Error Disk 1 partition 3 not valid

Author
scopio
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Whilst creating an image of Win 7 before updating to Win 10 I encountered the following error but the image was created. I run chkdsk /r and tried again and still had the error but it did create the image.
Disk 1 partition 3 not valid
Would I still be able to restore the image if I wanted to go back to Win 7?

Merlin
Merlin
Talented Member
Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)
Could you show us a graphic of your Disk 1 partitions?
scopio
scopio
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Merlin - 24 January 2020 6:07 PM

Will do at a later stage as it is running an image at the moment.​
scopio
scopio
Merlin - 24 January 2020 6:07 PM

Disks in laptop (plus external disk)
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)
Windows upgrades can change your partition layout, so after installing a new release (even when updating between Windows 10 releases), it's a good idea to check your definition files to make sure that all partitions are still selected for backup as desired.  It looks like the Windows 10 upgrade deleted whatever was in the first 12 GB of your Windows disk.  I'm not sure what was there or why it would have been deleted (screenshots showing the partition layout contained in a pre-upgrade backup might shed some light on that), but deleting a partition at the beginning of the disk would have caused the subsequent partitions to be renumbered.  As a result, you now only have two partitions on that disk, which means that your pre-upgrade definition file that says to back up "Partition 3" is no longer valid because "Partition 3" is no longer a valid designation for that disk.  (Note: Reflect numbers disks starting from 1, whereas Disk Management starts with 0, so "Disk 1" in Reflect would be Disk 0 in Disk Management -- even though both Reflect and Disk Management start partition numbering at 1.)  You just need to edit your definition file to select only the partitions that are still valid after the upgrade.  And you'll end up with a new Full backup due to the partition layout change, i.e. you can't continue adding Diffs/Incs to existing sets.  But after that new Full things can proceed as normal.

But you'd still definitely be able to restore your disk from your pre-upgrade backups as normal if needed.  The definition file edit is only to make sure FUTURE backups of your Windows 10 environment run properly.

Edited 24 January 2020 7:10 PM by jphughan
Merlin
Merlin
Talented Member
Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)Talented Member (163 reputation)
And I would recommend using a partition program to move that 12GB partition to the right side of the disk, and then extend your C partition to get that usable space back.
Of course, image the disk before doing anything like that.
scopio
scopio
Merlin - 25 January 2020 2:54 PM
And I would recommend using a partition program to move that 12GB partition to the right side of the disk, and then extend your C partition to get that usable space back.
Of course, image the disk before doing anything like that.

Yes I intend to use MiniTool to do that, Thanks

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)
It might be faster to just perform a custom restore using the drag and drop method in the wizard in order to restore the existing partitions starting at the beginning of the disk rather than the default mode of restoring them to their original/existing location. I tend to prefer that over live repartitioning tools, but either way should get you there.
scopio
scopio
Used MiniTool to move the Unallocated partition to the far right so that I could extend the C: partition by 12Gb of the unallocated partition.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search