clone to new 500g ssd from 'c' drive 250g ssd

Author
bohurs
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I  cloned from 'c' drive 250g to 500g but Win 10 will not boot from new ssd. I tried redo the clone but it Macrium refuses bc disk in use so I have been unable to do anything with it. No boot, unable to delete to reclone it. I am lost. Please I need some help. Thanks. Bob.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Based on you getting the error that the disk is in use, it sounds like you’re trying to do this all from within Windows rather than from bootable Rescue Media. I’d recommend the latter, because Rescue Media has a function called “Fix Boot Problems” that often fixes these post-clone boot issues, especially on systems that boot in UEFI mode. Cloning within Windows is fine, and normally even a second clone attempt over an existing disk is fine too, so I’m not sure what’s causing the “disk in use” error (probably some background application), but Fix Boot Problems is sometimes necessary and is only available within Rescue.

Make sure that the new disk is connected internally (Windows doesn’t support booting from devices attached via USB, although it’s fine to clone to a disk while it’s attached that way) and at least for the Fix Boot Problems run and the initial boot attempt, I’d recommend disconnecting the source disk so that only the new disk is connected.

If you haven’t created Rescue Media yet, there’s a wizard for that within Reflect when you launch it from Windows.
Edited 25 January 2020 4:04 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search