File system bitmap fragmented - Error code = 8. Please run the Windows defrag utility

Author
Gilberto Junior
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,
I use macrium v7.2.4063

When I run disk image show below error.

Image file bitmap error - Error: Failed to verify, Reason:
File system bitmap fragmented -
Error code = 8. Please run the Windows defrag utility

I run defrag windows several times and the error continues.
Any ideas how to solve this?

Regards

Gilberto Junior

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Gilberto Junior - 23 March 2019 2:39 AM
Hi all,
I use macrium v7.2.4063

When I run disk image show below error.

Image file bitmap error - Error: Failed to verify, Reason:
File system bitmap fragmented -
Error code = 8. Please run the Windows defrag utility

I run defrag windows several times and the error continues.
Any ideas how to solve this?

Regards

Gilberto Junior

Thanks for posting. Sorry you are having problems.

This error indicates that drive 'C' has fragmentation in the NTFS meta data that's causing a problem for Macrium Reflect. This is a rare situation that can usually be resolved by shrinking and then immediately expanding the file system to its original size using the Windows Disk Management Console. 

1. Open the DMC by typing diskmgmt.msc in the Windows search box:

2. Right click on drive C and select 'Shrink Volume', accept the defaults and click the 'Shrink' button:

3. Right click on drive 'C' again and, 'Extend Volume', click through the Wizard and click 'Finish'

This will return drive C to its original size.

When finished try to create your image again.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Gilberto Junior
Gilberto Junior
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
Hi,

I shrinking and then immediately expanding the file system to its original size using the Windows Disk Management Console. But Macrium after this not working. Show same error File system bitmap fragmented.
Tested backup partition separate macrium working. Backup in separate parition 1 or 3 working normal. Only partition 2 this problem.
I also uninstalled and installed macrium again, same show same error.

What do you think can solve this?
Thanks you.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)
Gilberto Junior - 25 March 2019 10:42 AM
Hi,

I shrinking and then immediately expanding the file system to its original size using the Windows Disk Management Console. But Macrium after this not working. Show same error File system bitmap fragmented.
Tested backup partition separate macrium working. Backup in separate parition 1 or 3 working normal. Only partition 2 this problem.

Thanks you.

Thanks for getting back. Sorry that didn't work out for you.

Unfortunately it looks like this file system isn't going to be able to be imaged. Have you ever been able to image it in the past?

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Gilberto Junior
Gilberto Junior
Nick - 25 March 2019 2:08 PM
Hi,

Thanks you.

Unfortunately it looks like this file system isn't going to be able to be imaged. Have you ever been able to image it in the past?

It's firts time image the partition. The disc is new. Partition was created with macrium restore coming from the old disk.
After backup image backup not working.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Gilberto Junior - 25 March 2019 2:32 PM
Hi,

Thanks you.

It's firts time image the partition. The disc is new. Partition was created with macrium restore coming from the old disk.

Was the file system shrunk or extended as part of the restore process? Or was it restored the same size as the original?

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Gilberto Junior
Gilberto Junior
Nick - 25 March 2019 2:40 PM
Hi,

Thanks you.

Was the file system shrunk or extended as part of the restore process? Or was it restored the same size as the original?

System was extended. Old disk was less capacity, new disk has larger capacity. After restore I have extended partition drive C:

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Gilberto Junior - 25 March 2019 3:15 PM
Hi,

Thanks you.

System was extended. Old disk was less capacity, new disk has larger capacity. After restore I have extended partition drive C:

So it was restored the same size and extended after the restore?

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Gilberto Junior
Gilberto Junior
Nick - 25 March 2019 3:35 PM
Gilberto Junior - 25 March 2019 3:15 PM
Hi,

Thanks you.

So it was restored the same size and extended after the restore?

yes,
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search