Macrium telemetry

Author
Roland Stoller
Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
"...I have a lot of respect for Macrium, but they've fallen prey to the same mentality as most other developers "Be everything to everybody and collect as much telemetry data as you can while you're at it". I've installed trial versions and watched with Wireshark..."  Yanta, in another thread.

If this is true, then a question:  why would Macrium join the ranks of "bloat-blokes" and telemetry-gatherers?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  Ben Franklin revisited.

Edited 26 December 2019 2:34 PM by Roland Stoller
Corona
Corona
New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)
why would Macrium join the ranks of "bloat-blokes" and telemetry-gatherers?

Hey, like, everyone was doing it...so there!

Roland Stoller
Roland Stoller
Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)Junior Member (99 reputation)
Corona, you made me smile! Smile

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  Ben Franklin revisited.

Octopuss
Octopuss
New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)
There is telemetry in the program?

Danskeman
Danskeman
Talented Member
Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)
Telemetry is not the ****ing issue.  It is why a company does with telemetry that is the issue.

I have 100% faith ​that Paramount use telemetry for what it is designed for - to aid diagnostics.

Every since spyware total overhype of Windows 10, endless garbage has been spouted about telemetry, and guess what - your post joins the ranks of total clap-trap.​​​
Roland Stoller
Roland Stoller
Did you carefully read the opening?  You will notice that I quoted Yanta, and opened a discussion on what Yanta posted elsewhere, because I wanted to know the whole story.  Danskeman, your post helps a little, thanks.

Danskeman
Danskeman
Talented Member
Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)
Roland Stoller - 26 December 2019 10:20 AM
Did you carefully read the opening?  You will notice that I quoted Yanta, and opened a discussion on what Yanta posted elsewhere, because I wanted to know the whole story.  Danskeman, your post helps a little, thanks.

Since most people have no idea what or who Yanta is your opening is as clear as mud.  It looks like your opinions.  In the end my point still stands.  Reflect Team are honourable and any telemetry is surely beneficial to all users.

Roland Stoller
Roland Stoller
If you will revise some of your earlier wording, I will fully accept what you personally are saying.
I too believe any MR telemetry is worthwhile.

Roland Stoller
Roland Stoller
"There is telemetry in the program?" Octopuss
It appears that whatever MR telemetry exists is a good thing!  MR  rapidly makes improvements, corrections, etc.  MR responses with updates, with replies to questions / comments / suggestions, are  one of  the fastest and thorough compared to many other vendors.  Like another poster indicated, the purpose for the telemetry is important, and in MR's case -- it's all good!

backuper
backuper
Talented Member
Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)Talented Member (105 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Telemetry is not a bad thing if it really makes sense and done right.

But it must be easy to disable and it must be easy to understand what data is collected (so not reading 10 pages with vague information). I hate Windows 10 in this regard.

But I agree pretty much with Roland Stoller that it's not fine to do these things not 100% transparent for the user.

Not bloated (e.g.I don't need install features that you don't need or want, I love MR for this), fast, reliable are the most important things in a backup program for me.

I'm a bit alarmed! Is there any information about what Macrium Reflect does?

@RolandJS Please provide the original information too, it's difficult to put things into perspective otherwise.

Edited 11 January 2020 5:40 PM by backuper
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search