Need to Update Recovery Media after MR Point Update?

Author
SantaFeBill
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Do you need to update your recovery media after every MR point update?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)
Definitely not. Relatively few Reflect updates even contain changes that pertain to the Rescue environment at all, and when they do, the release notes typically have a note in res text saying to rebuild your Rescue Media after updating if the change applies to you. But even then, that last part is key. Sometimes those changes only pertain to specific situations or setups that may or may not apply to you. So you can definitely skip Rescue Media updates if the Reflect update you just installed doesn’t have any changes that are or could even potentially be relevant to you.

I personally don’t even update Reflect itself every single time there’s an update available if nothing in that update’s release notes sounds relevant to me. And for Rescue Media, I always keep an ISO file of a known working Rescue Media build somewhere that I’ll be able to access if my PC ever dies. That way even if I update Reflect and the update turns out to have introduced a problem with its Rescue Media, which has happened, I’ll still have that ISO available to create usable Rescue Media even if it’s based on a slightly older Reflect version.

SantaFeBill
SantaFeBill
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
jphughan - 29 November 2019 10:49 PM
Definitely not. Relatively few Reflect updates even contain changes that pertain to the Rescue environment at all, and when they do, the release notes typically have a note in res text saying to rebuild your Rescue Media after updating if the change applies to you. But even then, that last part is key. Sometimes those changes only pertain to specific situations or setups that may or may not apply to you. So you can definitely skip Rescue Media updates if the Reflect update you just installed doesn’t have any changes that are or could even potentially be relevant to you.I personally don’t even update Reflect itself every single time there’s an update available if nothing in that update’s release notes sounds relevant to me. And for Rescue Media, I always keep an ISO file of a known working Rescue Media build somewhere that I’ll be able to access if my PC ever dies. That way even if I update Reflect and the update turns out to have introduced a problem with its Rescue Media, which has happened, I’ll still have that ISO available to create usable Rescue Media even if it’s based on a slightly older Reflect version.

Thanks! Saves CD's.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)
Happy to help!  Although you might want to consider switching to USB flash drives.  Even decent ones are cheap enough that you can dedicate one to Rescue Media, and they boot MUCH faster than optical discs -- plus they're easy to update as needed without having to deal with new discs or rewritable discs.  I myself use SanDisk Ultra Flair flash drives as my workhorse because they're physically small, fast on read speeds, decent on write speeds, and very inexpensive.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search