Color Coding for Backups, etc.

Author
Corona
New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I think it'd be a lot easier glancing through tons of backup files and see which ones are related to each other by sharing the same colored font.

Pim
Pim
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)
I am not sure whether that would be a good idea. The UI would become too messy I think. If it were implemented it would have to be optional IMO. Also, colour coding can be difficult for people who are colour blind (like me). Too often f.i. web designers just do not think about colour blindness. This is also a reason that if your idea were implemented it would have to be optional.
Have you tried sorting the backups by file name? I think that would be the solution to your question.

Edited 19 November 2019 7:46 AM by Pim
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
I was about to suggest a collapsible, hierarchical view in order to visually show which backups were part of the same set, but that would be tricky to do because hierarchically you'd want the Full on top, then any child Inc/Diffs under it and slightly indented, and any child Incs of any Diffs indented and under those.  But the problem with that implementation is that the Restore tab defaults to showing the newest backups on top, and in most cases that will be a child backup of some sort.  I suppose in theory you could have a hierarchy that expands "upward" rather than downward, but that might be confusing to users given that every hierarchical interface I've seen in Windows and pretty much everywhere else has had the parent object at the top with the children listed underneath if you expand the parent.

Note that you can already filter the list of backups based on images that contain a certain drive if that helps.  And if you ever choose to delete a backup, you DO see a hierarchical view of the entire set if you want to delete other backups in the same set.

Edited 19 November 2019 2:05 PM by jphughan
Corona
Corona
New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)
Pim, it wouldn't be too messy if it were done cleanly, properly. But yes, it would have to be completely optional.
Anyway it was just a thought, I have no immediate need for such an idea.

Jphughan, I do like the option of flipping hierarchical views as you described them.

Edited 19 November 2019 2:20 PM by Corona
Drac144
Drac144
Guru
Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)Guru (1K reputation)
I think there would be an issue if one did both incremental and differential backups.  A differential would "override" older incrementals and newer incrementals would be dependent on the differential - yet that would make the older incrementals useable but also unneeded if one wanted to restore to a time AFTER a differential.  It could start to get very messy with both intermixed.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search