Edit backup comments

Author
Pim
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I would like to be able to edit comments in backups I have already made, f.i. to add a comment or to change it. Sometimes after having made the backup I realise that I want to add to or clarify a comment. In other cases I just forgot to add a comment, which is sometimes caused by accidentally clicking one of the options Full, Differential of Incremental instead of Prompt.

This wish has been posted before for version 6 or in the feature section of v7. In order to add it to the wish list for v7 and connect identical wishes in other sections, I am posting it here.
dbminter
dbminter
Master
Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)
I, too, have made this request, so I'll +1 this one.  Drive Image used to provide a utility for editing backup images where you could change the existing comments of an image.  (You could also take an image and split it up into various parts with the tool.)

core
core
New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)
+1 on this feature.  It would be helpful to annotate, tag, markup an existing backup just before doing a major OS update or other SW install.  Then days or weeks later we would be able to know which backup to roll back to.

"It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him." -J.R.R. Tolkien
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
core - 29 June 2020 3:18 AM
+1 on this feature.  It would be helpful to annotate, tag, markup an existing backup just before doing a major OS update or other SW install.  Then days or weeks later we would be able to know which backup to roll back to.

Just fyi, if you choose to make the backup right before a major installation for the specific purpose of having a backup from just before that event, then you can set the backup comment upfront at that point when you create that manual backup.  I do that myself.  Of course being able to add a comment retroactively would have additional value, but just letting you know.  The easiest way to do that is to right-click your definition file and select Run Now > Prompt.  In there you'll see a button to add a comment

dbminter
dbminter
Master
Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)
I do the same thing.  Before and after any software update, I take an Incremental and update the Comment to put in a note as to what I just updated.

Even back in the days of Drive Image in the middle 90's to the early 2000's, you couldn't edit comments on images.  What the makers of that software did was provide a tool for changing comments, but you had to save the image to an all new copy of the image file.

+1 on this suggestion for myself.  Don't know how easy, if even possible, it would be to edit an existing image, though.  That may be why PowerQuest never implemented such a direct editing feature in Drive Image.

Edited 2 July 2020 4:40 PM by dbminter
core
core
New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)
jphughan - 29 June 2020 5:00 AM

Just fyi, if you choose to make the backup right before a major installation for the specific purpose of having a backup from just before that event, then you can set the backup comment upfront at that point when you create that manual backup.  I do that myself.  Of course being able to add a comment retroactively would have additional value, but just letting you know.  The easiest way to do that is to right-click your definition file and select Run Now > Prompt.  In there you'll see a button to add a comment

Ah, I see.  Thanks.

"It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him." -J.R.R. Tolkien
Humpty_Numpty
Humpty_Numpty
Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)

The easiest way to do that is to right-click your definition file and select Run Now > Prompt.  In there you'll see a button to add a comment

​But does that action NOT create a further backup? 

​​I'd certainly like to be able to add a comment to the backup definition files preferrably by using Windows Explorer.

Thanks​​

Butt Spell Chequers Two Khan Make Awe Full Miss Steaks
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
Humpty_Numpty - 2 July 2020 4:06 PM

The easiest way to do that is to right-click your definition file and select Run Now > Prompt.  In there you'll see a button to add a comment

But does that action NOT create a further backup? 

I'd certainly like to be able to add a comment to the backup definition files preferrably by using Windows Explorer.

Thanks

Yes, what I described will add a comment to a new backup that Reflect will create on the spot.  I mentioned it because Core, the person I addressed that post to, said it would be nice to be able to add a comment to backups created just before a major OS update.  So I was just pointing out that if you're already planning to create a "special purpose" backup, then it IS possible to add a comment at that point, using the mechanism I described.  But I also pointed out that that does NOT cover the broader request here of being able to add comments to existing backups after the fact.

Humpty_Numpty
Humpty_Numpty
Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)
jphughan - 2 July 2020 6:09 PM
Humpty_Numpty - 2 July 2020 4:06 PM

But does that action NOT create a further backup? 

I'd certainly like to be able to add a comment to the backup definition files preferrably by using Windows Explorer.

Thanks

Yes, what I described will add a comment to a new backup that Reflect will create on the spot.  I mentioned it because Core, the person I addressed that post to, said it would be nice to be able to add a comment to backups created just before a major OS update.  So I was just pointing out that if you're already planning to create a "special purpose" backup, then it IS possible to add a comment at that point, using the mechanism I described.  But I also pointed out that that does NOT cover the broader request here of being able to add comments to existing backups after the fact.

Yes, Thanks for the clarification.

Butt Spell Chequers Two Khan Make Awe Full Miss Steaks
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search