Restore Image > Boots > Black Screen after OS Menu [via CBT = DAMAGED INDEX ENTRIES]

Restore Image > Boots > Black Screen after OS Menu [via CBT = DAMAGED...
Author
Lars
New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Reflect Home v7.4156. Created "System" Image with (three) Incremental parts with W10 Pro 64-Bit v10.1809.17763.379

System Media (Original Source) = Samsung SSD 860 PRO 4TB (most current firmware)

Event occurred requiring restore. Restore procedure appears to work correctly. Upon booting OS Menu appears select or allow for default (as usual) and expect login screen (usually appears instantly). However, screen goes BLACK and there is hard disk activity. Booting into "SAFE" mode results in same BLACK screen.

Dell Precision 7720 with Nvidia Quadro P5000 video (most current firmware and video drivers)

Please advise solution or procedures to resolve.

Thank you.

Edited 18 April 2019 10:45 PM by Lars
JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Lars - 10 April 2019 6:02 PM
Reflect Home v7.4156. Created "System" Image with (three) Incremental​ parts with W10 Pro 64-Bit v10.1809.17763.379

System Media (Original Source) = Samsung SSD 860 PRO 4TB​ (most current firmware)

​​

Event occurred requiring restore​. Restore procedure appears to work correctly. Upon booting OS Menu appears select or allow for default (as usual) and expect login screen (usually appears instantly). However, screen goes BLACK and there is hard disk activity. Booting into "SAFE" mode results in same BLACK screen.

Dell Precision 7720 with Nvidia Quadro P5000 video (most current firmware and video drivers)

Please advise solution or procedures to resolve.

Thank you.​​​​​​
​​​

Hi Lars,

Please can you open a support ticket at http://www.macrium.com/support so that we can collect some more information.

Kind Regards,
Macrium Support​​​​​​​

Kind regards,

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

Lars
Lars
New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)New Member (37 reputation)
JamieW - 11 April 2019 7:05 AM
Please can you open a support ticket at http://www.macrium.com/support so that we can collect some more information.

Kind Regards,
Macrium Support

Jamie, Opened Ticket 130264: Restore Image > Boots > Black Screen after OS Menu

However, your automated system is saying I'm out of support, implying the ticket will either go into limbo or be closed.

Lars
Lars
Installed v7.2.4156 on FULL Image= without CBT (Test #A) and then with CBT (Test #B):
FULL Image Backup with CHKDSK on mounted backup image.
#A (without CBT) passed
#B (with CBT) passed

INCREMENTAL (CBT NOT INSTALLED) and then CHKDSK
#A (without CBT) passed
#B (with CBT) passed
DELETED INCREMENTAL file segments from both #A and #B

INCREMENTAL (CBT INSTALLED) and then CHKDSK
#A (without CBT) FAILED
#B (with CBT) FAILED
DELETED INCREMENTAL file segments from both #A and #B

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Not sure how to account for the failure above, but fyi you didn't need to create two separate Fulls.  CBT is never used for a Full even when it's installed because the point of CBT is to figure out the blocks that have changed since the most recent backup in the set, and a Full is always the first backup of a new set.  The test can be simplified to this:

- Install CBT, confirm it's monitoring your backup source
- Create Full (CBT will not be used)
- Create Incremental (confirm Reflect used CBT)
- Mount Incremental and run CHKDSK against it
- Delete Incremental, disable/uninstall CBT, create new Incremental
- Mount new Incremental and run CHKDSK against it

Edited 12 April 2019 8:05 PM by jphughan
Lars
Lars
jphughan - 12 April 2019 7:18 PM
Not sure how to account for the failure above, but fyi you didn't need to create two separate Fulls.  CBT is never used for a Full even when it's installed because the point of CBT is to figure out the blocks that have changed since the most recent backup in the set, and a Full is always the first backup of a new set.  The test can be simplified to this:

- Install CBT
- Create Full (CBT will not be used)
- Create Incremental (confirm Reflect used CBT)
- Run CHKDSK
- Delete Incremental, disable/uninstall CBT, create new Incremental
- Run CHKDSK

Good to know! Thanks!
Lars
Lars
Any work being done to fix this? If you can't restore it isn't correctly backing up the image even when it reports it's 'valid'.

JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)Macrium Representative (348 reputation)
Lars - 18 April 2019 10:46 PM
Any work being done to fix this? If you can't restore it isn't correctly backing up the image even when it reports it's 'valid'.

Hi Lars,

I've sent you an email via the support ticket.

Kind Regards,
Macrium Support​​​​​

​​​

Kind regards,

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

Keith Weisshar
Keith Weisshar
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (350 reputation)Proficient Member (350 reputation)Proficient Member (350 reputation)Proficient Member (350 reputation)Proficient Member (350 reputation)Proficient Member (350 reputation)Proficient Member (350 reputation)Proficient Member (350 reputation)Proficient Member (350 reputation)Proficient Member (350 reputation)
I’m having the same issue and I need to reinstall Windows. I’m out of support. I’m stuck in a reboot loop. I’m posting this from my iPad Pro 10.5 inch with Bluetooth keyboard since I don’t have another working PC. My Macrium license is still registered to this PC that can no longer boot and I can’t deactivate the license before reinstalling Windows because I can no longer boot into the desktop. This happened after restoring the synthetic full backup image after consolidating the full and incremental. I don’t have any other full backups to restore and I need to reformat and reinstall Windows. Can you please reply on this forum ASAP. My Macrium email support is already expired. I have CBT installed. When I ran chkdsk c: /f from Windows RE it found a lot of damaged index entries.  I had to completely reinstall Windows from scratch due to the file system corruption after restoring consolidated full backup which contains the incrementals with CBT enabled.  This is a critical data loss issue with CBT that needs to be fixed ASAP.   I have Macrium Reflect Home Edition v7.2.4156.
Edited 21 April 2019 6:02 PM by Keith Weisshar
JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Keith Weisshar - 21 April 2019 6:58 AM
I’m having the same issue and I need to reinstall Windows. I’m out of support. I’m stuck in a reboot loop. I’m posting this from my iPad Pro 10.5 inch with Bluetooth keyboard since I don’t have another working PC. My Macrium license is still registered to this PC that can no longer boot and I can’t deactivate the license before reinstalling Windows because I can no longer boot into the desktop. This happened after restoring the synthetic full backup image after consolidating the full and incremental. I don’t have any other full backups to restore and I need to reformat and reinstall Windows. Can you please reply on this forum ASAP. My Macrium email support is already expired. I have CBT installed. When I ran chkdsk c: /f from Windows RE it found a lot of damaged index entries.  I had to completely reinstall Windows from scratch due to the file system corruption after restoring consolidated full backup which contains the incrementals with CBT enabled.  This is a serious issue with CBT that needs to be fixed ASAP.

Hi Keith,

​Please can you ​​​open a support ticket at http://www.macrium.com/support

We understand that you are out of support, but we need to collect some more information and your ticket will not be rejected.

​Kind Regards,
Macrium Support​

Kind regards,

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login