Downloading v7.2.4063 possible?

Author
UserWithNoName
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
After noticing a dramatic increase in backup times due to (manually) upgrading from v7.2.4063 to v7.2.4594, I'd really like to downgrade to the old version ASAP.

I also submitted a support ticket, but I'd rather not wait 3 days until I can do incremental backups again properly.

Is it possible to download old versions somewhere? Could there be any problems downgrading?

Thanks in advance!
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)
UserWithNoName - 6 January 2020 5:14 AM
After noticing a dramatic increase in backup times due to (manually) upgrading from v7.2.4063 to v7.2.4594, I'd really like to downgrade to the old version ASAP.

I also submitted a support ticket, but I'd rather not wait 3 days until I can do incremental backups again properly.

Is it possible to download old versions somewhere? Could there be any problems downgrading?

Thanks in advance!

The latest version is actually Build 4601... you should probably try that first.
UserWithNoName
UserWithNoName
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
For some strange reason, my Reflect installation doesn't seem to do any update checks (not blocked in firewall). I only noticed that yesterday, so I manually installed the version offered by the downloader (and the problems started).

Thanks for the information, will try running it again.

EDIT: Just checked, I'm already running 4601. I had just pasted the version number from an older changelog.

Edited 6 January 2020 1:44 PM by UserWithNoName
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)
I don't know of a way to download older versions, although some users choose to use the download agent periodically to retrieve full installers rather than updates specifically so they can keep those.  Same with Rescue Media ISOs for a different reason.

But in terms of the issue, aAre you perhaps running Incrementals?  If so, the release notes for 7.2.4433, which occurs between your old and new builds, includes the following;

Changed Block Tracker
The CBT communications protocol has been improved. The first Incremental after installing may take longer than normal.

Note that if you back up to multiple sets, the first Incremental to each new set would take longer than normal.  So are you seeing this behavior even after adding multiple Incrementals to the same set?  If so, how much longer are we talking here?  Are you sure there isn't some other underlying cause, such as Reflect actually performing a Full even when you asked it for a Diff/Inc?  If so, the log would note that this happened and why.  There haven't been any reports of vastly increased backup times anywhere in the release cycle from your previous release to the current one, so it might make more sense to actually figure out what's going on.

Do you run third-party anti-virus?

(Lastly, note that you posted this in the Reflect V6 section of the forum.)

Edited 6 January 2020 3:07 PM by jphughan
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)
I retain pretty much all installers for at least about a year.  I still have 7.2.4595.  If you still want to pursue the path of downgrading, I can put it on my OneDrive for you.

Be aware, I don't think, you can downgrading an existing installation of Reflect.  You'll have to uninstall the "old" version and install the "older" version in its place.  However, uninstall defaults to retaining all user settings, definitions files, and schedules.

UserWithNoName
UserWithNoName
Sorry for posting in the wrong section, there is another thread concerning V7 further below, so I overlooked that there are multiple sections.

Short version: I was able to get incrementals running fast like before by using v7.2.4063 from an installer support sent me (which reacted quite fast by the way). It took two attempts and reboots, but now it seems downgrading didn't cause any new issues.

Long version: The increase in duration was really extreme. 10 minutes before the update, hours (I didn't even let it finish) afterwards. Good find in the release notes! Of course I had not read all release notes of the versions I skipped before upgrading. In fact I didn't read any at all. Reflect has been for years one of my most trouble-free pieces of software which just ran, hundreds of backups without problem, so I just assumed any update would be ok. Maybe it would be good to display such information during installation, as those several extra hours for a backup because of a change in CBT come totally unexpected...

Anyway, I will definitely stay with the old version for now, unless anyone here reports a speed increase in FULL backups. Because I don't care if it runs 10 minutes or 7, but my last full backup (encrypted + verified) took 50 hours (6.5GB) - in that case an increase in speed would be nice. But not required, as long as incrementals are running fine.

Thanks again for the help!
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)
I may be wrong since I don't use CBT, but I don't think that the change I called out above would be responsible for a difference on the order of 10 minutes to hours.  Glad you're back up and running, although I would argue that this would be worth investigating when you have some time to do so, because avoiding all future Reflect releases isn't a good long-term solution, of course

UserWithNoName
UserWithNoName
Well, the overall time prediction has never been that accurate anyway - I now noticed that it also starts at 20 hours with the old version, and then only takes 10 minutes. I usually didn't attend the backups after starting them so I didn't notice that before. But I did leave it running for about 2 hours last night, and there were several partitions left to do when I stopped it. (It's a rather noisy HDD enclosure with fan on my desk.)

Now that I know I can probably always go back to the working version, I might indeed give it a try and update again at some point to investigate further, but for now I'm just happy it's running again.

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)
Changes to the CBT driver that increase a first Incremental's run time can be an order of an hour or so.  Around 500 GB in total source to be backed up in one of my definitions, the Incremental takes me like an hour and a half when there are changes to the CBT driver that can increase the first Incremental.

If all your Incrementals are doing this, then something is going wrong, yes.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
dbminter - 6 January 2020 9:12 PM
Changes to the CBT driver that increase a first Incremental's run time can be an order of an hour or so.  Around 500 GB in total source to be backed up in one of my definitions, the Incremental takes me like an hour and a half when there are changes to the CBT driver that can increase the first Incremental.

If all your Incrementals are doing this, then something is going wrong, yes.

Wow, really?  I would've thought that the CBT update I mentioned would just cause the first new Inc backup in each set after installing that update not to use CBT at all, which extends run time a bit but typically not drastically.  I wouldn't have expected it to cause a very long-running CBT backup.

Edited 6 January 2020 9:25 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search