The "backup without verifying the file system" option is missing from the rescue media version of...

The "backup without verifying the file system" option is missing from...
Author
Scott Larson
Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Today I was attempting to image a drive with a corrupted file system and the Macrium Reflect v7 rescue media would not image the drive unless I repaired the file system outside of the imaging software. The problem with this is that if the file system is in a really bad state, scanning and repairing it is only going to make the damage worse. I could not find any option to turn this feature off. I did see that you can image the disk without compression does that turn this feature off?

Update: Changed "Scanned" with "Repaired" for clarification .

Edited 20 January 2020 11:07 PM by Scott Larson
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
I believe that option is only allowed under LIVE imaging under Windows, not from the Recovery Media.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
If it’s available at all, it will be under the Advanced Options section that you can access by clicking the link of that name in the lower-left corner of the backup wizard dialog boxes. But like Froggie, I can’t remember if it’s there or under Edit Defaults > Advanced in Windows, which is NOT available in Rescue.
dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
Am I missing something or is this not the feature under Reflect Defaults --> Backup --> Verify File System that you would want to disable?  Although whether it's available in the Rescue environment, I don't know, but if you disabled that setting so it doesn't perform a partition verify before start of backup, then the backup should proceed.  Although if there are bad sectors, you'd probably need to go to Edit Defaults --> Advanced --> Advanced Backup Operations and check the Ignore bad sectors option.  Again whether that's available in the Rescue environment, I don't know.

Edited 19 January 2020 3:02 AM by dbminter
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
Scott said he was trying to use the RESCUE MEDIA... and I believe that option does not exist there.
dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
I saw that, which was why I included I wasn't sure if those options would work in the Rescue environment.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (4.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Scott Larson - 18 January 2020 9:37 PM
Today I was attempting to image a drive with a corrupted file system and the Macrium Reflect v7 rescue media would not image the drive unless I scanned the file system outside of the imaging software. The problem with this is that if the file system is in a really bad state, scanning and repairing it is only going to make the damage worse. I could not find any option to turn this feature off. I did see that you can image the disk without compression does that turn this feature off?

Thanks for posting

The problem with this is that if the file system is in a really bad state, scanning and repairing it is only going to make the damage worse.

The file system scan simply reads the file system to ascertain that all file cluster runs are represented in the NTFS $BITMAP meta data file. It doesn't attempt any repairs or write to the file system. If reading the disk causes a problem then it's probably too late to create an image. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Scott Larson
Scott Larson
Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)Junior Member (77 reputation)
Nick - 20 January 2020 9:30 AM
Scott Larson - 18 January 2020 9:37 PM
Today I was attempting to image a drive with a corrupted file system and the Macrium Reflect v7 rescue media would not image the drive unless I scanned the file system outside of the imaging software. The problem with this is that if the file system is in a really bad state, scanning and repairing it is only going to make the damage worse. I could not find any option to turn this feature off. I did see that you can image the disk without compression does that turn this feature off?

Thanks for posting

The problem with this is that if the file system is in a really bad state, scanning and repairing it is only going to make the damage worse.

The file system scan simply reads the file system to ascertain that all file cluster runs are represented in the NTFS $BITMAP meta data file. It doesn't attempt any repairs or write to the file system. If reading the disk causes a problem then it's probably too late to create an image. 

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. When the rescue disk version of reflect requires the disk to be scanned outside of the rescue version of reflect, via chkdsk before it will image the drive, the act of scanning a volume that has sustained significant file system damage can cause further damage to the file system. Its important for imaging software to not be too strict on this because sometimes you just want to image the volume the way it is without requiring changes to the file system itself to protect the integrity of the data. My goal is to try to understand why the rescue version of reflect does not have an option to disable checking of the file system.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
@scottrlarson Reflect doesn't scan "the disk" or "the volume" as you claim -- nor does CHKDSK itself scan the entire volume unless you add the /R switch to scan the entire disk surface for bad clusters.  The default mode for CHKDSK, which is what Reflect does, is to perform an integrity check only of the file system, which is not remotely the same thing as the entire disk or volume.  And that is a read-only check, so nothing about the file system will change as a result of that scan even if Reflect finds a problem.  I don't really understand your claim that a read-only scan of a file system could cause damage to the file system.  Are you concerned about the disk failing as a result of the extra read activity in general?  If so, then considering the relatively minimal read I/O required for a file system integrity check -- particularly in comparison to the read I/O involved in capturing an image backup of the partition contents -- if your disk can't even survive a basic file system check, I don't think it's reasonable to expect it to survive an image backup, as Nick already said.

Edited 20 January 2020 6:45 PM by jphughan
Scott Larson
Scott Larson
jphughan - 20 January 2020 6:43 PM
@scottrlarson Reflect doesn't scan "the disk" or "the volume" as you claim -- nor does CHKDSK itself scan the entire volume unless you add the /R switch to scan the entire disk surface for bad clusters.  The default mode for CHKDSK, which is what Reflect does, is to perform an integrity check only of the file system, which is not remotely the same thing as the entire disk or volume.  And that is a read-only check, so nothing about the file system will change as a result of that scan even if Reflect finds a problem.  I don't really understand your claim that a read-only scan of a file system could cause damage to the file system.  Are you concerned about the disk failing as a result of the extra read activity in general?  If so, then considering the relatively minimal read I/O required for a file system integrity check -- particularly in comparison to the read I/O involved in capturing an image backup of the partition contents -- if your disk can't even survive a basic file system check, I don't think it's reasonable to expect it to survive an image backup, as Nick already said.

I must be doing a really bad job in making myself understood.

Please note that this is not about the Macrium Reflect rescue media's check of the file system, this is about requiring a clean file system before Macrium Reflect rescue media will image the drive. Also I am not talking about physical damage to the media. Sometimes the file system can become so corrupted that scanning and repairing the file system can cause data loss.

From my understanding:
1. Macrium Reflect Rescue will not image a a drive if the file system is in a bad state, thus requiring a scan the drive with the /f /r options to make it clean before an imaging can happen.
2. Its not a good idea to require a clean file system before imaging a drive since repairing a file system can cause more damage.

This is my understanding to the best of my knowledge, if I did not make myself understood, or I am incorrect in my assertions, please let me know.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search