Cloud backup

Author
Andreas
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm new to Macrium and a little disappointed, that Cloud backup isn't supported.
I want to use AWS S3 bucket. Will it work with a driveletter mounting tool though? I googled TNTDrive.
Thank you.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
Keep in mind that whatever location you choose to back up to should be accessible from the Rescue Media environment so that you can actually restore your system rather than just backing it up — unless you’ll always have another PC to work with in a disaster situation and would be able and willing to download the necessary backup files to something like an external hard drive in order to restore the dead PC. The Rescue environment only has native support for accessing Windows SMB network shares.

For what it’s worth, OneDrive supports access via mapped drive: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/map-onedrive-network-drive
Edited 18 April 2019 6:57 PM by jphughan
Andreas
Andreas
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Thank you @jphughan
good point, regarding the restore situation. Though, we have plenty of PC's in the office, it's not that much of a problem. It (hopefully) is a rare case anyway. I consider to download the backup files from Cloud to some external USB hard drive and restore the dead pc from there. I suppose this works with Macrium without problems.

Main reason for Cloud though: we want to replace our former uncoordinated NAS and external drive backup strategy, with a unified cloud based storage for the whole company. Also we want to enable backups, away from LAN. We are bound to AWS S3 bucket though, the AWS glacier is perfect for long term, deep archives. Which we want to do with Macrium images. I will try this TNTDrive tool, to map Cloud to drive letters. Downside though, it's another considerable license fee.

Thanks again for your help!
Andreas

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
If that other tool is expensive, make sure that you test it both when running backup jobs interactively within the user session and when running them in the background as scheduled tasks, assuming the latter is something you'll want to do in your use case.  The reason I say that is that if this tool just maps a drive letter as opposed to exposing AWS through an actual UNC path, that's unlikely to be a viable solution for a few reasons.  First, drive letter mappings are specific to individual user sessions, but by default Windows does not make mapped drives created in the standard user context available to applications running with elevated privileges, even when those elevated applications are also running under the same user context.  This is documented in this KB article, and as you'll see, there is a workaround available for that issue.  But the other issue is worse.  If a mapped drive letter is created in the context of the logged-on user, then after applying that workaround, things will be fine for Reflect jobs that are manually launched in that user context, such as by right-clicking a definition file and selecting Run Now, because that job will run in the user's context and therefore have access to that mapping.  However, Reflect jobs that run in the background as scheduled tasks run under the SYSTEM account by default, and that context would NOT have access to mapped drive letters created in the context of the logged-on user.  And I believe (but am not completely certain) that even if you were to reconfigure Reflect to run scheduled tasks under the logged-on user's credentials, the background execution would still occur under a different context and therefore not have access to that drive letter mapping, even with that workaround applied.  This is all why the best practice is to access network paths by UNC paths rather than mapped drive letters.  If that's not possible for your use case, you might find that drive letters are not a viable alternative.

Edited 19 April 2019 3:49 AM by jphughan
Andreas
Andreas
Thank you! This is very valuable information. I encountered this system account problem before. I tried to present a dialog in a powershell script which didn't work with scheduled backups. I will try this tool however, and let you know. Given your thoughts, I doubt it'll work for our purpose.

Does Macrium consider cloud support in the near future? I think, it's urgent. It will replace all those local storage drives sooner or later. Especially AWS is so flexible, scalable and cheap.

BTW: AWS provides a comprehensive API and SDK to access their cloud storage. Lots of business processes use S3 buckets and other AWS services. Maybe easy to support with Macrium.

Edited 19 April 2019 12:31 PM by Andreas
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
You’d have to ask them, and/or create a Wish List thread. I know FTP support has been requested for a while. I also know that some people back up to a local or at least LAN destination first in order to get the backup done quickly (and possibly retain a copy locally) and then use another application to replicate that backup to the cloud. I use a fantastic replication/sync called Allway Sync that can do this. It supports a ton of cloud providers, and if you spend the time looking at its settings, it is extremely flexible. You can sync between an arbitrary number of locations so that for each file it will figure out which location has the newest version and copy that to the other locations (or delete it if that was the most recent event), or you can have a one-way sync where a certain source is always considered authoritative. You can sync manually or automatically, and the latter can be based on all sorts of triggers (schedule, changes to data, etc.) And my favorite feature is the Analyze run. When you perform a manual sync, it will analyze the situation and show you what will happen if you click Sync, e.g. “The version of this file at this location will be copied to the others, and this other file will be deleted, etc.” — and you can then override those normal actions on a per-file basis! So if you don’t want to bother syncing a particularly large file during that particular run, skip it. Or bring back an older version of a file from a specific location to all other locations, etc. And amazingly, this app is free as long as your 30-day average usage doesn’t exceed what they consider normal personal use, although even the paid version is inexpensive.
Andreas
Andreas
Excellent, you read my thoughts. If this driveletter-tool doesn't work, I ran out of ideas. This might be a solution. I will look for Allway Sync. For now, I leave my computer alone for a few days. Thanks a lot and happy easter!
Andreas

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Happy to help, and you too! Smile
rlcronin
rlcronin
Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)Junior Member (79 reputation)
Andreas - 19 April 2019 12:57 PM
Excellent, you read my thoughts. If this driveletter-tool doesn't work, I ran out of ideas. This might be a solution. I will look for Allway Sync. For now, I leave my computer alone for a few days. Thanks a lot and happy easter!
Andreas

Maybe have a look at CloudBerry as well? It didn't meet my needs, but might be more suited to your situation.

--
bc
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (4.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (4.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Thanks for your posts. 

If it helps, we have a KB article on using Azure file shares for backup and restore. Please see here:

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW72/Backup+to+the+cloud+with+Azure+File+Shares

Note that PE fully supports connecting to Azure file shares. Unattended system restores using the rescue media will work as if the Azure share is local.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Edited 26 April 2019 2:09 PM by Nick
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore