Backup a network share or mapped drive.

Author
PeterSM
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi I wish to backup a NAS drive which is presented as either a  mapped network drive or via UNC.
I cannot browse the network to find the folder.
Is there a way to do this.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Whether you're identifying a NAS share as the source of a backup or the destination, you should always use UNC paths rather than mapped drives.  It's easier to maintain and less error-prone since mapped dives are per-user and can be changed around to different letters.  But the ability to just browse the network became more complicated starting with Windows 10 1709.  Basically, that capability (originally known as Network Neighborhood) relied on a very old and very insecure protocol called SMBv1.  That was disabled by default starting with Windows 10 1709.  And I'm just now realizing that because the File & Folder browse dialogue uses the simple tree browser rather than the file browser, the typical suggestion of typing in just the first part of a path into the Name field and browsing from then on won't work.  In that case I would suggest doing it in Windows Explorer instead, i.e. type at least the name of your NAS as the first part of your UNC path (e.g. \\MYNAS) into the Address bar in Windows Explorer, then browse to the folder you want to back up.  When you're viewing it, click the Address bar again to make it selectable text, and copy/paste that into Reflect's "Folder to back up" field

Hal
Hal
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
jphughan - 14 December 2018 2:54 PM
Whether you're identifying a NAS share as the source of a backup or the destination, you should always use UNC paths rather than mapped drives.  It's easier to maintain and less error-prone since mapped dives are per-user and can be changed around to different letters.  But the ability to just browse the network became more complicated starting with Windows 10 1709.  Basically, that capability (originally known as Network Neighborhood) relied on a very old and very insecure protocol called SMBv1.  That was disabled by default starting with Windows 10 1709.  And I'm just now realizing that because the File & Folder browse dialogue uses the simple tree browser rather than the file browser, the typical suggestion of typing in just the first part of a path into the Name field and browsing from then on won't work.  In that case I would suggest doing it in Windows Explorer instead, i.e. type at least the name of your NAS as the first part of your UNC path (e.g. \\MYNAS) into the Address bar in Windows Explorer, then browse to the folder you want to back up.  When you're viewing it, click the Address bar again to make it selectable text, and copy/paste that into Reflect's "Folder to back up" field
Pasting the UNC path does not work. The error returned is "Invalid selection, Nothing selected, Select a folder for backup"
It appears that you must tick one of the boxes on the left in order to then enter a path on the right.
So I have not found a way to backup a network shared folder. I tried mapping the share as a drive but the mapped drive does not show up on the list on the left.
Is there another way to backup a network shared folder?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Hal - 17 February 2022 11:09 PM
Pasting the UNC path does not work. The error returned is "Invalid selection, Nothing selected, Select a folder for backup"
It appears that you must tick one of the boxes on the left in order to then enter a path on the right.
So I have not found a way to backup a network shared folder. I tried mapping the share as a drive but the mapped drive does not show up on the list on the left.
Is there another way to backup a network shared folder?

Is it possible that your copy/paste operation is adding a space at the beginning and/or end of the path?  Entering a UNC path should work.  There's a Network node you can click on in the left-hand column if needed.  Have you tried just typing the UNC path into the text field in the upper-right corner?  It will trigger an autocomplete at least after you specify the initial server and share name, so even if you have a long path, it shouldn't be too cumbersome.

Edited 18 February 2022 7:54 AM by jphughan
Jay2360329
Jay2360329
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Although this topic is somewhat stale, I wanted to share my experience with defining backup destinations on a network.
Macrium does not list nor accept a mapped drive as a target destination for the backup. Example:
X:\NAS\Share\Macrium_Backups

Macrium does accept two alternatives. Either keying in and using the IP address of the NAS:
\\192.168.x.y\Share\Macrium_Backups

or using the alias host name for the associated IP address as defined in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file:
\\NAS1\Share\Macrium_Backups

Hope this helps.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
You technically CAN use mapped drives in Reflect, and people have. But they only work for interactive backups excited while the mapping is available. But your example above wouldn’t work for a different reason. A mapped drive points to a host and share. So if the UNC path was \\NAS1\Share\Macrium_Backups, then the mapped drive path would be just X:\Macrium_Backups. If you could even map the drive all the way into a subfolder so the target would be just X.

Using the hosts file is also a terrible practice. It does work, but it inevitably ends up causing problems later when you make a change and things don’t work as expected, and you pull a bunch of your hair out before you remember that hosts file modification you made way back when. Any modern NAS should be reachable on the network by its configured hostname without having to use a hosts file modification. But if that isn’t feasible, then I would use an IP address instead.
Edited 2 April 2023 4:55 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search