Reparse Points Clarification Needed

Author
BGregory
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (232 reputation)Proficient Member (232 reputation)Proficient Member (232 reputation)Proficient Member (232 reputation)Proficient Member (232 reputation)Proficient Member (232 reputation)Proficient Member (232 reputation)Proficient Member (232 reputation)Proficient Member (232 reputation)Proficient Member (232 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I have a file and folder backup of the "C:\Program Files (x86)" folder. I also have a symbolic link created in my C:\Program Files (x86) folder called "Misc" that points to the folder "D:\Users\AllUsers\AppData\Program Files Misc".  I have the "Reparse Points" options set as follows:

I'm assuming, based on what the description says that only the definition of the symbolic link "Misc" will be included in the backup, NOT the files it actually points too ("D:\Users\AllUsers\AppData\Program Files Misc").  But when I mount the .mrbak file I see all the files that are in the "D:\Users\AllUsers\AppData\Program Files Misc" folder and I can restore them.
Am I missing something?

Bob Gregory

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Are you mounting the backup on the same PC from which you performed it?  If so, I'm wondering if the backup DOES only contain a symlink, but when you actually mount the backup and browse there, Windows is dutifully following that symlink right over to your D drive folder, and therefore what you're seeing is actually your live D drive and NOT files contained within the backup itself.  To test this, create a new file on your D drive folder, mount a backup created before that file existed, and browse to that symlink in your mounted backup.  If you see the new file, you're looking at your live D drive.

Edited 28 January 2020 8:11 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
This reminds me of a story where I was helping an older user perform a clean Windows install onto his laptop.  He said he'd already copied all of his data folders to a flash drive so he was ready to go.  But he also said, "I was amazed how quickly everything transferred, but when I opened the various folders and files on the flash drive, everything was there and worked fine."  Turns out he'd only copied SHORTCUTS to his data folders onto his flash drive.

BGregory
BGregory
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (232 reputation)Proficient Member (232 reputation)Proficient Member (232 reputation)Proficient Member (232 reputation)Proficient Member (232 reputation)Proficient Member (232 reputation)Proficient Member (232 reputation)Proficient Member (232 reputation)Proficient Member (232 reputation)Proficient Member (232 reputation)
jphughan - 28 January 2020 8:14 PM
This reminds me of a story where I was helping an older user perform a clean Windows install onto his laptop.  He said he'd already copied all of his data folders to a flash drive so he was ready to go.  But he also said, "I was amazed how quickly everything transferred, but when I opened the various folders and files on the flash drive, everything was there and worked fine."  Turns out he'd only copied SHORTCUTS to his data folders onto his flash drive.

Yes I am mounting it on the same PC.  I'll do a further check as you mentioned and let you know.
Bob

BGregory
BGregory
Proficient Member
I've been doing a lot of various testing and backups unrelated to the symbolic link issue and I mounted the wrong backup, one from before I created the symbolic link and of course the filles would have been included.  I mounted the correct backup and the files are NOT included as should have been.  Maybe I need a break.  Sorry for the needless post.

Bob Gregory

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search