MSM + MM big picture?

Author
VegasTech
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello, I'm a little fuzzy on the big picture of Macrium Site Manager and Macrium Multisite.

My current use scenario is I back client's Windows servers to a local NAS (FreeNAS specifically) at their site but would like to provide offsite storage to my clients. Some backup instances may be Azure/Backblaze/S3 while others may get backed up to our tech office NAS.

* MSM is the entire local site and those sites feed to MM for an all-sites view, correct?
* the website Macrium provides for MM is nice, can that be hosted locally? or are there any plans to release it for local install?
-- my main issue (confusion?) is do I really have to store all my clients username and passwords in a site that I don't control? If I submit/create jobs at MM then I need to enter the Destination/Repository credentials, correct?
-- can/does MM support just a push of the job/log details from our sites that use MSM? Granted, this also defeats the point of a single pane to manage all sites/clients.
-- any roadmap as to removing the firewall porting?
* what are the long term plans for MM?
-- get rid of MSM completely and just have agents on the servers/PCs?
-- any chance to set (sub) rights+users? if my client AcmeCo wants to check their backups can they log in to my top level site and only see AcmeCo and not BubbaCo's backups?
* instead of MM are there any plans to integrate with any of the other big names in RMM, like Kaseya, NinjaRMM, Zabbix/Nagios, etc. I believe I can have the Zabbix agent monitor the Windows Event Application Log for Macrium entries but the Macrium job/logs have much more detail.

Stewart Ives
Stewart Ives
New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)
VegasTech, interesting bunch of questions. I look forward to reading responses to them.

As to your mention of using a local NAS (FreeNAS) I opted to use a WD NAS device. Depending on the size of the storage space needed, I either put in a 2 drive NAS or a 4 drive NAS at a site. I do something interesting with the 2 and 4 drive NAS's, I only put 1 drive of the 2 drive NAS's or 2 drives of the 4 drive NAS's on the network to backup to. The 2nd drive or drive 3 &4 drive is used as a backup to the 1st or 1st and 2nd drive using the internal NAS software to provide the daily backup of drive 1 to drive 2 or drive 1 & 2 to drive 3&4. With this setup the local user can down the NAS, replace the backup drive, and power up the NAS. They can then take the backup drive off site.

Another benefit of using a NAS device is the ability of one NAS to back itself up to a remote NAS either on the local network -or- out on the internet somewhere. You might want to look into this.

As to your question about firewall porting, I recently asked for an update and yes, it is almost complete and I suspect it will be in the next release. Yes, I agree this is a concern for the efficient operation of MultiSite.

-stew

VegasTech
VegasTech
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
[quote]
Stewart Ives - 16 May 2019 4:27 AM

Another benefit of using a NAS device is the ability of one NAS to back itself up to a remote NAS either on the local network -or- out on the internet somewhere. You might want to look into this.

Yeah, I was looking at pulling via rsync across the VPN between their office and VegasTech offices. My rsync knowledge has some holes though. My concern is ransomware attacks, if the source is corrupted/ransomed and then sync'd to me I need to make sure I can step back to prior version(s). Yes, I could make a script to tar/backup the nightly rsync on the destination to an additional location but then I'm holding numerous backups of the same data. My hope would be to use Reflect to send just deltas to the remote server so it reduces my storage space (or Azure/S3 costs).

My goal is to try to find a solution that addresses at least 90% of our clients (there will always be one-offs, sigh). Most of the backup services I've seen are essentially get money from my client and hand it off to the backup service. I'm looking to make some money from my efforts, I have techs to pay.

Cheers!

Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)
Group: Moderators
VegasTech - 15 May 2019 9:09 PM
Hello, I'm a little fuzzy on the big picture of Macrium Site Manager and Macrium Multisite.

My current use scenario is I back client's Windows servers to a local NAS (FreeNAS specifically) at their site but would like to provide offsite storage to my clients. Some backup instances may be Azure/Backblaze/S3 while others may get backed up to our tech office NAS.

* MSM is the entire local site and those sites feed to MM for an all-sites view, correct?
* the website Macrium provides for MM is nice, can that be hosted locally? or are there any plans to release it for local install?
-- my main issue (confusion?) is do I really have to store all my clients username and passwords in a site that I don't control? If I submit/create jobs at MM then I need to enter the Destination/Repository credentials, correct?
-- can/does MM support just a push of the job/log details from our sites that use MSM? Granted, this also defeats the point of a single pane to manage all sites/clients.
-- any roadmap as to removing the firewall porting?
* what are the long term plans for MM?
-- get rid of MSM completely and just have agents on the servers/PCs?
-- any chance to set (sub) rights+users? if my client AcmeCo wants to check their backups can they log in to my top level site and only see AcmeCo and not BubbaCo's backups?
* instead of MM are there any plans to integrate with any of the other big names in RMM, like Kaseya, NinjaRMM, Zabbix/Nagios, etc. I believe I can have the Zabbix agent monitor the Windows Event Application Log for Macrium entries but the Macrium job/logs have much more detail.

Hi,

Just to clarify, MultiSite aggregates and coordinates the data from the Site Manager installations connected to it. It stores a cached set of backup stats, and some backup log data, but it does not store any passwords or authentication details from each Site Manager - these remain on the Site Manager installations. When you use the Remote View feature to configure Site Manager in MultiSite, MultiSite is just proxying/relaying the data between the Site Manager and the browser, it does not keep any information such as share authentication details etc in the cloud servers at all. 

The firewall port redirection will be in the next release of Site Manager, this is going through testing and QA now, so it shouldn't be too long before it's released. At the moment, our future plans for MultiSite include adding some license management/reporting tools and improving the multi-login scenario so that your use case where you can create a limited user who can only see one site is possible.
There are currently no plans to remove the local Site Manager from the solution, as this would cause some issues if a client site loses internet connectivity.

We are open to integrating Site Manager into more RMM portals, but as you have listed, there are quite a lot! We'd be happy to gather any feedback on the sorts of data you'd want in these portals and which ones you use to help guide our plans in that area.

Regards,
Alex

Kind Regards,

Alex

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...