Size of Full Backup Has Greatly Increased

Author
Bewildered
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
For quite some time, my full backups have been around 288,000,000 Kb, but three days after the last such, and after removing quite a lot of old and unneeded entries on the hard disc, I ran a full backup yesterday. This was with a new schedule, created for reasons not important as far as I know, the full backup was 566,022,324 Kb. I created the scheduled full backup using the entries for what is to be backed up on the Macrium Reflect backup screen. Should I have accepted this, and, if so, any idea why it is so much larger than the previous scheduled full  backup?

Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)
Did you create a new Backup definition file (XML)?  Your C drive contains over 580 GB of data.  So a backup size of 566 GB (which includes other partitions as well) does not seem out of line.  If you created a new Backup definition file you may not be using compression on the new definition file which could explain the size difference.  If you did a defrag after removing all those old programs or data, that might also explain the size change.
Edited 25 January 2020 8:03 PM by Drac144
Bewildered
Bewildered
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Drac144 - 25 January 2020 8:02 PM
Did you create a new Backup definition file (XML)?  Your C drive contains over 580 GB of data.  So a backup size of 566 GB (which includes other partitions as well) does not seem out of line.  If you created a new Backup definition file you may not be using compression on the new definition file which could explain the size difference.  If you did a defrag after removing all those old programs or data, that might also explain the size change.

Thanks for the quick reply. I just checked the new Backup definition file, which does that compression is set to medium. Yes, I did a major defrag after removing the old material. I would have thought that removing the old material would have reduced the size, which just may show how much I know about such things. For that matter, why would defrag increase the size?

Mysterium Magnum

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)Master (1.8K reputation)
Defragging after a cleanup and prior to a FULL image will not increase the size of the image.  I do that monthly and it usually lowers the size of a FULL since the last one (assuming no major System configuring work).
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)
Defrag wouldn’t increase the size of a Full. Do you still have any of the old Fulls? If so, if you go to the Restore tab and select one of the backups, the partition layout of the disk(s) the image contains will be shown above, including how much space was in use on each partition from the time the backup was made. Are there significant differences in the space used on any of the partitions included in these backups when comparing the old and new Fulls? If so, then the next step would be to figure out what accounts for that additional consumption by mounting the relevant partition(s) from each backup and running a directory mapping/compare utility to see where the extra consumption occurs between the old and new backups. TreeSize Free is a great utility to quickly show you where storage is being consumed, and I believe you can open multiple instances of the application simultaneously for comparison purposes.

If you do NOT see a significant difference in partition storage consumed to account for the very different size of two backups, did you accidentally include an additional partition or entirely additional DISK in your new image backups? It’s possible to create a single backup that contains images of multiple source disks. Check your definition file.

UPDATE: I see that Reflect shows the total selected data as 593 GB, which is the total for that whole disk, so it appears you didn’t accidentally start backing up an entire additional disk. Still, if that’s the size of your data selection AFTER a cleanup, it seems surprising that your earlier backups could have been only about 288 GB. On the other hand, the new backup being 566 GB seems a bit high since I’d have expected compression to save you more than that on 593 GB of data. However, if the COMPOSITION of the data on your disk changed significantly, then that could affect compression because different types of data have vastly different abilities to be compressed. Some file formats already use compression natively and therefore can’t really be compressed much further.
Edited 26 January 2020 3:36 PM by jphughan
Virginia McGovern
Virginia McGovern
Talented Member
Talented Member (112 reputation)Talented Member (112 reputation)Talented Member (112 reputation)Talented Member (112 reputation)Talented Member (112 reputation)Talented Member (112 reputation)Talented Member (112 reputation)Talented Member (112 reputation)Talented Member (112 reputation)Talented Member (112 reputation)
Has Windows updated to a new version between the images?
Perhaps there’s a Windows.old folder which would explain the doubling of the image size.
dbminter
dbminter
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
Try running Disk CleanUp and check to clean up System Files.  See if there's anything there that might have added to the space you don't necessarily need, like old Windows 10 update folders, device driver packages, and Windows Update installation files.

Bewildered
Bewildered
Virginia McGovern - 7 February 2020 9:09 PM
Has Windows updated to a new version between the images?
Perhaps there’s a Windows.old folder which would explain the doubling of the image size.

I've not returned here due to a major disaster, with much data lost, much time lost, or more succinctly, too much.

I was getting ready to try one last ISO attempt, this time in Clean Boot. As you cannot actually turn Comodo Firewall off, and as there is a plethora of advice about this, I was in the process of uninstalling it. The last step is to  restart, which I did; to my complete dismay, Windows had absolutely no WifFi; the only way to fix that was to boot the ISO and replace Windows.Before I did that, I did some research, and bought EaseUS PCTrans, hoping that it would recover at least a good part of my now-ruined Windows, and then I expected to use my Macrium Reflect backups. Given the strange difficulties I had been encountering, such as not being able to install an ISO, I suspect that my copy of Windows had been in a slow process of becoming corrupt before the WiFi catastrophe.

Ran  PCTrans, then replaced  Windows,and ran the the program restore function of PCTrans, which did restore many of my programs. It has a separate module for restoring files, but only did so for two, which happened to be among the most important to me. I  corresponded  for while with EaseUS technical support, which seems to have given up, and to not even told me why. I discovered that I could simply copy and paste anything in the file module that I wanted, so I've not bothered to contact them again. I also intend to use the program's set-up a new computer module, as I am about to purchase a new one; my wife shall inherit mine, and hers (which was mine) is nearly six years old shall be donated.

Having done that, I opened Macrium  Reflect to do further restoring, only to find that my backup files were corrupt! I've been slowly doing what I can to remember some of the missing programs; in fact, today, I figured out what to search for and found and restored one missing program. Some of my material is in Dropbox, but given the slowness of my DSL, not as much as should be there. Last Monday's full Reflect backup is 53,704,291, and, yes, I have checked and it is accessible, not corrupted.

There are many things that are gone. sic transit gloria mundi

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search