Boot Image incorrectly grayed out in Restore tab

Author
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have 4 Full backups captured from 4 different Windows installations that resided on 3 separate physical systems.  Out of those 4 backups, only one of them has the "Boot Image" option in Reflect's Restore tab available, while it's grayed out on the other 3 backups.  All backups have all required partitions to boot Windows.  Additionally, when I go directly to viBoot to create a new VM manually using any of the images for which "Boot Image" is grayed out in Reflect, they all boot just fine.  I can't figure out what's causing the incorrect and seemingly inconsistent behavior within Reflect.

I'm on Reflect 7.2.4473 with viBoot installed, running on Windows 10 1903 Pro with Hyper-V installed (along with Windows Sandbox, if that matters).  Happy to provide any additional info, screenshots, log files, etc. that might help determine underlying cause.

Edited 3 November 2019 1:53 AM by jphughan
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (5.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.2K reputation)
Group: Administrators
jphughan - 3 November 2019 1:26 AM
I have 4 Full backups captured from 4 different Windows installations that resided on 3 separate physical systems.  Out of those 4 backups, only one of them has the "Boot Image" option in Reflect's Restore tab available, while it's grayed out on the other 3 backups.  All backups have all required partitions to boot Windows.  Additionally, when I go directly to viBoot to create a new VM manually using any of the images for which "Boot Image" is grayed out in Reflect, they all boot just fine.  I can't figure out what's causing the incorrect and seemingly inconsistent behavior within Reflect.

I'm on Reflect 7.2.4473 with viBoot installed, running on Windows 10 1903 Pro with Hyper-V installed (along with Windows Sandbox, if that matters).  Happy to provide any additional info, screenshots, log files, etc. that might help determine underlying cause.

Thanks for the post,

Were the images created on the same system where you are attempting to run viBoot from Reflect?

Kind Regards

Nick

Macrium Support

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)
Hey Nick,

No they were not. The only image that has Boot Image available is an earlier image of my current system. One of the images that has this option grayed out was captured on my current system’s hardware but under a completely different Windows installation. I used Rescue Media to capture the factory build before I booted that system from internal storage for the first time, but then I wiped the system and reinstalled Windows from scratch with a different partition layout. But why would this option be grayed out for “foreign” images?
Edited 4 November 2019 1:50 PM by jphughan
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (5.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.2K reputation)
Group: Administrators
jphughan - 4 November 2019 1:49 PM
Hey Nick,

No they were not. The only image that has Boot Image available is an earlier image of my current system. One of the images that has this option grayed out was captured on my current system’s hardware but under a completely different Windows installation. I used Rescue Media to capture the factory build before I booted that system from internal storage for the first time, but then I wiped the system and reinstalled Windows from scratch with a different partition layout. But why would this option be grayed out for “foreign” images?

Thanks for getting back.

There shouldn't be a restriction, I'm just getting relevant information about your environment so we can understand why you are seeing this. It looks like there's an issue with determining if the image contains boot and system partitions for foreign disks. We'll get to the bottom of it and resolve. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Kind Regards

Nick

Macrium Support

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Thanks Nick, happy to help!  If it matters, I'm seeing this grayed out option behavior with both MBR and GPT disks.  Here are their layouts:

Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
Similar issue here.  I don't have Hyper-V installed on this particular computer, but it is my understanding that the Boot Image option shouldn't show grayed out but that if I try to use it I'll receive an error.  In my case the images are of all partitions and drives of my PC and are stored on a hard drive inside my PC.  All images, Incremental Deltas, Differentials and Fulls all show the Boot Image option grayed out.  I'm on v7.2.4523 and though I don't have Hyper-V installed, I do have viBoot installed.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
I didn't realize it was possible to install viBoot without Hyper-V.  I thought the viBoot component option in the Reflect installer was grayed out if Hyper-V wasn't installed.  Or did you uninstall Hyper-V after installing viBoot?

Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
I probably uninstalled Hyper-V after installing viBoot, but am unsure - that was a long time ago.  I haven't used viBoot because I have VMware Workstation installed VMware still hasn't hammered out being about to have Workstation and Hyper-V working at the same time.  (I recently read they are making progress on this however.)

I do believe that the Boot Image option within Reflect didn't used to be grayed out for me though.  But I'm not sure when it started appearing as gray - I only noticed it after upgrading to 4523, but it could have happened sooner and I just didn't notice.

Update:
FWIW, if i try to start viBoot (since Hyper-V isn't installed) I do get the same error you're supposed to see when trying to use the Boot Image option when Hyper-V isn't installed - "viBoot could not detect a running instance of the virtual Machine Management Services.  Macrium viBoot requires Hyper-V version 6.03 or later."  Of course, this error is expected.
Edited 8 November 2019 7:35 PM by Gork
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok, good to know.  Fyi though if you need to have both hypervisors available, one option is to create a duplicate Windows boot menu option with a parameter change that has it start Windows without Hyper-V running.  You can even make that the default if you want.  That way you can have both Hyper-V and VMware installed at the same time, but you can choose which hypervisor you actually want active at any given time by choosing the desired boot menu option  The only catch is that you have to reboot when you want to switch hypervisors.  I have this setup on my work system.

Edited 8 November 2019 7:36 PM by jphughan
Gork
Gork
Guru
Thanks. I'm aware of that option but didn't want to bother with it. I've kind of been waiting and hoping for Macrium to add VMware image capability to viBoot - they said long ago they were looking into that option. But for now I just hobble along without viBoot. I look forward to building a new PC with a CPU new enough to actually USE the latest version of Workstation I already purchased, and with it looking like being able to run this version with Hyper-V installed is just around the corner it could be a great solution for me. Just an issue of getting my finances in order again after some pretty big life changes. My 10 year old OC just isn't cutting it anymore! My laptop does better. :/
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search