Multiple instances of reflect msi in Windows installer folder

Author
ParrotSlave
New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
In C:\Windows\Installer on my Win 8.1 64-bit system, I have 10 different files with the name format reflect_setup#.#.####-x64-10.msi, where # is a numerical value. The oldest one is reflect_setup6.1.909-x64-10.msi; there are five msi files for Reflect v6, and five of the v7 version of Reflect. There is no msi for the installed version I have, 7.2.4063,
This is not a reflection on Macrium, since this is presumably a built-in problem of Windows, one of long-standing (although some software is worse than others about leaving bits and pieces here and there; the most notorious one that comes to mind would be NVIDIA.)
I'm morally certain that there could not possibly be any use for the v6 installers, but, one never knows whether a feature that appeared in one particular iteration of the installer might, somehow, still make that file necessary. That's a little more than half a gigabyte of space being used, and I suspect that only the most recent one or two should be there. Those of us with SSDs are becoming more cognizant of whatever it is that makes the free space on our drives shrink so fast. Using Macrium, I am shocked every time I do a restoration at the difference in my C-drive size. Perhaps Macrium ought to advise us on what's safe to delete.

Edited 2 April 2019 12:03 PM by ParrotSlave
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)
Group: Administrators
ParrotSlave - 2 April 2019 12:01 PM
In C:\Windows\Installer on my Win 8.1 64-bit system, I have 10 different files with the name format reflect_setup#.#.####-x64-10.msi, where # is a numerical value. The oldest one is reflect_setup6.1.909-x64-10.msi; there are five msi files for Reflect v6, and five of the v7 version of Reflect. There is no msi for the installed version I have, 7.2.4063,
This is not a reflection on Macrium, since this is presumably a built-in problem of Windows, one of long-standing (although some software is worse than others about leaving bits and pieces here and there; the most notorious one that comes to mind would be NVIDIA.)
I'm morally certain that there could not possibly be any use for the v6 installers, but, one never knows whether a feature that appeared in one particular iteration of the installer might, somehow, still make that file necessary. That's a little more than half a gigabyte of space being used, and I suspect that only the most recent one or two should be there. Those of us with SSDs are becoming more cognizant of whatever it is that makes the free space on our drives shrink so fast. Using Macrium, I am shocked every time I do a restoration at the difference in my C-drive size. Perhaps Macrium ought to advise us on what's safe to delete.

Thanks for posting

You can safely delete any 'reflect_setupxxxxxx.msi' files in the 'C:\Windows\Installer' folder for older versions that are not currently installed. Please leave all other files in place.

Kind Regards

Nick

Macrium Support

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

Reflecting Mirror
Reflecting Mirror
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (426 reputation)Advanced Member (426 reputation)Advanced Member (426 reputation)Advanced Member (426 reputation)Advanced Member (426 reputation)Advanced Member (426 reputation)Advanced Member (426 reputation)Advanced Member (426 reputation)Advanced Member (426 reputation)Advanced Member (426 reputation)
Sorry to post on an old thread, however I discovered an old Reflect WinPE file in the C:\Windows\Installer directory.

On my system it was the pe10_1607x64.zip file.

Since the pe10_1607x64.zip file's date and time match the same date and time as an older Reflect installer, I determine that the pe10_1607x64.zip file was from the older Reflect installer.

I proceeded to delete all the old Reflect installers and the old Reflect pe10_1607x64.zip file while leaving the current Reflect installer and the WinPE pe10_1709x64.zip files.

Just an FYI to others wanting to clean-up their C:\Windows\Installer of old Reflect installations.
Edited 18 February 2020 12:57 AM by Reflecting Mirror
pOpY
pOpY
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Same issue here with site manager, I did updates since ~2018 and had 8GB Setup FIles in the installer directory (every version which was updated).
Would be nice if this could be cleaned up automatically in the future?

Reflecting Mirror
Reflecting Mirror
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (426 reputation)Advanced Member (426 reputation)Advanced Member (426 reputation)Advanced Member (426 reputation)Advanced Member (426 reputation)Advanced Member (426 reputation)Advanced Member (426 reputation)Advanced Member (426 reputation)Advanced Member (426 reputation)Advanced Member (426 reputation)
And I request for the Home edition to automatically cleanup the older Reflect installations.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search