New issue - running a scheduled full backup ran twice

Author
dbminter
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Good question.  I checked some of my tasks and not all of my Macrium tasks have Synchronize enabled.  I only enabled it on those specific tasks that were running twice.  Since the issue appears to be random and doesn't affect all tasks, I'd just edit those tasks that are running twice.  Although, I can't foresee a problem enabling it on all of them.  But, there's also that old adage: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

BobUlius
BobUlius
Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)
OK, see ya back here on Feb 1st Smile Hopefully with good news.

Thanks for all the advice.

BobUlius
BobUlius
Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)
Welcome to Feb 1st. Long month waiting to see what happened. Ran twice. But please look at the following carefully to see what it did. And note, of the three scheduled actions for 5:00 AM (monthy, Monday, Daily) the only one set to synch across time zones is the monthly full. But I do not think that is the issue, but it might be.

Here is my folder yesterday:

This is today:

And here is the backup plan:

See anything of interest? What shall I try for March? Smile
Thanks.

~Bob

MichaelP
MichaelP
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
BobUlius - 1 February 2020 3:08 PM
Welcome to Feb 1st. Long month waiting to see what happened. Ran twice. But please look at the following carefully to see what it did. And note, of the three scheduled actions for 5:00 AM (monthy, Monday, Daily) the only one set to synch across time zones is the monthly full. But I do not think that is the issue, but it might be.

Here is my folder yesterday:

This is today:

And here is the backup plan:

See anything of interest? What shall I try for March? Smile
Thanks.

~Bob

Hi, I'd just like to point out that it is possible in Macrium to copy definition files for backup and restore purposes. Perhaps this facility can be used to back up pre and post date changed versions. Regards, Michael

BobUlius
BobUlius
Thanks Michael. Not quite sure what that would do for me?

Let me add to the puzzle:

I have 2 definition files that are VERY similar but not matching. one backs up to an external drive, one to a NAS. The external drive runs twice for FULL on the 1st. The NAS never runs twice. Simplified, this is what they look like:
External:                                  NAS
Full 1:00 AM 1st                       4:00 AM 1st
Diff 1:00 AM Every Sunday        5:00 AM Every Monday
Incr 1:00 AM Every Day             5:00 AM Every Day

BOTH:
Retain     3 Full
              4 weeks Diff
             15 days Incr   
Could these simple difference make the difference why one runs twice? And the one that runs twice is the one synced over time zones.

Thanks!

dbminter
dbminter
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
Wasn't the reason you set synchronize across time zones to begin with was because it was running twice already?

BobUlius
BobUlius
dbminter - 2 February 2020 4:15 PM
Wasn't the reason you set synchronize across time zones to begin with was because it was running twice already?

Exactly. And it seems it did not work. This is the first test since that was recommended and implemented.

dbminter
dbminter
Master
Then, you can probably rule out it was the synchronizing across time zones that did it, as you questioned earlier, since it was already doing it before.  It is most likely just coincidence that your other two jobs to NAS aren't affected and your external drive is.  This issue occurs randomly, for apparently no known reason.  Like why Task Scheduler decided to Disable HALF of my scheduled Monthly backup tasks recently and I only just discovered this yesterday..

BobUlius
BobUlius
dbminter - 2 February 2020 5:49 PM
Then, you can probably rule out it was the synchronizing across time zones that did it, as you questioned earlier, since it was already doing it before.  It is most likely just coincidence that your other two jobs to NAS aren't affected and your external drive is.  This issue occurs randomly, for apparently no known reason.  Like why Task Scheduler decided to Disable HALF of my scheduled Monthly backup tasks recently and I only just discovered this yesterday..

Hah!

I went ahead and changed the Full at 4:00 AM to 5:00 AM so both Definitions are identical except for time of day and drive. Doubt that is it and hope all of the above helps someone to say., AHA, its this....Not even sure if deleting the definition file and recreating would help or make things worse.

MichaelP
MichaelP
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
BobUlius - 2 February 2020 2:02 PM
Thanks Michael. Not quite sure what that would do for me?

Let me add to the puzzle:

I have 2 definition files that are VERY similar but not matching. one backs up to an external drive, one to a NAS. The external drive runs twice for FULL on the 1st. The NAS never runs twice. Simplified, this is what they look like:
External:                                  NAS
Full 1:00 AM 1st                       4:00 AM 1st
Diff 1:00 AM Every Sunday        5:00 AM Every Monday
Incr 1:00 AM Every Day             5:00 AM Every Day

BOTH:
Retain     3 Full
              4 weeks Diff
             15 days Incr   
Could these simple difference make the difference why one runs twice? And the one that runs twice is the one synced over time zones.

Thanks!

Sorry to be obtuse. I misunderstood. Not having read the thread very carefully I inferred there may be versions for before and after time change and that changing them was a bit of bother. Having a copy of each version to be restored from backup seemed to make life easier.
Incidentally, I use the facility to copy between computers requiring me to make very few changes.
Good luck with your endeavours.
Best regards, Michael

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search