Automatic shutdown or reboot after restore

Author
Pim
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am surprised this option is not available, many other imaging programs do have it. I sorely need it and I would imagine others could use it too. Having this options allows me to start a restore and then leave the computer alone, trusting that it will shutdown (or reboot) after the restore. This is a.o. useful when starting a restore at night, and then not having to have the computer powered on until the next morning when I can reboot it or shut it down. This option would be very useful in both the Windows version as well as in the recovery environment (CD, boot menu).
F.i. I need to restore a 1 TB (data) hard drive tonight. Restoring such an image takes many hours and during the day I need the computer, so it would be great if I could just start the restore and then find the computer powered off the next morning. In this particular case I can then check in Windows Safe Mode whether everything is fine after the restore (particularly the drive letters). This is an HTPC which only works well with the correct drive letters and if that is wrong it could mess up the index of TV recordings. Therefore I want to check the drive letters in Safe Mode before I start Windows.

I am aware that starting a restore from within Windows reboots after a successful restore, but here too a choice for shutdown instead of reboot would be very welcome. It would also add value to the rescue media if one could set an automatic reboot, just like if the restore were started from within Windows.

Somebody else has posted a similar request in the rescue media forum, so I am not the only one in need of this option.
Virginia McGovern
Virginia McGovern
Talented Member
Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)
+1 from me.
VR1
VR1
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
+1 from me as well. Shutdown, Reboot, and Sleep should all be available post-backup options.

When I was new to the product I was very surprised this feature did not exist in the interface. Sure you can run a script after the backup, however this specific option should be available in the administrative interface as it is in competitor's products. Macrium is the best product in this space, in my opinion, but needs to shore up a few things to match or surpass competitors in terms of features like this and also the reliability of logging.

Looking forward to the next release. Keep up the great work!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search