Convert a Full with Incremental Schedule to Incremental Forever

Author
gmanning
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I just started using site manager last week and would like to change the backup strategy I initially went with. I have a schedule that runs a weekly full on Saturday and then an incremental each of the other days of the week. I have the retention set to keeping 2 backups for the full and to run the purge before the backup.

So far, I have a full and a few incremental backups for my workstations.  I would like to change it to an Incremental Forever with Synthetic Full strategy.

What I did was altered my existing schedule to mirror the template "Incrementals Forever". I set it to trigger Incremental at 7PM weekdays and to retain 5 incremental backups as well as create synthetic if possible and run purge before backup/

I manually ran the schedule through "Scheduled Activity" selecting just my PC and "Incremental" for the backup type but it didn't merge the oldest incremental with the root full. I ran it a few times to the point where I have the root full and 7 incremental backups. 

Is it possible to convert backup strategies like this?

Edited 10 December 2019 8:15 PM by gmanning
gmanning
gmanning
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
UPDATE: When the regularly scheduled backup ran tonight it merged the oldest incremental into the root full as expected.

So my issue is with how to trigger the retention policy when I manually start the backup from Site Manager.
Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi,

At the moment, retention rules are applied during scheduled backups only - taking manual backups via the 'Run Now' feature will always preserve all old backups. We've done it this way to prevent accidentally applying retention rules when performing manual backups and e.g. selecting the wrong repository or full/diff/inc without realizing it. I do see that there are cases where it's better to apply the rules when manually retrying failed backups or bringing backups forward. Possibly we could look at adding an option in a future release to apply these rules optionally. 

I'd be interested in any feedback the forum has on this!

Kind Regards,

Alex

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...