Add warning when users select "Image this partition only" for C drive

Author
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've seen this issue come to light in multiple threads here, which leads me to wonder how many Reflect users may have this problem without realizing there's a problem.

Problem: Some users seem to perform backups by selecting their C partition, clicking Actions, and selecting "Image this partition only".  On many systems -- including all systems that use UEFI booting, which has been the norm for PCs built for the last few years now -- an image containing only the C partition would be insufficient for regaining a bootable system when restoring onto an empty disk, at least without jumping through some manual partitioning and other command line hoops.  Needing to restore your backup onto an empty disk is a bad time to realize that your backup doesn't include everything it should have for your purposes.

Recommended Solution: When a user chooses to image only their C partition, or selects any set of partitions that includes the C partition but does NOT include ALL partitions that Reflect would have auto-selected if the user had clicked "Create a backup of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows", Reflect should pop up a warning dialog box.  It should say something like, "It appears you're trying to create a backup to allow Windows/system recovery, but your current partition selection does not include all partitions necessary to achieve this," and then there should be radio buttons below saying something like, "Include all partitions necessary to back up and restore Windows" or "Proceed with my current selection", perhaps with an additional checkbox to allow this warning to be permanently suppressed.

Edited 21 November 2019 4:00 PM by jphughan
Roland Stoller
Roland Stoller
Talented Member
Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)Talented Member (132 reputation)
"Create a backup of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows"
I second the motion!  I have MR7, just where is that statement in my several menu boxes?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  Ben Franklin revisited.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Under the Backup tab in the upper-left corner of the application interface Smile
splinetime
splinetime
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Just to add a clarification. I went in to edit the email notification of my drive C backup job. This triggered this specific warning. I have always backed up (imaged) the total number of partitions, "empty" or otherwise. So when this warning triggered it was confusing, as it did not take into account that I was already imaging the the entirety of the drive (all partitions)

This confused me, as I wondered what I was missing, as it did not account for the fact that I had all partitions already selected. Might be handy to have a small note added to clarify this.

Something like "this is only a precautionary reminder, if all partitions are selected, you may safely ignore this"

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search