can image guardian protect images on an sd card?

Author
johnspartan
New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I suspect no, but figured I'd ask. 

I use a local sd card to make backup images from my notebook system; works great. If I try to delete them from the SD card, Guardian does not appear to stop me. That being said, I made sure that Guardian is turned on (though I might have turned it on after I made the image, if that matters). 

Thanks Reflect-ors! : ) 

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
According to the KB article here, Image Guardian works with local NTFS volumes.  There's nothing about a requirement that the local volume be a fixed disk class device like a hard drive or SSD (as opposed to a removable storage class device like most flash drives and SD cards), so if your SD card is formatted as NTFS, it may work.  I was about to say that you can check the Image Guardian protection status of any volume (and enable or disable it on a per-volume basis) by opening Reflect and looking for the Image Guardian logo in the "Create a backup" tab and toggling it under the Actions menu, but then I realized that since Reflect only supports backing up fixed disk class devices, an SD card volume wouldn't show up there.  So even if Image Guardian worked on an NTFS-formatted SD card, I'm not sure how you'd get volume-level control of it rather than having to enable or disable Image Guardian system-wide.

But it definitely doesn't matter when backup files were created.  Image Guardian protects Macrium backup file types when it's on, regardless of when they were created or on what system.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
One follow-up in addition to the above.  Having Image Guardian enabled does not automatically cause it to activate on every "eligible" volume you attach at the moment you attach it.  Here's the way I remember it being explained to me by Macrium.  If you have the "Automatically protect local backup drives" option checked, then if Image Guardian is enabled system-wide, protection for "eligible" volumes will be automatically enabled when Reflect first sends a backup to it.  The way THAT works is that Reflect adds a marker to that volume indicating that it should receive Image Guardian protection from them on.  If you manually disable Image Guardian on that specific volume, then that marker is removed.  The benefit of having a marker on the volume itself is that from that point on, Image Guardian will be automatically enabled whenever that device is connected in the future (assuming Image Guardian is enabled), even if you then connect that disk to a completely different system -- again, assuming that other system has Image Guardian enabled.  But if you enable Image Guardian and then connect a volume that's never had Image Guardian enabled on it before, then it won't be enabled for that volume right out of the gate.  Again, this per-volume status is normally something you'd see in Reflect itself, but not for an SD card volume.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search