Windows 10 Upgrade issues

Author
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
One more thing in addition to the above: As mentioned in the first post of this thread, as a result of this partition layout change, your retention policy won't purge the older backups anymore.  You'll either have to do that manually or change your backup set matching policy to "all backup sets in the destination folder" rather than your current (and default) "all matching sets".  The latter option will simplify things in this new world where frequent Windows 10 upgrades are the norm, but if you want to enable that, I would recommend making sure that your destination folder for these backups stores ONLY backups of this particular PC.  Otherwise, if you have backups from multiple PCs stored in that same folder, then as the "all backup sets" wording implies, enabling that option could cause Reflect to delete backups made by a completely different PC, rather than backups made by a different "version" of your PC's disk layout.

Edited 28 November 2017 9:11 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Stuart Tunstall - 28 November 2017 9:10 PM

Thank you for the great and much simpler explanation of how it works, great for a novice like me Smile

I still think Microsoft should give you the option to install updates rather than force them, it has gone well apart from a couple of minor issues with HP Software, the 3D Guard and Coolsense which even after i updated to there so called fix still seem to not work... Sad see what they have to say..

Only other issue is some missing icons in the app section

Name:  icon.JPGViews: 8Size:  36.0 KB

No idea why they are missing and just blank squares...

At least I know if I do get sick of 1709 and find any major issues I can go back to my last (last night) version of 1703 Smile I would indeed restore the first 4 partitions Smile 

Looks like the attachment about icons didn't show up, but if that screenshot was of your Start menu, that's not unusual for a new Windows update.  Some Start tiles are just stubs for apps that aren't even installed on your PC yet but will automatically download in the background, or for apps that won't install unless you click them.  In the latter case, Microsoft is using the Start menu as advertising space for third-party apps, which is how they're making Windows 10 "free".  You can remove them of course, but Microsoft has correctly bet that the average user won't always bother.

In terms of refusing new releases, Windows 10 Pro lets you defer upgrades until Microsoft certifies a new release as "ready for business" (read: enough bugs have been fixed), which is typically 6 months after the release to the general public, but even there you can't defer forever.  And that honestly makes some sense; if Microsoft is releasing a new OS build every 6 months, it can't possibly keep developing updates for all of those releases for the 10-year support period it's historically provided for Windows.  With Windows 10, Microsoft commits to providing updates for the current release and the previous 2 releases, i.e. right now it's updating Anniversary, Creators, and Fall Creators -- but in March when the next build is expected, Anniversary will no longer be supported.  Enterprise customers get an additional option to deploy a "Long Term Servicing Branch" that Microsoft DOES commit to supporting for several years, but if you install that, you are BLOCKED from installing new releases, so you can't have it both ways -- and thus far the only releases for which the Long Term Service Branch deployment option was made available are the original release (1507) and Anniversary.

Edited 28 November 2017 9:26 PM by jphughan
Stuart Tunstall
Stuart Tunstall
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (219 reputation)Proficient Member (219 reputation)Proficient Member (219 reputation)Proficient Member (219 reputation)Proficient Member (219 reputation)Proficient Member (219 reputation)Proficient Member (219 reputation)Proficient Member (219 reputation)Proficient Member (219 reputation)Proficient Member (219 reputation)
This was the image, it is when I click on taskbar settings and what icons to show,. 

One other question, when my back up starts and it notifies me it gives you options to not postpone or select a time... the last twice this has said postpone for 4 hours by default, how is this changed?

I have just changed the setting you stated, may as well have the purge automatically done Wink I do only use the backup drive on this notebook Wink 
Edited 28 November 2017 9:26 PM by Stuart Tunstall
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
I don't remember seeing that, but I don't remember looking for it either.  I know that for a while those "toast" notifications that would pop up in the lower-right corner showed some long unique identifier where the application name should be, but that went away on its own, so maybe your issue will too.  It's possible that there's just some background maintenance/update work that needs to be done, and possibly a restart or two.

I'm not sure if the default postponement option has changed since the only place I use scheduled backups is on a server where there is almost never a user logged in interactively, so I never see that prompt. But if you selected 4 hours at some point in the past, it might default to showing whichever option you last selected.
Edited 28 November 2017 9:30 PM by jphughan
Stuart Tunstall
Stuart Tunstall
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (219 reputation)Proficient Member (219 reputation)Proficient Member (219 reputation)Proficient Member (219 reputation)Proficient Member (219 reputation)Proficient Member (219 reputation)Proficient Member (219 reputation)Proficient Member (219 reputation)Proficient Member (219 reputation)Proficient Member (219 reputation)
I have just clicked to run an incremental again and it did indeed say do not postpone so I will check tomorrow Smile 
As I say i have changed the setting regarding retention rules in the default area as shown in this post, but I have noticed if I edit my backup xml it also has that option in there which still shows the all matching sets" do I need to change that as well? or does it work off the default
Edited 28 November 2017 9:35 PM by Stuart Tunstall
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Yes, you need to edit the definition file and change the setting there.  The retention settings under Edit Defaults determine the default settings for any new definition files you might create.

Stuart Tunstall
Stuart Tunstall
Proficient Member
Excellent, I have just shut the notebook down so I will get that changed tomorrow Smile 

Thanks for all the help and advice with this, made it much easier to understand..

I did just check the restore tab and last nights back up is there as you say, so ifI find any issues with the 1709 update I can go back to the old version for now Smile

Stuart
norti
norti
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
Hello

There is a new issue with Windows 10 Insider Preview build 17063, issues to be precise in this case:

- Windows 10 cannot upgrade from 17046 to 17063 if Macrium Reflect and PE environment boot options are installed. Completely removing MR solves this and after that the upgrade goes through.
- After upgrading to build 17063 and installing Macrium Reflect with all the options (except viBoot in my case), restarting the system it goes into bootloop and Windows cannot start. Removing MR/reinstating last known good state solves this.

Obviously something is changed during the boot process in Windows 10 Insider build 17063 (Microsoft hasn't answered it yet), but ith may be something on Macrium's side too.
Can you please check this?

Thanks

I have the Home Edition of MR, latest version.
Windows Insider Preview topic of the upgrade error
Edited 26 December 2017 10:19 AM by norti
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
This has been reported a couple of times in various places on the forum. Macrium has already replied that they’re looking into it. I’m guessing it has to do with MIG protection. In fact if you’re so inclined and haven’t already tested, do you see this behavior if you choose to install Reflect without the MIG component?
Edited 26 December 2017 3:41 PM by jphughan
norti
norti
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
jphughan - 26 December 2017 3:39 PM
This has been reported a couple of times in various places on the forum. Macrium has already replied that they’re looking into it. I’m guessing it has to do with MIG protection. In fact if you’re so inclined and haven’t already tested, do you see this behavior if you choose to install Reflect without the MIG component?

Tried it without, the same bootloop.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search