W10 can't see macrium xml file and won't run backup

Author
Jim
New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When I try to run a folder backup it fails because W10 can't find my mybackup.xml  That file actually exists but when I click on it I get a message saying it is not associated with any app and  I should go to the App association area and associate the xml file with the app.  Unfortunately, Macrium is not listed anywhere as an app.  All this occurred after upgrading to version 7.  I am very frustrated.  Please help.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Sounds like you have a scheduled task that can’t find it. Launch Reflect, go to the Scheduled Backups tab, and delete any existing schedule entries. Then go to the Backup Definition Files tab and click the green plus icon to import your XML file. Then right-click the listing for that file that will appear in Reflect, select Schedule, and recreate your schedule, which will recreate new background scheduled tasks pointing to the XML file you imported.

XML files are not meant to be double-clicked in order to run something. They’re configuration files that can be opened in something like Notepad, not application files that can be executed or even shortcuts to application files. XML files are also used in relation to all sorts of applications, not just Reflect. If you want something you can double-click to run a manual backup, right-click the listing for your XML file in Reflect under the Backup Definition Files tab and click “Create Desktop Shortcut”.
Edited 20 April 2019 6:03 PM by jphughan
Jim
Jim
New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)
Thxs.   That worked, sort of.  I deleted the differential back up and followed the rest of your instructions. That left me with a separate weekly Full backup and a separate differential backup.  I guess I should have deleted the Full as well and recreated both.  What is puzzling is that my image back up of my C drive also disappeared. So now I have to recreate that as well.

I still don't know why this happened and how to prevent it.  I suspect that all these tasks will run once and then the same error will occur, i.e., W10 will not be able to find the xml files.  And I still can't get Macrium to show up as an App that I can link to the xml file.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

Jim
Jim
jphughan - 20 April 2019 5:59 PM
Sounds like you have a scheduled task that can’t find it. Launch Reflect, go to the Scheduled Backups tab, and delete any existing schedule entries. Then go to the Backup Definition Files tab and click the green plus icon to import your XML file. Then right-click the listing for that file that will appear in Reflect, select Schedule, and recreate your schedule, which will recreate new background scheduled tasks pointing to the XML file you imported.

XML files are not meant to be double-clicked in order to run something. They’re configuration files that can be opened in something like Notepad, not application files that can be executed or even shortcuts to application files. XML files are also used in relation to all sorts of applications, not just Reflect. If you want something you can double-click to run a manual backup, right-click the listing for your XML file in Reflect under the Backup Definition Files tab and click “Create Desktop Shortcut”.

I think I see why the xml file can't be found.  Apparently the file gets put into C:user/jim/download.  Files in that download folder are deleted after 30 days.  Is there a way to put the xml in another place and have Macrium find it?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
The default location for XML files is your Documents folder, not Downloads, but if you previously saved one to Downloads, maybe Reflect is showing your last used location. Anyhow, you can certainly move your XML file elsewhere, but you’ll then need to follow those instructions I posted again in order to recreate the scheduled tasks and have Reflect “re-register” the XML file in its new location within the application.

Different types of backups (Full/Diff/Inc) each get their own scheduled task even when they’re associated with the same XML file. The reason is that scheduled tasks need to specify a particular command to run, and the desired backup type is specified as a parameter of the command that launches Reflect. But you didn’t have to delete the actual backups themselves, just the scheduled tasks that create them.
Edited 20 April 2019 7:05 PM by jphughan
Jim
Jim
Thanks again.  I hate to bother you, but how do I make Macrium save the xml file to Documents since when I create the task it doesn't give me an option, it just puts them in my Download folder?  I've actually copied and pasted it in my Documents folder but Macrium didn't find it.

Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
If you have them in your DOCUMENTS folder and REFLECT sees no definition files, just use the "+" (add) button in the toolbar above and drill to where you have your definitions in Documents then select each definition separately and do the add.  They will now be seen in your REFLECT Backup Definitions pane.  Do it for each of your existing definitions.

When creating new ones, make sure you specify your "new" definition folder during the creation process (done during the last step of the definition creation process).

Edited 20 April 2019 7:44 PM by Froggie
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
At the end of the wizard where you create a backup job, you have a checkbox to save it as an XML file. If you check that, there’s a field to specify a name. To the right of that field is a button you can click to choose where to save it.
Jim
Jim
Thxs!
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
If I remember correctly, per what jp said before, Reflect does remember the last location of XML files it saved.  So, that may be why the folder was no longer in Documents.  I seem to recall when I create new XML files, it places them on my external USB HDD, where I directed Reflect to load/save XML files in the past.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search