctly due to a bug in the Agent service. This does not affect the backup process or the integrity of backed up data, but does cause the Site Manager server to requeue the backup - the intended sequence of events is:

-> Site Manager launches a "launch backup" message to start the backup
<- Agent starts the backup process and sends a backup start message
<- Agent sends a backup complete message
< Agent sends a "launch backup" complete message
-> Site Manager removes the task from the internal scheduler and moves on

The bug causes the last Agent message to not send. In this case, Site Manager knows the backup was successful, but continues to wait for the backup process to complete (this is the Cleanup on Agent state). After a timeout waiting for the completion message, Site Manager moves on, but this triggers to 'retry on failure' logic of the queue.

We'll be deploying a new version to fix this today or shortly after, in the mean time, please temporarily turn off the retry on failure logic of the schedule.

Kind Regards,

Alex

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

Morris
Morris
Thank you for the conformation Alex
Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Just to note that patch version 7.2.4708 has been released - this should resolve this issue.

Kind Regards,

Alex

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)
Hi @Alex.  I cannot find any release notes on Build 4708... might that be a mis-type in your build number?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search