Restoring a clone to a blank formatted C drive

Author
Eric Carwardine
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hallo;

Can I restore a clone using a Rescue disk?

If I don't like Windows 10 I need to revert to Windows 7 on the C: drive.

Anticipating the dislike I have cloned (and imaged and done File and Folder backups) of Windows 7 on C:

Can I restore the clone using the bootable Rescue disk?

I'd be restoring to a C: that has been cleaned and partitioned using DISKPART.

Eric

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
You don't really "restore" a clone.  You restore an image backup.  A clone operation is just from one disk to another, and since a clone isn't really a backup (for multiple reasons), there isn't really a concept of "restoring" it.  But if you have either an image backup of all partitions of your Windows disk -- NOT just the C partition! -- or a secondary drive onto which you have cloned all partitions of your Windows disk, then you can use your Rescue Media to either restore that image backup or clone that secondary drive back onto your primary drive.

And either way, there's no need to manually set up partitions using diskpart beforehand because if you're restoring or cloning the entire disk rather than performing a custom operation that only involves certain partitions, then Reflect will just blow away whatever you've done on the destination disk anyway as part of its image restore or clone process.  But again, a proper system backup or clone typically includes more than just the C partition.  You'll typically have at least a Windows Recovery partition, and on systems set up for UEFI booting you'll also have EFI and MSR partitions -- all of which are hidden since they don't get assigned a drive letter.  But in many cases, if you only restore the C partition, you won't end up with a bootable system because those other partitions serve important purposes.  The best way to figure out what you need is to open Reflect in Windows, and under the Backup Tasks section in the upper-left corner, click "Create an image of the partitions required to backup and restore Windows".  That will open the image backup wizard with the partitions that fit that description pre-selected.  Those partitions should be considered your "minimum viable backup/clone".  You can include additional partitions if you want, but any image backup or clone that you perform for system backup/recovery purposes should include at least the partitions that Reflect pre-selects when you click that item.

Edited 24 January 2020 2:04 AM by jphughan
BenR29
BenR29
New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)
Eric Carwardine - 23 January 2020 9:17 PM
Hallo;

Can I restore a clone using a Rescue disk?

If I don't like Windows 10 I need to revert to Windows 7 on the C: drive.

Anticipating the dislike I have cloned (and imaged and done File and Folder backups) of Windows 7 on C:

Can I restore the clone using the bootable Rescue disk?

I'd be restoring to a C: that has been cleaned and partitioned using DISKPART.

Eric

In other words yes.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search