Cannot restore file from mounted image "remove write protection"

Author
mauryp
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've found a file I desperately need to restore, but when I try to copy (from mounted H) then paste to C I get a pop-up message "to remove the write protection" However the file's property/general tab shows the Read Only box is unchecked. How can I remove write protection from the mounted H drive?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)
I don't think an error about write protection would pertain to the source file, since you're just trying to read that file.  It sounds like it may have something to do with the destination, perhaps the specific location where you're trying to copy that file to -- so where on C are you trying to copy?  If it's a location that by default only administrators have access to write to (and only after accepting a UAC prompt), try copying it to a more typical location like your Desktop or Documents folder, and from there copying it somewhere else if needed.  I've seen issues like this occur when trying to copy to "protected" locations from places like network shares, so maybe something is going on with this virtual drive mount as well.  Also be aware that if you've mounted a File & Folder backup rather than an image backup, you won't be able to properly restore files larger than 4GB by mounting and copy/pasting.  Instead, you'll want to use the Restore wizard.  In fact if the suggestion I just made above doesn't work, try using the Restore wizard anyway instead of mounting and browsing, even if the file of interest is smaller than 4GB.  The wizard gives you the option to restore the file to a location other than its original source location if desired.

Edited 3 January 2020 10:46 PM by jphughan
mauryp
mauryp
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
jphughan - 3 January 2020 10:45 PM
I don't think an error about write protection would pertain to the source file, since you're just trying to read that file.  It sounds like it may have something to do with the destination, perhaps the specific location where you're trying to copy that file to -- so where on C are you trying to copy?  If it's a location that by default only administrators have access to write to (and only after accepting a UAC prompt), try copying it to a more typical location like your Desktop or Documents folder, and from there copying it somewhere else if needed.  I've seen issues like this occur when trying to copy to "protected" locations from places like network shares, so maybe something is going on with this virtual drive mount as well.  Also be aware that if you've mounted a File & Folder backup rather than an image backup, you won't be able to properly restore files larger than 4GB by mounting and copy/pasting.  Instead, you'll want to use the Restore wizard.  In fact if the suggestion I just made above doesn't work, try using the Restore wizard anyway instead of mounting and browsing, even if the file of interest is smaller than 4GB.  The wizard gives you the option to restore the file to a location other than its original source location if desired.

I believe the issue is that the file to be recovered happens to be on an earlier OneDrive file. Apparently past onedrive files can't be started to allow them to be opened.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (19K reputation)
I've never tried backing up OneDrive files with Reflect, although I believe others here are doing that, so hopefully they'll chime in.  I'd expect they would be able to restore properly if they backed up properly, though.  But in the meantime, does OneDrive have any sort of previous versions capability that might allow you to recover an older version of the file through them?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search