Revert back to a snapshot of Site Manager server

Author
NJK-Work
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (299 reputation)Proficient Member (299 reputation)Proficient Member (299 reputation)Proficient Member (299 reputation)Proficient Member (299 reputation)Proficient Member (299 reputation)Proficient Member (299 reputation)Proficient Member (299 reputation)Proficient Member (299 reputation)Proficient Member (299 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Lets say I take a VMware snapshot of my Site Manager server before an upgrade...just in case.  After the upgrade it automatically deploys the latest agent to all my managed machines.  I have found no way to prevent this - it just does it.

Then lets say I let it sit for a few day to make sure all the backups run correctly and I run into problems.  So I revert my Site Manager VM back to my snapshot.  However, all my clients still have the latest agent.  Is this OK?  Can I use new agents with an older version of Site Manager?
Thanks
NK
Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)
Group: Moderators
NJK-Work - 15 March 2019 8:58 PM
Lets say I take a VMware snapshot of my Site Manager server before an upgrade...just in case.  After the upgrade it automatically deploys the latest agent to all my managed machines.  I have found no way to prevent this - it just does it.

Then lets say I let it sit for a few day to make sure all the backups run correctly and I run into problems.  So I revert my Site Manager VM back to my snapshot.  However, all my clients still have the latest agent.  Is this OK?  Can I use new agents with an older version of Site Manager?
Thanks
NK

Hi NK,

In general, we don't guarantee that newer agents are always backwards compatible - though they usually are as we try to avoid making breaking changes to the agent comms unless it's absolutely necessary. 
If you are concerned about updating, you can create the following registry key/value:
Key: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macrium\Site Manager\Disable Agent Auto Update
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1

Setting this will prevent Site Manager from updating agents until the registry key is deleted or set to 0. This can be used to temporarily prevent agents from upgrading until you've done any testing that needs doing with the new release. In the next major Site Manager release, these options will be part of the Site Manager UI so that you can selectively upgrade agents.

Regards,
Alex

Kind Regards,

Alex

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

NJK-Work
NJK-Work
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (299 reputation)Proficient Member (299 reputation)Proficient Member (299 reputation)Proficient Member (299 reputation)Proficient Member (299 reputation)Proficient Member (299 reputation)Proficient Member (299 reputation)Proficient Member (299 reputation)Proficient Member (299 reputation)Proficient Member (299 reputation)
Alex - 18 March 2019 9:35 AM

Thanks
NK

Hi NK,

In general, we don't guarantee that newer agents are always backwards compatible - though they usually are as we try to avoid making breaking changes to the agent comms unless it's absolutely necessary. 
If you are concerned about updating, you can create the following registry key/value:
Key: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macrium\Site Manager\Disable Agent Auto Update

Setting this will prevent Site Manager from updating agents until the registry key is deleted or set to 0. This can be used to temporarily prevent agents from upgrading until you've done any testing that needs doing with the new release. In the next major Site Manager release, these options will be part of the Site Manager UI so that you can selectively upgrade agents.

Regards,
Alex

Thanks for the registry tip.
N
NJK-Work
NJK-Work
Proficient Member
Alex - 18 March 2019 9:35 AM

Thanks
NK

Hi NK,

Regards,
Alex

FYI - I set my Site Manager "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macrium\Site Manager\Disable Agent Auto Update" to 1 (since the version I was at did not have the GUI method to do this yet) and then did the upgrade to the latest version today because I did not want my clients switching to the new 51515 port agent yet.  However, the upgrade must automatically set it to 0 because when I checked, all my agents were upgrading and the registry was set to 0.
Can you have the developers change the code so that future upgrades to not switch it back to 0?  That sort of defeats the purpose of setting it to 1 in the first place...
Thanks
NK
Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi NK,

Apologies for the inconvenience! The newest release has changed the agent update prevention flag from a registry key to being exposed in the UI - it's now managed through the Settings -> Agent page of the Site Manager. When this change got made, the registry setting was synchronized with the settings option, which defaults to auto update. 

This is a one time thing as we moved the feature from being an informal registry key fix to a fully documented and supported feature - future updates will not modify this setting.

Regards,
Alex

Kind Regards,

Alex

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...