Backup schedule problem

Author
Watison
Talented Member
Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Using MR v7.2.4601 on Windows 10 Home

Here is my backup plan:

Here are the backups I'm getting. I do not see a full backup every Monday. 

I'd like some help with setting up the backup plan so that a full backup runs once a week, with incremental backups on the days when the full backup does not run.

Thanks
Sheltieuk
Sheltieuk
New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)
@Watison It looks like you haven't set up a schedule for the full backup in your definition, you need to set 2 schedules for that situation, one fro the full and one for the Incrementals.

Windows 10 Pro
Edited 23 January 2020 1:14 PM by Sheltieuk
Watison
Watison
Talented Member
Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)Talented Member (119 reputation)
My 1st screenshot shows I have 2 schedules - one for Full and one for Incremental. Or did you mean something else? 
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)
The schedule setup looks correct.  Check the Log tab to see what jobs are running on Monday.  If you see a log for a Full job in addition to the Incremental, then the log will show you the name of the file that was created.  If you're not seeing a log entry for a Monday morning Full at all, it might be an issue with Windows Task Scheduler, which Reflect relies on.  In that case, try deleting the Full schedule, clicking Finish to update the definition file, which will cause Reflect to update Task Scheduler, then reopen the definition file for editing and add the Full schedule back, which will recreate the Task Scheduler task.

Otherwise, is it possible that the "Purge backup sets when free space reaches 5 GB" option is causing your old backup sets to be deleted every time a new Full is created or at some point during the week before the NEXT Full is created?  If you're low enough on space, then that option could mean you'll only ever see one Full and its child Incrementals.  If that's happening, you'll see a note about this type of purge in the log of whatever job had to use that option.

Edited 23 January 2020 2:37 PM by jphughan
Watison
Watison
Talented Member
Thanks. It looks like not enough free space on the drive was causing the problem. 
Watison
Watison
Talented Member
Watison - 24 January 2020 5:22 PM
Thanks. It looks like not enough free space on the drive was causing the problem. 

Freeing up enough space did not solve the problem. I cleared up space on the drive, deleted the old schedule, then created a new schedule for a full backup. The backup failed. I tried running a full backup manually, now I'm seeing this error below. How can I fix this? Do you need a full log? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting Image - [date]
Initializing
Write Method: Using File System Cache
Destination Drive: INTENSO (XSmile - Free Space 720.97 GB
Image Guardian: Protected
Free space threshold: Delete oldest backup sets when free space is less than 5.00 GB
Creating Volume Snapshot - Please Wait
Failed: VSS Timeout - Retrying without VSS Writers
Failed to rename VSS log file, reason: Encountered a sharing violation while accessing C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\vss.log.
Backup aborted! - Failed To Create Volume Snapshot. Failed - 0x80042316 - IDispatch error #8470
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are 2 Windows Events errors: 
Type:  Warning
Event:  1534
Source:  Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
Profile notification of event Unload for component {B31118B2-1F49-48E5-B6F5-BC21CAEC56FB} failed, error code is See Tracelogging for error details.
Type:  Warning
Event:  1534
Source:  Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
Profile notification of event Load for component {B31118B2-1F49-48E5-B6F5-BC21CAEC56FB} failed, error code is See Tracelogging for error details.

============= 
Windows 10 Home
Macrium Reflect Home Edition v7.2.4601

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (8.8K reputation)
If a simple restart doesn’t clear that, try opening Reflect and selecting Other Tasks > Fix VSS Problems. If you still have an issue, do you have any other disk imaging tools installed, or perhaps third-party anti-virus?
Watison
Watison
Talented Member
jphughan - 4 February 2020 2:48 PM
If a simple restart doesn’t clear that, try opening Reflect and selecting Other Tasks > Fix VSS Problems. If you still have an issue, do you have any other disk imaging tools installed, or perhaps third-party anti-virus?

I restarted the computer and a full backup started to run. It ran for many hours then failed with this message: Backup aborted! - Unable to open file handle for '\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy961' - The system cannot find the file specified.

In the log are several errors such as:
Profile notification of event Load for component {B31118B2-1F49-48E5-B6F5-BC21CAEC56FB} failed, error code is See Tracelogging for error details.
Profile notification of event Unload for component {B31118B2-1F49-48E5-B6F5-BC21CAEC56FB} failed, error code is See Tracelogging for error details.

The incremental backup also showed the "Backup aborted" error. 

After that, I did as suggested: Other Tasks > Fix VSS Problems
I am now I'm trying to run a full backup, and will report back to say how that went. 

===
Meanwhile, on my other external backup, the full backup that's supposed to run every Monday does not run. I have it set to retain 3 incremental images, but there are now 10 in the series of backups. The last full backup was Jan. 24. 

===
I don't have other disk imaging programs, but run Second Copy on specific folders.
I use Malwarebytes (free version), Hitman Pro, and Spyware Blaster. None of these show any Macrium Reflect problems. 

Thanks

Watison
Watison
Talented Member
The full backup failed with this error message: 
Backup aborted! - Unable to read from disk - Error Code 2 - The system cannot find the file specified.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Do you have any third-party anti-virus installed or any other type of disk imaging or shadow copy creation/management application installed?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search