Disconnected Clients with V7.2.4290

Author
Morris
Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm seeing these symptoms on multiple clients.  They are all running the latest agent 7.2.4290 and can establish connections to the site manager server.  Sometimes I find them listed as not connected for long periods of time hours or even days.  

I've found two scenarios: 
1- Looking on the reflect server via netstat -a there is a TCP connection established on TCP/51515
2- No connection
If i restart the Macrium Agent Service on the client, the connection immediately establishes and backups run start.  I've seen this behaviour after a restart yet more commonly after the client is woken from sleep.  For the case with problem happening after startup, I've changed the Macrium Agent Service from Automatic to Automatic Delayed in case the agent is coming up faster than the network connection.  I can't say if this has helped in the startup scenario.  I have no workaround for the wake from sleep scenario.  

Suggestions?

Thank you,
Morris
Morris
Morris
Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)
A bit more information.  Again on of the clients that woke from sleep remained disconnected.  I ran the agent configuration tool and clicked test.  Communication was successful.  The client continued to show disconnected on the server console.  At the time the backup should have run it did not start.  I went to the client and ran the test from the agent configuration tool.  Again successful communication with the server.  Next I launched the agent and moments later the backup started.  
Stewart Ives
Stewart Ives
New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)
I don't know if this applies but I've noticed an increase of the time between a PC booting up and the point where the network is responding. This started about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Yes, I do have reflect on this PC and I did update to the latest release but I don't remember exactly when this occurred to the it to any update.

This could be Microsoft, Reflect, or the anything.

Just my 2 cents.

-stew
Morris
Morris
Stewart Ives - 20 May 2019 11:03 PM
I don't know if this applies but I've noticed an increase of the time between a PC booting up and the point where the network is responding. This started about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Yes, I do have reflect on this PC and I did update to the latest release but I don't remember exactly when this occurred to the it to any update.

Just my 2 cents.

-stew

Thank you Stew,

I believe you are correct about the network taking longer to come online.  That is why I added the delay for the Agent Service on startup.  There is nothing that I can do when the computer wakes and there is a delay there as well.  I don't know if this is the cause,  It is clear to me that the agent service stops talking to the server and needs something to kick it.  I'm going to experiment with starting the agent with a timer till the developers work this out.  I'd be surprised if I'm the only one having this issue.

Morris
Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Morris - 20 May 2019 11:12 PM

Just my 2 cents.

-stew

Thank you Stew,

I believe you are correct about the network taking longer to come online.  That is why I added the delay for the Agent Service on startup.  There is nothing that I can do when the computer wakes and there is a delay there as well.  I don't know if this is the cause,  It is clear to me that the agent service stops talking to the server and needs something to kick it.  I'm going to experiment with starting the agent with a timer till the developers work this out.  I'd be surprised if I'm the only one having this issue.

Morris

Hi Morris,

Sorry you're having issues with the new Site Manager communications - I've passed your comments on to the development team to see if we can deploy some fixes. 

At the moment, the Agent initiates the Site Manager connection, so if it has an open TCP socket, it will not attempt connection, even if that socket is not valid. I'd have assumed that Windows would close any open sockets when a computer went to sleep, but clearly that isn't happening. For cases where the Agent doesn't have an open socket, there may be some useful information in C:\ProgramData\Macrium\SiteManager\AgentConnection.log on the agent computer

Regards,
Alex Stevenson

Kind Regards,

Alex

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

Morris
Morris
Alex - 22 May 2019 8:52 AM

Just my 2 cents.

-stew

Thank you Stew,

Morris

Hi Morris,

Sorry you're having issues with the new Site Manager communications - I've passed your comments on to the development team to see if we can deploy some fixes. 

At the moment, the Agent initiates the Site Manager connection, so if it has an open TCP socket, it will not attempt connection, even if that socket is not valid. I'd have assumed that Windows would close any open sockets when a computer went to sleep, but clearly that isn't happening. For cases where the Agent doesn't have an open socket, there may be some useful information in C:\ProgramData\Macrium\SiteManager\AgentConnection.log on the agent computer

Regards,
Alex Stevenson

Thank you Alex,

I've now seen the server report report a workstation disconnected while the computer was awak.  This was after a successful backup.  I'll grab the log and all pertinent data and post.  To me it feels like the agent needs to do periodic connection tests.

Morris
Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)
Morris - 22 May 2019 11:56 AM
Alex - 22 May 2019 8:52 AM

Just my 2 cents.

-stew

Thank you Stew,

Morris

Hi Morris,

Regards,
Alex Stevenson

Thank you Alex,

I've now seen the server report report a workstation disconnected while the computer was awak.  This was after a successful backup.  I'll grab the log and all pertinent data and post.  To me it feels like the agent needs to do periodic connection tests.

Morris

Hi Morris,

Thanks for looking into it. We're currently preparing a build which improves how we do periodic connection checking - if you haven't created a support ticket already, it would be a good idea to create one so that our support team can get you this build when it's ready. 

Regards.
Alex

Kind Regards,

Alex

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

charles.steiger
charles.steiger
New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)
I was just about to update MSM from 7.2.4091 to 7.2.4290 this morning, but I decided it was worth a check here to see if anyone had reported issues.

That being said, I am holding off on updating, I have subscribed to this thread, and I am looking forward to updates. Wink

Nevermind, I just discovered that the communication protocol was changed as of 7.2.4276. Smile
In the meantime, is there a way that I can update to 7.2.4279, which is the release just prior to 7.2.4290? I like the idea of having the option to disable automatic Agent updating before updating to MSM 7.2.4290. Then, I can upgrade to the 7.2.4290 Agent on a single managed host, test the new communications protocols, backups, etc., and if it does not work as expected, just roll the MSM server and single managed host back to the previous version without impacting the other managed hosts.

Thanks in advance!

Edited 31 May 2019 11:11 AM by cesthree
Morris
Morris
cesthree - 31 May 2019 11:04 AM
I was just about to update MSM from 7.2.4091 to 7.2.4290 this morning, but I decided it was worth a check here to see if anyone had reported issues.

That being said, I am holding off on updating, I have subscribed to this thread, and I am looking forward to updates. Wink

Nevermind, I just discovered that the communication protocol was changed as of 7.2.4276. Smile
In the meantime, is there a way that I can update to 7.2.4279, which is the release just prior to 7.2.4290? I like the idea of having the option to disable automatic Agent updating before updating to MSM 7.2.4290. Then, I can upgrade to the 7.2.4290 Agent on a single managed host, test the new communications protocols, backups, etc., and if it does not work as expected, just roll the MSM server and single managed host back to the previous version without impacting the other managed hosts.

Thanks in advance!

I've been testing new code for 1/2 day and so far it looks like the issue is resolved.  The situation is definitely better.  Holding off was a good idea.
Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Morris - 31 May 2019 12:53 PM
cesthree - 31 May 2019 11:04 AM

Thanks in advance!

I've been testing new code for 1/2 day and so far it looks like the issue is resolved.  The situation is definitely better.  Holding off was a good idea.

That's good news so far! Our current plan is that we've provided a few customers affected with the new fix build (7.2.4314) and if that fixes the issues, we'll do a full release to all customers early next week.

Regards,
Alex

Kind Regards,

Alex

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...