Macrium Reflect v8

Author
max2
Talented Member
Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)Talented Member (187 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Do you all know when v8 will be out ? Hope not until next year.

dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Macrium doesn't give any kind of roadmaps, as far as I know, for future releases.

And, considering a 7 branch update was just recently released (though pulled) and will be reissued when it's ready for prime time again, I would doubt that a totally new revision cycle would be released this year.

While this is a generalization, what I've tended to notice is if there are no new updates in 3 months or longer, Macrium is working on a 10th decimal release of Reflect or an entirely new version release.  So, I would say there wouldn't be a version 8 for at least 3 months.  Which would probably be on a time table that no version 8 would released until next year.  If then.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
I haven't seen any information about Reflect V8 at all.  According to their respective release notes pages, V6 was released in February 2015 and V7 was released in February 2017, but that obviously doesn't predict when V8 will be released because 2 years after V7's release would have been February of this year.

Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (989 reputation)Expert (989 reputation)Expert (989 reputation)Expert (989 reputation)Expert (989 reputation)Expert (989 reputation)Expert (989 reputation)Expert (989 reputation)Expert (989 reputation)Expert (989 reputation)
If you are going to do that kind of math, it might be more accurate to start from when there was a stable, bug free release of version 7.  Which I think was 6-8  months after the first iteration.  That would put us into the September/October time frame based on that 2 year cycle.  Considering Macrium needs steady income,  The schedule for new releases should not vary much over time. 
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
^ Given that all of the many editions of Reflect except Home offer support contracts that are both paid and renewable, and some licenses are subscription-based even for Reflect itself rather than just for the support, I don’t think Macrium’s revenue necessarily gets choked off without a new major release. But I have no idea how their revenue is divided between subscriptions vs. perpetual license purchases.
Edited 25 August 2019 1:27 AM by jphughan
Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (989 reputation)Expert (989 reputation)Expert (989 reputation)Expert (989 reputation)Expert (989 reputation)Expert (989 reputation)Expert (989 reputation)Expert (989 reputation)Expert (989 reputation)Expert (989 reputation)
On the other hand, if there WAS a new release imminent, there would be beta testing needed.  And you would be a very likely candidate to participate.  So, I suspect you would know whether a new release was close to being ready.  Of course beta testers would likely be covered by an DNA so you could not provide an answer.
dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
I guess an NDA depends on the company.  I've been beta testing a piece of software for almost 15 years now and haven't been restricted in commenting on it.  However, that was a piece of software made by 1 person, not a company.  And, just for the sake of the privacy of the developer, I don't comment on betas without getting his permission to do so.

Drac144
Drac144
Expert
So a new release MAY be coming soon - only a select few outside Macrium may know. 

I don't think I use any features from Version 6.  Well, I have them enabled - they just don't come into play.  I guess if I was infected with ransomware I would be happy about MIG.  So, I am not sure that V8 will bring anything I need.  The last improvement that had a significant positive effect on my use of Reflect was RDR.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Enhanced BitLocker support is nice, such as BitLocker Live Restore and BitLocker Live Clone -- which is basically RDR/RDC available for BitLocker partitions.  And although this isn't something you should normally need, I appreciate 7.2's addition of a "Completed with warnings" job outcome rather than just the success/failure possibilities of earlier releases.  That can be used as an early warning of a problem that has to be dealt with, such as a failing disk, an incomplete backup set, VSS problems, etc.

dbminter
dbminter
I don't see what else could be added to Version 8 that would make me want it, either.  They might add the intended Reflect scheduler service to Version 8, which would make me upgrade to it.  But, then again, until they list what Version 8 has going for it, it's not really possible to speculate what might or might not be added to the software that might make any individual update to it.  Again, depends on what they roll up into the new version.

Version 7 did offer the CBT which made me want it.  I think CBT was added to Version 7, at least.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search