Keeping Macrium Service startup as manual

Author
danielocdh
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Any way to keep Macrium Service startup as manual?
I use macrium mostly for manual backups twice a month, the service is set to automatic by itself when I open macrium.

Thanks.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
The Macrium Service isn't used for scheduled backups even if you're using those.  Reflect uses Windows Task Scheduler for that purpose.  That said, I'm not sure that the Macrium Service actually does, either.  Looking at the Description field that often tells you what a service does and the impact of disabling it, for the Macrium Service it just says "Macrium Service", unfortunately.

dcloud
dcloud
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
danielocdh - 31 May 2019 5:06 PM
Any way to keep Macrium Service startup as manual?
I use macrium mostly for manual backups twice a month, the service is set to automatic by itself when I open macrium.

Thanks.

Although I have Macrium start-up set to "disabled" in Services, every time I use it it appears in my Processes list in Windows Task Manager. I then have to go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services and actively stop the program. I then go to Windows Task Manager and click "end process". (I have also stopped it from auto-starting with Revo Uninstaller but the next time I use it the settings will change back.) It seems to be one of those programs that decides it knows better than you what the settings should be.

danielocdh
danielocdh
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
I remember the service was needed for mounting virtual drives (a few months ago), I'm not sure if it is needed for backups, I really wouldn't have any problem if it was, I just don't want to run it when I'm not using anything related to macrium, that's why I want to be able to set it to manual.

I already have to deal with acrobat install (have to remove 1 file and 20 registry entries every time I update it) and the most recent version of nvidia drivers integrated its telemetry service inside their main service.
I just don't want reflect being one of "those" programs now that I finally bought it (specially considering it is expensive AF).
Edited 2 June 2019 8:57 PM by danielocdh
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
danielocdh - 2 June 2019 8:56 PM
I remember the service was needed for mounting virtual drives (a few months ago), I'm not sure if it is needed for backups, I really wouldn't have any problem if it was, I just don't want to run it when I'm not using anything related to macrium, that's why I want to be able to set it to manual.

I already have to deal with acrobat install (have to remove 1 file and 20 registry entries every time I update it) and the most recent version of nvidia drivers integrated its telemetry service inside their main service.
I just don't want reflect being one of "those" programs now that I finally bought it (specially considering it is expensive AF).

"Expense AF"?  I'm not sure which version you bought or what currency your location uses, but in the US, the Home version is $70 for a single license or $140 for a 4-pack.  Neither of those sounds remotely expensive to me even if all Reflect did was save you the time of performing a manual rebuild of your OS after an incident ONCE, never mind a situation where it might actually keep you from losing some or all of your personaldata.  And whereas other companies are increasingly forcing consumers into subscription options where you pay forever (Office 365, Acrobat, Creative Cloud, etc.), Macrium is still selling perpetual licenses, and they just updated the old Reflect V6 to support Windows 10 1903 over a year after V6's official end-of-support period, rather than deciding to be one of "those" companies that tells people that it was a Microsoft change that broke Reflect and that affected customers can therefore pay for an upgrade to a supported version of Reflect if they want to continue using it. I guess the value of money and whether something is "worth it" always varies from person to person, but I don't think it takes too much saved time or data to justify $35-70 per PC for a home license.  Of course the Server version is quite a bit more expensive, but in general they'll also be storing much more valuable data and the value of any time saved would typically include that of multiple employees that rely on that server being up.

Edited 2 June 2019 11:32 PM by jphughan
danielocdh
danielocdh
jphughan - 2 June 2019 11:28 PM

"Expense AF"?  I'm not sure which version you bought or what currency your location uses, but in the US, the Home version is $70 for a single license or $140 for a 4-pack.  Neither of those sounds remotely expensive to me even if all Reflect did was save you having to perform a manual rebuild of your OS after an incident ONCE, never mind a situation where it might actually keep you from losing some or all of your data.  And whereas companies are increasingly pushing you to subscription options where you pay forever (see Office 365, Acrobat, Adobe Creative Cloud, etc.), Macrium is still selling perpetual licenses, and they just updated the old Reflect V6 to support Windows 10 1903 over a year after V6's official end-of-support period.  I guess the value of money and whether something is "worth it" always varies from person to person, but I don't think it takes too much saved time or data to justify $35-70 per PC for a home license.  Of course the Server version is quite a bit more expensive, but in general they'll also be storing much more valuable data and the value of any time saved would typically include that of multiple employees that rely on that server being up.

Maybe I'm relatively just too poor ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Wish I was born on the u.s. or some other rich country.
Danskeman
Danskeman
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (271 reputation)Proficient Member (271 reputation)Proficient Member (271 reputation)Proficient Member (271 reputation)Proficient Member (271 reputation)Proficient Member (271 reputation)Proficient Member (271 reputation)Proficient Member (271 reputation)Proficient Member (271 reputation)Proficient Member (271 reputation)
danielocdh - 2 June 2019 11:31 PM
jphughan - 2 June 2019 11:28 PM

"Expense AF"?  I'm not sure which version you bought or what currency your location uses, but in the US, the Home version is $70 for a single license or $140 for a 4-pack.  Neither of those sounds remotely expensive to me even if all Reflect did was save you having to perform a manual rebuild of your OS after an incident ONCE, never mind a situation where it might actually keep you from losing some or all of your data.  And whereas companies are increasingly pushing you to subscription options where you pay forever (see Office 365, Acrobat, Adobe Creative Cloud, etc.), Macrium is still selling perpetual licenses, and they just updated the old Reflect V6 to support Windows 10 1903 over a year after V6's official end-of-support period.  I guess the value of money and whether something is "worth it" always varies from person to person, but I don't think it takes too much saved time or data to justify $35-70 per PC for a home license.  Of course the Server version is quite a bit more expensive, but in general they'll also be storing much more valuable data and the value of any time saved would typically include that of multiple employees that rely on that server being up.

Maybe I'm relatively just too poor ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Wish I was born on the u.s. or some other rich country.

Well, the free version is adequate for most users and JUST AS WELL SUPPORTED.​
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search