Not really Reflect related but I will ask anyway

Author
QT-Pro
Junior Member (96 reputation)Junior Member (96 reputation)Junior Member (96 reputation)Junior Member (96 reputation)Junior Member (96 reputation)Junior Member (96 reputation)Junior Member (96 reputation)Junior Member (96 reputation)Junior Member (96 reputation)Junior Member (96 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Please excuse this rather off-subject question.
My Alienware keeps downloading and installing a Killer WiFi driver update that immediately makes my internet connection unstable, read almost unusable. So far, I have used Reflect to restore the system to the way it was prior to the update but every day, Dell's Support Assist application runs automatically and re-installs the offending driver update.

Today, I discovered I can simply open Device Manager, find the driver, open its properties and rollback to the previous version. Nonetheless, it is becoming very annoying. Does anyone have an idea how I can block this particular update until Killer release a better version, please?

I had considered stopping Support Assist from running but if I do that I won't get any of the other updates that Dell roll out, and I wouldn't get the next Killer update, so that's not really a solution.

dbminter
dbminter
Master
Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)
You say it's not the solution you desire, but what I do is always uninstall Dell Support Assist from my new Dell setups.  It does too many things like you describe, or constantly finds new updates that are already applied.  So, what I did was uninstall it with Add/Remove and just went by Dell.com's page of updates for my particular system.  You can download an application from the site that determines your Dell System Tag, if you don't know what it is.  The update site then only looks for new updates based on your system tag.  You can sort the list of updates by date so you can find out what's been added most recently.

With Dell Support Assist/Dell Update also failing to find updates that ARE available for my systems, I stopped using both applications and just check the web page on Day 2 of every month for new updates.

You can try finding updates here if inclined: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19

Since as you say this isn't really Reflect related, next time you could try posting in the Water Cooler section of the forums.  It's located right at the very bottom of the forum main page, right after Version 6 queries.

Edited 15 June 2019 10:38 PM by dbminter
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
I don’t use Dell Update or Dell SupportAssist on my own PCs, but I seem to remember a way to hide or disable specific updates in at least one of those apps from having used them on other people’s PCs. But like DB, on my own PC I prefer manual downloads from support.dell.com — despite the annoying fact that you have to look through updates that might not apply to your system because if you enter your Service Tag rather than just selecting your system model, some updates that DO apply to your system might not be shown. But I also understand that most people would prefer to have an application proactively check for updates applicable to their PC and notify them when those updates are available.

One other thing you could potentially try would be getting drivers directly from Killer. They would likely be newer, so they shouldn’t get overwritten by the version Dell is providing, and the newer drivers might have fixed whatever is causing this problem on the version that keeps trying to install on your PC.
Edited 15 June 2019 10:42 PM by jphughan
dbminter
dbminter
Master
Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)
Oh, JP is right.  I forgot to mention that when searching by Service Tag, sometimes you get updates that are missed.  However, I've found that the extemporaneous updates I have to wade through are outweighed by my having missed just one update that I didn't find under my Service Tag.  So, I periodically uncheck the box for my Service Tag to do manual scanning of the list of updates.

JP is also right in I believe I, too, have used Dell Update to ignore updates in the past.  However, my memory was that setting was transitory.  Like it only applied to your current login session.  When you restarted, it would be displayed again.  Another reason why I disabled Dell Update.  But, maybe I'm incorrectly remembering things.

QT-Pro
QT-Pro
Junior Member (96 reputation)Junior Member (96 reputation)Junior Member (96 reputation)Junior Member (96 reputation)Junior Member (96 reputation)Junior Member (96 reputation)Junior Member (96 reputation)Junior Member (96 reputation)Junior Member (96 reputation)Junior Member (96 reputation)
Thanks very much for your replies guys.
I hadn't noticed the Water Cooler forum because I didn't scroll past Reflect version 6, which I suppose is to be expected, if one has version 7. I take note of that and will use it in future should the necessity arise.

Having been a Dell and Alienware owner for the last 31 years, I am all too familiar with Dell's habit of providing very old updates or failing to support updates, period! Indeed, I went insane with my previous Alienware M17x R2, purchased in March 2011, because the last updated drivers etc. dated 2010, and when I spoke to Dell support about it they simply replied that Dell had a policy of dropping software support for any machine 3 years after its initial release. They also insisted that users only download driver updates from Dell, never from the driver supplier. This appears to have changed slightly since as they now tell me I can update my Nvidia drivers automatically as soon as the PC alerts me to a new version.

JP's suggestion to go straight to Killer's site seemed the best option to me as I felt sure I was unlikely to be the only person affected. How right I was! Even more enlightening was the fact that the latest driver update being shoved onto my machine by Dell is the faulty driver that Killer released 6 months ago (v2.0.1170). The current version, which they claim has been fixed, is v2.1.2907.

As to uninstalling Support Assist, as an Alienware owner with Dell's Premium 3 year Support package, I am expected to use Support Assist to interface with Dell technical support. Indeed, they use it to run diagnostics on my machine. However, there was a time last year when a faulty version of Support Assist bricked the download function for all their customers. Dell placed the blame on all their clients for almost 6 months before finally admitting there was an error in the code and releasing a newer version. During that time, they still provided manual support by telephone and their web site. So, I will ask them if I can remove it.

dbminter
dbminter
Master
The latest Killer driver for my Ethernet was version 2.0.1167, A12 which I just updated to yesterday.  So, I'll keep an eye out on the next version.  Of course, I always perform an Incremental before applying any Dell updates, so I'll be set, just in case.

What you may be able to do is uninstall Dell Support Assist and whenever you need it, you can download the latest version from the Dell updates site and reinstall it.

QT-Pro
QT-Pro
You might want to look at the latest Killer Suite v2.1.1295, DB. I'm assuming you got v2.0.1167 from Dell because that's the same I got on May 29th but according to Killer's site, it certainly isn't the latest which doesn't surprise me in the slightest given Dell's track record.

Your Support Assist idea seems good. As it also optimizes SSD trim, if I remove it, will Windows take over that task automatically?

dbminter
dbminter
Master
What's weird is the last Killer Ethernet driver update for Dell XPS 8930 wasn't released until June 2nd at the earliest because June 2nd was the scheduled date for me to check for Dell updates, which I did check on that date.

If Windows doesn't take over the automatic defragmentation of the SSD, I believe you can set up a schedule manually in the Change Settings at the bottom of the Disk Defrag window.  Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if Dell Support Assist just passes parameters to Disk Defrag for setting up a schedule like that.  Sort of like how Reflect passes parameters to set up backup schedules to Task Scheduler.  In fact, I believe the Disk Defrag schedule IS a task it creates in Task Scheduler.  Most schedules in Windows are handled by Task Scheduler, after all.  So, Dell Support Assist is, most likely, just creating a Task Scheduler task to run Disk Defrag.  I doubt DSA is doing any of its own actual work in the defragmentation department.

Edited 16 June 2019 4:47 PM by dbminter
QT-Pro
QT-Pro
There used to be an excellent PC maintenance tool called "PC Doctor". Dell bought them out and rebranded the product Support Assist. Of course, when they purchased the company, Windows 10 didn't even exist. I'm not even sure that SSD's were widespread in those days. So, lord know what's under the hood now?

dbminter
dbminter
Master
I remember PC Doctor being installed on my earlier Dell's; uninstalled it, too.  Smile  It kept doing something over and over again when it shouldn't have been; I forget what.  So, I just uninstalled it.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search